Scotland

A couple of suggestions for tweaks.

Trait: "Highland Ingenuity" Worked hill tiles provide +1 food and +20% combat strength for units on hills. (as you had before) Generally set up to make settling in hilly areas more appealing than other civs would find.)

Unit: "Citizen Scout" Replaces the normal scout. Half cost, -1 strength. Encourages quick early exploration, but at the cost of being even weaker than the normal scout.

Building: I feel that your Clan Castle is an excellent UB and wouldn't change it a bit.

I would agree with Dunfermline as the capital, to avoid the clash with the Edinburgh city state. Many of the Scots kings are buried there, and there are strong associations with Robert the Bruce.

I wondered about giving all melee units Survivalism_I, as highland warriors were always supposed to be resilient and hardy.

How about a Kirk as the unique building? +2 culture, +3 productivity and -1 happiness?

A couple of suggestions for tweaks.

Trait: "Highland Ingenuity" Worked hill tiles provide +1 food and +20% combat strength for units on hills. (as you had before) Generally set up to make settling in hilly areas more appealing than other civs would find.)

Unit: "Citizen Scout" Replaces the normal scout. Half cost, -1 strength. Encourages quick early exploration, but at the cost of being even weaker than the normal scout.

Building: I feel that your Clan Castle is an excellent UB and wouldn't change it a bit.[/QUOTE]

Created graphics for citizen scout too? Anyway new trait sounds much fairer. 15 pro cent + would be to powerfull ;)

I was very excited about everything in this civ except its trait.

What clues in history do we have about Scotland being tecnologicaly superior to any other country in Europe?

I suspect the reason for the research bonus is for the many inventors to have come from scotland (James Watt, John Logie Baird, Sir Alexander Fleming, Alexander Graham Bel, to name but a few)

However, i think its pretty obvious that a 15% research bonus is far too high.

Very cool to see the Scots get their turn. A few recommendations;

* Leader - It's a bit disingenuous to call William Wallace a leader of Scotland, at best he was a general or a minor noble. David I or Robert the Bruce would likely be better choices, but that's more of a historical accuracy issue than a game play issue.

* Unique Ability - As mentioned, 15% research bonus is waaaay too high. Scotland is reknowned for its inventors - Scotland should have a mirror of Babylon's UA;

Inventiveness: Scotland generates Great Engineers at 150% rate. Free Great Engineer at Steam Power.

* UB - the Castle no longer has a maintenance cost, making the Scot UB worse off than the building it replaces. I agree that the Clan Castle is a good choice for the Scottish UB if there has to be one, but it needs to be improved - consider the Mughul Fort which gives gold after flight & has a higher defense. I'd go a route to match the UA - give the Clan Castle the same bonus of a Garden, +25% great people.

* UU - Can't go wrong with the Highlander. Solid choice there.

Hey I love the mod, had to download this because I just finished a project on Scotland's history.

I just have one idea though. I understand that William Wallace is probably the most famous historical figure, but Robert The Bruce I think is a much better leader for the country considering...

1. He was actually a king.
2. He was successful in creating an Independent Scotland.
3. He was involved in more battles than William Wallace was.
4. He was arguably the best king Scotland ever had.

I don't mind Wallace, just think Robert made more of an impact to the actual history of Scotland. What does anyone else think?

The other thing that I found was that Christianity is very important historically. I can completely understand going with the science boost due to the enlightenment. Overall a solid mod.

Hey I love the mod, had to download this because I just finished a project on Scotland's history.

I just have one idea though. I understand that William Wallace is probably the most famous historical figure, but Robert The Bruce I think is a much better leader for the country considering...

1. He was actually a king.
2. He was successful in creating an Independent Scotland.
3. He was involved in more battles than William Wallace was.
4. He was arguably the best king Scotland ever had.

I don't mind Wallace, just think Robert made more of an impact to the actual history of Scotland. What does anyone else think?

The other thing that I found was that Christianity is very important historically. I can completely understand going with the science boost due to the enlightenment. Overall a solid mod.

Yeah, I'd been thinking the Bruce would've been a better leader to use.

I've fixed it.

Give me a day or two to finish customizing it and I'll package it up and release it.

I'm going to take ownership since this is nearly a year old and no one else is interested.

Hi Soneji, please post again when you've updated it I'm looking forward to using it cheers!

Haven't had the chance to do much else really.

Looking at leaderheads and modelling at the moment, something I've never dabbled with before.

I've just ammended the OP's xml, it was more convienent than finding the DVD I stuck mine on since I formatted, which had the same problems. I'll go back to my own as some of the coding in this is a bit odd to me.

I'll post up his again - fixed with some ammendments like city list and UB - but it is still using japanese components.

Give me a month or two, because I have other 'projects', but I'll come back with something a bit more rounded and complete.

Et voila.

Drop the compressed folder 'Scotland' into your MODS folder through

Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Mods

I gave it a high version number to prevent it offering an update to the borked code in this thread.

Any problems give me a shout.

Oh - Traits are Drill II for all melee, base increase of 15% science is what I think I left it at. UU in this mod is a Longswordsman wrapped with a Civ IV skin. UB is a Scottish Castle, with 3 happyness and and 10+ defence. :D

All quite extreme I know and will probably be too high, and I can happilly change that if people want to inject some ideas. I'm just personally fed up of crap starts repeatedly and trying to compete with King level+ AI bonuses. So it's some free science and happyness please. If you can drag something good up to Chivalry, getting the Scottish Castles in can be very beneficial indeed.

Bring back 'Regenerate Map' you ******s!

Attachments

• Scotland.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 227
new art

Attachments

• scots_art.rar
    563.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DOM_Scotland.jpg
    DOM_Scotland.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 160
  • LeaderScots256.jpg
    LeaderScots256.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Scot256.jpg
    Scot256.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 118
I haven't touched Civ V in years, I might pick up the expansion packs and have another bash at this, better traits and balance, a real city list and polishing off a few things I couldn't quite figure out how to do.

I'm with Jaboo I have Scottish Blood in my family (7 generations ago) and I did a report on William Walace which makes me an expert :sarcasm: and I'd prefer Robert de Bruce.

Top Bottom