Quick Game 6 - spoiler thread

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
This is the spoiler thread for Quick Game 6. To view this thread you must have submitted the game.

So which of the two culture victory types did you go for? Was enslavement and sacrifice any good? Did any of the neighboors or the barbarians give you any trouble?

I actually played two games with similar results.

The contest entry was a classic 20K in my second city (near the two cows). I got lucky here, drawing a SGL, which build me a free wonder (Zeus, which probably was a really bad choice).

When I had about 15 Bowman ready, I attacked in turn all my neighbours to secure a steady supply of slaves. I think I sacrificed about 15-20. I also made sure to buy every single one available.

After I saw, that sacrificing slaves at the cap is so much more effective, I played a second game going for 2K at my Cap.
I didn't really build wonders (only 1 or 2 in the end I think), but rather massproduced bowman.
Unfortunately in the end, there are only so many enemy units to be attacked near your borders, and sooner or later walking back the slaves became too slow, especially since moving the bowman out in the first place is no speedy business either. Maybe I should send out a stack of workers with the attackers, to speed things up here,

In the end I managed 1 turn slower, but without the advantage of a SGL. I also forgot to build a cheap temple early, which might have cost me another turn or so.

So I am very interested in seeing, what the champs manage to get out of it, and I will probably try at least one more game.

So I am very interested in seeing, what the champs manage to get out of it

Me too.

I underestimated the power of sacrifice and the frequency of enslavement achievable. Each new capture cut off six turns from my projected end date making it difficult to know how long the slaves should road for later slaves before they trotted off to be beheaded in the capital. Lost a few turns there. More could perhaps be won by selecting another strategy.

My strategy was to build Sacrifical Altar (3750 BC) and Temple (3300 BC) as fast as possible, a Pottery, a Settler Factory, an Inner Ring of cities, a Library (1450 BC), then Bowmen. As I appeared to have Bowmen enough, I also built The Statue of Zeus, but it produced less culture than a single sacrifice and only one Ancient Cavalry.

Other cities built Warrior, Worker, Barracks, Bowmen; later ones no Worker or Barracks.

Research went Pottery, then Alphabet, Writing, Philosophy with Literature as Bonus and Library in Babylon on the same turn over The Big Picture.

As soon as I had a sizeable army I attacked the weak western tribes: Russia, Mongolia, Spain. In hindsight I moved too late. Had a few turns left on the Golden Age as it all ended, so the warring part wasn't fully exploited.

590 BC, 2000 in capital. More than half came from buildings, the rest from sacrificed Slaves.

Ok I submitted, 1150 BC. I actually should have finished in 1200 BC but 2 slaves on Go To orders overshot the capital :eek:. I really did not have much of a plan but figured slave sacrifice would be best. I built a second city to pump out workers but then found that I could not sacrifice them, so it began building Bowmen. Also I researched quite far, maybe only research to philo-lit was needed. The AI did a lot of research quickly

IIRC, I built a sacrificial alter, temple, granary, settler and then rax-bowmen. I did not settle the second city by the river so it would give a good killing field on grass. As soon as I had 2 bowmen I declared on everyone, and after a victory I could produce 1 turn bowmen. Germany sold me 2 slaves before I delcared on them. A really fun game to collect all those slaves.

Playing as OCC, maybe you can whip the temple and build sacrificial alter later when it is needed. I have begun to try the map again but it seems the AI isnt sending as many units :confused:. Very nice map Rik.

I figured that the best way was the sacrifice and I went nuts building workers... then realized I couldn't get get culture for that :(

I ended up restarting, so I wont submit - got a single city 2K win at 800 BC, I think. I think I built too many extra cities and not enough bowmen...

This was a fun game. I played three times. The first one I submitted with an 110AD 2K victory. I chopped an early temple(3700BC), got out one settler, then Colossus(1750BC), Pyramids(950BC), the SoZ(650BC), Library(590BC), TGL(170BC), Sacificial Altar(150BC), Colosseum(50BC), then started war and sacrificed 5 slaves. I missed the slingshot by one turn when Spain beat me to it. Clearly, not the way to win, but my civ was doing well and with the slingshot it would have been earlier.

My second try I built bowmen after the SoZ. I had chopped an early temple and sacrificial altar and built the Colossus. I went straight for philosopy and took Lit as my free tech and built a library. I didn't capture too many workers vs England, but bought two from other civs and got peace for four slaves sacked on one turn for a 430BC game.

The last game I chopped temple and sacrificial altar, two warriors, a settler and barracks. I bought alphabet off of spain for gpt and researched at max to writing then philosophy and declared war on spain to end the payment. They sent a steady stream of warriors to my waiting bowmen and I built a third city by the silks and some workers with my second city, then barracks and bowmen from them as well. I didn't build any more culture buildings only bowmen and declared war on every civ that sent units by sending slaves back to the capital. I captured one english town. This game ended just after my GA in 1000BC, sacrificing 7 slaves on one turn. If I had built roads with the slaves sent back I would have won sooner, since a larger group had a six-turn trek to the capital and would have travelled faster on roads. The palace, temple and sac. altar made 630 culture by the end.

Top Bottom