JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

As Viregel says, I still have my Maori mod to consider, but I still might use the Maori Battalion if I come up with nothing else. Though I am partial to naval civs. But as for Te Papa... have you been there? Lol. It would be better off boring other civilizations to death! But that might just be me.

I do like the UA very much, though. But modding with Tourism is so awkward, I don't know how possible it'd be.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, TPangolin.

@Homusubi - I still prefer "Aotearoa" as the UA name, mainly because it shortens it. The name is also on the Polynesian city list for some reason.

@TPangolin - It was just the name overlap I was concerned about. There wouldn't happen to be some other name for them?

Anyway, I still think that New Zealand is in dire need of some naval focus. I don't know why, but I think it should.

You could apply a Tourism bonus to Mountains if that is slightly easier.

I have a ton of other ideas for New Zealand too written down here. However, whatever you do, no matter how tempting it may be - please don't give a Happiness bonus to sheep. Actually, scratch that - as an Australian that would be hilarious.

UA: Choice bro - -1 :c5production: Production, +3 Happiness from Sheep tiles. Upon entering a new era 2 Citizens from all cities leave New Zealand and are added to the population total of the Sydney and Melbourne City-States.

UU: Flight of Conchords - Great Musician replacement. +10 :c5happy: Happiness boost in all other civilizations. New Zealand stays the same because they don't understand what's so funny about a bunch of New Zealanders acting normal.

UB: Helms Deep - +25 :tourism: Tourism. It's not actually real. America denounces you because they were tricked into believing it was.

In all seriousness though - if you want more ideas for Buildings, UAs and UUs, let me know.

It's not so much that it's difficult as I think it would be outright impossible. You can't add Tourism as a terrain yield, for starters, and there's no Lua code that would let you dynamically change Tourism output. It's such a shame, too, because I'm partial to keeping the Cinema as the UB, and this would have synergised really well (thematically, too, if you think about LotR and all it's Mountain scenes).

Like Viregel, I, too, would prefer a naval flavour, and I'd like that most with a naval unit. NZ really keeps to itself, so a defensive ship would be preferable. Any ideas for a naval unit that has some special connection to NZ?

It's not so much that it's difficult as I think it would be outright impossible. You can't add Tourism as a terrain yield, for starters, and there's no Lua code that would let you dynamically change Tourism output. It's such a shame, too, because I'm partial to keeping the Cinema as the UB, and this would have synergised really well (thematically, too, if you think about LotR and all it's Mountain scenes).

Like Viregel, I, too, would prefer a naval flavour, and I'd like that most with a naval unit. NZ really keeps to itself, so a defensive ship would be preferable. Any ideas for a naval unit that has some special connection to NZ?

I cannot mod, but would it be possible to do it in the same way as the Hotel, i.e. work out the yield and apply an equal amount of tourism in the city?

As for the naval focus, all I found was the ANZAC Frigate, which is probably useless. I'll check for more; perhaps some ship used by colonialists? Alternatively, just stick on a Māori name and hope for the best. :p

I've just checked and - not unsurprisingly - the effects of the Hotel are hardcoded. As in the amount of Culture converted to Tourism is adjustable, but you can't limit it to just Mountains and/or Natural Wonders.

I could just have NZ earn more Tourism from Natural Wonder AND Landmarks (which I think is the only other thing that counts). I'll have to ponder it some more. Hopefully in that time I can find a ship to use, too. Failing that, I may just use the Ramming Frigate that Pouakai thought up.

Could be interesting. I'll certainly keep it in mind. I'm not very good with plot coding, but it's an opportunity to learn, and I do like the idea of a latish-game scouting naval unit. Thanks.

I'll give a +1 to the Maori battalion. They served under NZ, were a WW2 unit (so well after the Maori themselves) and as TPangolin said were highly decorated, not to mention just plain awesome. Freaked out the Germans in North Africa with Hakas, threw rocks when they ran out of grenades, very Number 8 wire mindset

I'll give a +1 to the Maori battalion. They served under NZ, were a WW2 unit (so well after the Maori themselves) and as TPangolin said were highly decorated, not to mention just plain awesome. Freaked out the Germans in North Africa with Hakas, threw rocks when they ran out of grenades, very Number 8 wire mindset

They're possibly more awesome than this guy and the 101st Airborne, and even maybe that one guy in D-Day that charged in with a sword and somehow survived. I can't find another name for them though, but I'm sure that Māori Battalion would do.

You're up early!

At the very least, I will have the Maori battalion or the Research Vessel as an alternative, much as I have done with Norway or the Pope. I do like both ideas, but I don't feel two UUs are favourable for NZ.

You're up early!

At the very least, I will have the Maori battalion or the Research Vessel as an alternative, much as I have done with Norway or the Pope. I do like both ideas, but I don't feel two UUs are favourable for NZ.

I'm starting to feel the effects of just three hours sleep, it's going to be a long day

I think that having two UU could work, if one was something like the Research Vessel in that it's not a primarily militaristic UU

The original idea I had for New Zealand wasn't naval as such, but rather tried to replicate their relative late settling to the rest of the world. It still retained elements of being a maritime, coastal nation.

It's also a country that has every single type of climate in the world, which is not only great for tourism, but as can bee seen from the LotR and Hobbit trilogies - extremely advantageous for tourism and subsequently revenue.

The Maori Battalion is also a great way to representing the blending of cultures.

When thinking of civ ideas I like to encompass everything about a civilization as opposed to just an idea. So here is a couple of ways you can try and replicate isolationism, tourism, film, culture, policies and immigration.

UA: Land of the Long White Cloud - First 3 cities founded receive additional :tourism: Tourism if adjacent to rivers, lakes or mountains*. Gain a :c5gold: Gold boost* whenever a Great Artist is expended within your borders.

UU: Maori Battalion - Gains a 25% Foreign lands combat bonus and earns promotions 50% Faster unlike the Infantry which it replaces.

UB: New Zealand Company - Replaces the East India Company, comes at Industrialization instead of Guilds. In addition to Happiness and Gold Benefits, City owner receives +2 :c5food: Food from Trade Routes and +2 :c5gold: Gold from Pastures.

*+2 for each. Also restriction to prevent abuse of city spam and to replicate that NZ isn't all too big. Represents places like Milford Sound, Remarkables, Taupo etc.
**Can be exchanged for Culture/Tourism or city state influence

Research Vessel sounds interesting. Perhaps something that could be expended to create a UI that produces Science?

When thinking of civ ideas I like to encompass everything about a civilization as opposed to just an idea. So here is a couple of ways you can try and replicate isolationism, tourism, film, culture, policies and immigration.

Hm, I tend to do the opposite. I feel it's more conducive to how the Firaxis constructs their civs.

Research Vessel sounds interesting. Perhaps something that could be expended to create a UI that produces Science

I wonder if it's even possible to create Improvements on the water?

EDIT: Derp. What are fishing boats then?

I've had a go at the map - you can use it if you like it.

Attachments

• newzealand.jpg
    newzealand.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 214
Top Bottom