Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Can someone briefly explain how the peaceweight works? Specifically, does it have any effect on the attitude of the AI towards the human player depending on which leader the human uses?

Can someone briefly explain how the peaceweight works? Specifically, does it have any effect on the attitude of the AI towards the human player depending on which leader the human uses?
Peaceweight (and warmonger respect) has no effect on AI-human relations.

what is the difference of showing the clock and not showing it?
aesthetics :)

what are the difference of the game speeds?
You have 1.5 times more turns in Epic than in Normal, 3 times more in Marathon, and half in Quick. Most of the important stuff (production, tech cost...) are scaled with the game speed (with the exception of marathon, where units cost is 2 times more).

One of the most important differences is that the units movements stay the same, so basically, units move 3 times faster at marathon than they do at normal, mostly making war easier.

Second question... How does experince play into how the game picks units to fight?? I've been micro-managing this a bit lately... Lets say you havve 4 riflemen attacking two axemen. They have experience of 16/17, 15/17, 9/10 and 5/10. Should I play the 16/17 & 9/10 so they get a promotion??
I've been slowly working on my warmongering skills. I use the feature of hovering over the defender to get the attack odds; if my highly-promoted units don't have good enough odds, I sacrifice a lowly recently-built unit to do a little damage to raise my odds. Especially in the early stages, when you're trying to get enough experience on one unit to qualify for building the Heroic Epic, protecting the really good unit(s) can be important for a little while. Similarly when you're trying to qualify for West Point.

Thanks for the answeres to my earlier question.

I've got a couple more thoughts this week....

I've been getting bored lately - especially in the mid-to-late part of the game. I'm thinking that maybe this is a sign I should move up a difficulty level. I used to play vanilla @ noble and usually win. Then I moved to BtS and got killed, so cut back to Warlord. Now, I win easily at Warlord - usually playing the americans or english. Thoughts??

Try moving up to Noble and giving yourself an advantage (like your favourite leader/civ with the map they are best suited for) or give the AI a handicap (turn off tech brokering). It's a way to ease yourself into a new level.

Second question... How does experince play into how the game picks units to fight?? I've been micro-managing this a bit lately... Lets say you havve 4 riflemen attacking two axemen. They have experience of 16/17, 15/17, 9/10 and 5/10. Should I play the 16/17 & 9/10 so they get a promotion??

If my units are likely going to win anyway (like the Rifleman vs Axe situation you described), I try attack in such a way as to get promotions for the free healing. So I'd attack with the 9 and 16 xp units, UNLESS it's likely that they will win without taking damage. Then I might just attack with the other 2 just to get them closer to the next level (and so they can later attack, promote and get the free healing).

If they aren't as likely to win (under 85% or so), I'll try to attack with the weakest units first, hoping for easier wins for my better-promoted units. Or I'll bring more siege.

As for how the game does it... no idea.

Permanent Allies: Can you get more than one? Is it possible to form a solid block of close allies to unite against the other civs?
There is one game where I've united HC and Gilgamesh under one religion, and just got HC as a P. A. Now, is it possible to get Gil in as well?

I don't think so. It is possible to start the game with more than two people on a team but once the game starts, the new max is 2. You would be able to get a DP though with as many people as you want.

Permanent Allies: Can you get more than one? Is it possible to form a solid block of close allies to unite against the other civs?
There is one game where I've united HC and Gilgamesh under one religion, and just got HC as a P. A. Now, is it possible to get Gil in as well?
No, not unless you start the game with preset teams.

No, not unless you start the game with preset teams.

Followup: When on a set team, Does a wonder affect all civs on that team, or just the civ who built it? (IE: If Isabella builds the SoL and I'm on her team, do I reap the benefits as well?)

Followup: When on a set team, Does a wonder affect all civs on that team, or just the civ who built it? (IE: If Isabella builds the SoL and I'm on her team, do I reap the benefits as well?)
Yes, all wonders affect all team members as far as their regular effects go. (For instance, in the above case, you'd get the SOL bonus, but ONLY for your cities on the same continent as Isabella.)

The only exception to this rule is the Taj Mahal - the golden age is only for the civ that builds it.

So the team that builds the oracle gets a free tech each? That doesn't sound correct.
Okay, that's another exception - thanks for reminding me. The Oracle also isn't shared (although the one free tech is shared).

I have played CivIV vanilla on easier settings on and off, never really delving too deep but trying to improve my play. Do the expansions improve on basic gameplay or otherwise have advantages that make the civ experience better for a casual, on again off again player, or will it noticeably change the game overall? IE, considering each expansion is short money, are they worth picking up, or would I be better off concentrating on vanilla play and get the expansions if/when I feel a certain mastery of the original? TIA

Warlords isn't very different from plain vanilla. I would highly recommend you pick up BTS instead though. It adds a far better espionage system to the game plus corporations and is overall more balanced. Even though it has a lot more stuff, it's still civ 4 and once you learn the new stuff, which probably won't take long, it's basically the same game as vanilla. Plus, you'll be able to follow the games on this forum :D There's no need to master the original before getting the expansion pack.

The only addition is that if you do decide to buy an expansion pack, you should go with BTS because not only does it add more, it includes everything warlords has minus the (not stupendous) scenarios.

BTS includes all of the warlords contents, except senarios.

Still I disagree with CCRunner7 on one point: Warlords brings news civs, leaders, traits, some stuffs (techs, units...), but most importantly unique buildings. That's not to say that you should buy warlords and not BTS, on the contrary, but just that Warlords did indeed bring new stuffs :)

BTS includes the WL civs and leaders? :eek:
Yep, plus Great Generals, Trebuchets, and all of the other nice additions to the gameplay. ;)

EDIT: Beaten to it...

aesthetics :)

You have 1.5 times more turns in Epic than in Normal, 3 times more in Marathon, and half in Quick. Most of the important stuff (production, tech cost...) are scaled with the game speed (with the exception of marathon, where units cost is 2 times more).

One of the most important differences is that the units movements stay the same, so basically, units move 3 times faster at marathon than they do at normal, mostly making war easier.

many thanks...i get it now..:goodjob:

Top Bottom