COTM 2 quick game - spoiler thread

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
This is the spoiler thread for the COTM 2 quick game. To qualify for this spoiler you must have played and submitted your game.

Feedback is welcome, especially about the scoring system.

What financial "reforms" did you make? Was there any aggressions? What trading did you do?

My first quick game. I try compile score

start 1000
turn (197-160)*10 -370
tech (40-31)*15 +135
luxury 5*10 +50
adam smith's +20
furious with you - no -0
sum 835

Is it good or no......

I didn't try to compile my own score, and I probably didn't do all that well, relatively speaking.

On my first turn I accidently hit a button that ended that turn before I could set everything up the way I wanted. So basically, my game started on turn 2.

I sold everything that wasn't trade related except universities, libraries, and aqueducts. I garrisoned 1 swiss mercenary in every city, and I kept the mines until I built a marketplace, aqueduct, courthouse (only in corrupt cities), harbor, and bank in every city. I rushed a lot of these, which was probably a bad idea. After a city had these, I switched to wealth and irrigated all non-BG grasslands in it's radius. I probably should have irrigated the BG's as well, but I only had so many workers.

I switched from Metallurgy (3 turns till) to Banking (5 turns till?) at the very beginning and timed the research of Economics, which I researched next, to match the capitol when it had 1 turn left on Sun Tzu's. I switched to Smiths and built it instead the next turn.

My biggest mistake was switching to democracy. I ended up rushing everything in far away cities anyhow. The minor help in corruption democracy gives over republic didn't really come into play. That's a waste of 7 turns.

I built Shakespeare's Theatre in Amsterdam because it would allow me to go above 12 pop. At the end of the game Amsterdam was at pop 14, and raking in some good coin. But it took 15 turns to build. I might have been better off in wealth.

England attacked me at one point, failing to take my city but sending me into a golden age. So that was fortunate. I quickly allied every other civ with me and then stayed at home.

I traded for all my luxuries. Most of the time I had 5 which helped me keep every city in WLTKD. On the last turn before I made 10k I managed to get a sixth.

No civs were destroyed, but England was left on a 1 tile island. Thank god for that city, or they would have been toast.

Every civ was polite or gracious for the whole game, excepting England, of course, though they were polite with me after I signed a peace treaty and gave them a free world map the next turn.

I reached 10k in wealth in the year 1160 AD. I had all MA techs but hadn't gotten a single IA (I was researching steam to put railroads down and increase my gpt) when I reached the goal. I wanted to keep slightly ahead of the other civs so I could trade tech for luxuries rather than giving them gold. That worked fine until the last time, with about 4 turns till I won. I suppose I wouldn't have had a problem with those final 4 turns, but I spent about 1k in gold on the luxuries anyhow, extended my game by 2 turns. That was probably a mistake.

My mistakes cost me 9 turns at least, 7 because I was in anarchy (though I was making 87 gpt in anarchy, so it wasn't that all that bad), and 2 due to overspending, possibly more.

It was fun though, and it took only a couple of hours. I think I'll probably play more of these quick games.

~Ghostwind

I just submitted thanks to the prolonged deadline and got to "10k" in 810 AD.
I only sold the colosseum and the barracks and never built a single unit all the game through. I even disbanded the galleys to speed up an aqua.
Research was Metallurgy in 2 turns, then Banking, Economics, Navigation, Demo, Free Artistry. I was beaten to Demo and Navi, so I did lose some coins there.
I started Smith´s after a bank in the capital, but never finished it, so that´s another downside. Should´ve built wealth there instead. With some more calculation, I could have switched a lot more cities to wealth much earlier.
Every one was polite or gracious and no wars took place. At least none that I was aware of, as I never established embassies.
EDIT: Nice surprise that some workers were automated :p

EDIT: Nice surprise that some workers were automated

I had originally intended to make the government Feudalism but I figured that it would be just painful and aggravating to revolt. The workers were just an added "bonus."

Twonky said:
EDIT: Nice surprise that some workers were automated :p

And every city was managed by a "governor" :eek:
I don't know if there is a possibilty to turn off the governor for all cities at once, I was going through every city and turned it off.
While I was doing that I changed the build to marketplaces or aquaeducts. The only building I sold was the colloseum in Amsterdam.
Traded for all available luxuries.
These damned Egyptians and Maya never built a single harbor, I couldn't trade luxuries with them. So navigation was almost a waste to research, just some map trading.

My research was metalurgy (since it was almost finished), navigation (hoping for more trades but they never happened :mad: ), banking (for banks to generate more income) and I could trade for music theory. At the last turn I could have traded for MT but forgot to do it (there goes 15 points down the drain).

The workers did some minor improvement the first 15 turns or so. This was complete waste, I should have let them join cities rght away. This would have saved about two more turns. (another 20 points)

I never bothered to build Smiths or even to research economics. Instead I built copernicus in Amsterdam (3 turns). I don't know whether this was good or not, maybe it would have been better to waste most of the shields and build a marketplace right away?

I tought more about the game afterwards than actually when I played it (as mentioned I made some really poor decisions), but nevertheless I had quite some fun to finish this quick game. Looking forward for some more to come.

Ronald

I just played the game, and submitted it with only a small amount of time to spare. I'm glad I did, as it proved to be quite enjoyable.

Taking a page out of EsatP's book, I have attempted to score myself:

-290 (29 turns)
------
+75 (5 techs--Banking, Economics, Music Theory, Chivalry, and Navigation)
+60 (6 luxuries)
+20 (Smith's Trading Company)
------
865 (Total)

Ronald said:
And every city was managed by a "governor" :eek:
I don't know if there is a possibilty to turn off the governor for all cities at once, I was going through every city and turned it off.

When you're on the governor options for a city, you select in the boxes on the right whether it applies for this city, all cities on the continent, or all cities. That will change all current cities at once. There's also a check box at the bottom to set the default for new cities. With those two things, the governor is fully under your control.

Top Bottom