RR11 - Takeshi's castle

My first inclination was no, but if he's only WE of Genghis it might indeed work out in our favour. Your call!

Do it...and direct his research on the fluff

I agree with lymond here. Mali is usually a good trading partner, especially if we direct research. And as rolo says, if Khaaaaan, Khaaaaan, Khaaaan! goes after him it opens up possibilities.

Ok.. I'm deeply sorry guys but once again something to discuss.. But this time I'll come up with at least a report for the turns I played so far. In case somebody wants to take the set feel free to do! Otherwise I'll continue tomorrow after we decided what to do next!
But first things first- the report:

IT:
Started with the "beloved" Micro! Meanwhile I set up production to military and started with the whips.

1610:
We got the circum and for economic reasons I started on the courts on our "home" island.

1615:
Time for trading some resources around:
Spoiler :

1620:
As I kept on resurching chem this deal became accessible:
Spoiler :

Afterwards I went on with RP.

1625:
This turn we met Mali:
Spoiler :

And to get some nice bonus (and because this way we'll gest some useful stuff out of it) I decided to take this deal:
Spoiler :

1630:
The turn Mali came to become our vassal!
Furthermore it was time to push way further on Asoka and once again we hit him hard:
Spoiler :

After we're way gased out (only 3 cats left at the front) I finally took the cease fire:
Spoiler :

Before anybody starts to blame me: As I said before the beginning of my set Asoka was willing to vassal to someone.. And after taking two more of his cities and leaving him with nearly nothing more than thin air he'd be willing even more. And he's friendly with most of the europeans. And as we don't want to loose our GP in france (he's still waiting for the caravell taking him to London) I stoped fighting him.

1635:
I'm not sure whether the cease fire is the reason, but Luis got another vassal! :eek:

And that's exactly the reason why I stoped! I'm not sure whom to gor for next. Do we want to continue on India or shall we go for someone else? Mongolia? Arabia?
I'm sorry but I won't leave an army somewhere in the middle of nowhere for the next player in case Mongolia will be next.

And finally another "problem" I encountered during my set:
Spoiler :

The LB is 50 :hammers: so I thought it would only need 2 pop to whip him. Just in case it's of any importance: The city would starve the next turn. So is there anybody who can enlighten me?

Attachments

• RR11 - Takeshi's Castle AD-1635.CivBeyondSwordSave
    504.6 KB · Views: 53
Ok, I've seen the save at quick glance...

I think that we need some regrouping and some more siege before another war, no matter what war we are thinking. GK is a option, but, given our current troop placement, I would say to prepare to erase both India and China out of the map. Yes, it is war with the more advanced civ around, but he is far away and we have more hammer power ( and better guns :D ) ... and besides that Louis only has Steel and Mil Trad on us in terms of actual mil techs. No rifles :p

BtW IMHO we could start shopping around. We could had bought RR from Louis some turns before from what I am seeing, but it would be impossible to make Louis to hold the techs for himself ... I see a lot of civs able to tech democracy, so we should keep a eye on that. Louis now wants Lib +10g for RR ... should we take it ? Constitution is far more pricey ... people want lib + astro for it + 40g ... Oh ,and ,in case we are interested , Peter wants our world map + Banking for his map+ 60 g :p

We are directing mansa to Constituion btw. Good call IMHO

In resume, let's wait a little and mass siege. Then war with France and the leftovers ... that unless GK makes something stupid.

P.S Thy, I assume you are forgetting that rushed items have a penalty in the rush cost if you never had dropped a hammer in that item ;)

I played a few more turns. Our troops are in position to start fighting once again. I started with taking the deals rolo pointed out: RP for Lib and 10 gold as well as Peter's map and 60 gold for our map and banking. Directly afterwards I sold the map to nearly everbody else..
Not much else to tell but these two things:
Spoiler :

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I sent some troops to start an attack on china(even though I'm not sure whether the stack is sufficiant) but I'm hesitating to throw our forces against them!
On the other side our Indian stack is ready to attack and the GM should be save as well (he's on the caravel on the english border).
In case we want to go for both china as well as india we could do it right now! The troops still have some movement left. So next player should decide on that as well as on this:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• RR11 - Takeshi's Castle AD-1660.CivBeyondSwordSave
    527.8 KB · Views: 60
Well, I guess that sometimes the AI does something smart just by acident... we don't want to war Saladin now, so , this buys some time to QSH :p

Not sure on the constitution deal. Just is christian and a part of the European lovefest, so in the moment we sell RR, everyone will have it :( Anyway I reserve a better judgement for after seeing the save ( I made xtra hours today and I'm extremely tired :/ )

Ok had a look.

I wonder, why don't we want war with Arabia yet, rolo? Waiting for rifles? If not Arabia, is it worth it to have a fake skirmish with France to get rid of India?

If no wars, I'll get a nice peaceful builders set. I assume we want to pump rifles and siege.

We have a GM on a boat near London, who will do a trade mission. The GE we have is saved for something specific?

We can get another great person from our former cap in 4 turns. I'm very much inclined to launch a golden age with him. I think bureau isn't doing us much good other than high civic cost, I'd go nationhood. We can also take merc or FM and a nice religious civic as for example theo. While we're at it, we could get constitution immediately from our vassal for lib+chem. He'll throw theo in as well (which we don't need with the Shwedagon). Anyway, representation may be nice, especially in combination with merc. We might even make a run for demo (while in GA and at 100% science courtesy the trade mission) to get SoL to leverage rep even more. With our ever increaing city count can't be bad.

On a side note: how the hell did Madrid end up in Scotland? :crazyeye: Was the scenario maker drunk, or what? :lol:

We don't war with arabia just now because the front line would be the recently conquered Indian cities ... I would prefer to atleast get enough time to get the still to be conquered Indian cities out of revolt and with some garrisons in them. Saladin is not Asoka and it still has a big empire ( in spite of having a lot of crappy land ) so we should not treat it as lighly as we did with Asoka :p And OFC QSH might flip flop again in between :D

I can agree with a GA and getting out of bureau ... ( in spite of both being better than the current setup ;) ). Rep ... well , Rep + Merc + SoL is highly tempting ;) I like it :p Theo is Ok too, but not as needed as that.

Lib + chem with Mansa is OK .

I don't think this will be a pure builder set. I think we have enough of army to take down India for good and that should be done ASAP. But besides that, yup, rifles and siege :devil:

Techwise ... Democracy is Ok and after that ... well, this is a BIG map. We need rails so , Ithink that we should do Steel->RR after Democracy. Democracy at the current tech output needs 14 turns. Bah ,so long ...

On the side note... if you had noticed Seville in Iceland you would had probably got it :D . Spain in this scenario has no city in t0 called Madrid , so the first city they settle is called Madrid. This map has a vacant spot in Scotland and Izzy decided to settle it ... and they chose the first avaliable name of the city list ... that is Madrid ;) The iceland city was called Seville because the #2 of the city list, Barcelona, was already taken ;)

P.S GK and Peter have OB with France ... that probably means Franch in our northern borders in 30-40 turns

Okay, so then we have a plan!

Kill Asoka, sign peace with France before they arrive. Or just kill their units. Will first safely land the GM in London though.

Squeeze out great person from former cap, do trade with Mansa, take rep+nat+(slav)+merc+theo.

Finish rifles, go demo. With GA, 100% science and rep/merc I expect it a lot faster than those 14 turns. Do we save the GE to part-rush SoL? Seems like a reasonable way to use the fellow.

I noticed we can build HE still. Suggestions for where?

Yes I noticed Seville in Iceland, but that not being the usual city nr 1 that sounded as logical as Nottingham in Morocco... So the map maker was actually a catalan, putting in Barcelona and forgetting about Madrid! Or a gallego if he made Santiago the capital. :)

Yup, GE for SoL is a good idea.

On HE ... Well, I suggested Hanoi 2 times already. I think it will be a monster city as soon as it is fully improved and with enough pop to work all the tiles.

BtW as we're talking of Nat wonders , we should start thinking on where do we want the GT for drafting of those marvelous japanese rifles :D I suggest either Lin'An or Kamakura, that have both high food output at 6 pop, especially the first. Lin'An is on the mainland as well, so I would prefer it.

On the spanish map quirks ... well, the reasoning is diferent. The map maker wanted to give a smell of Reconquista to the map and because of that it had to put something Muslim to the south. So it dropped Cordoba there in Sal hands ( Spain normally get it in t0 ... It is extremely hard to hold it even as a human and it requires a heavy dose of luck ). That leaves very little space in penisula for more cities, so the map maker dropped 2 spanish cities in the oposite corners of Cordoba to avoid extreme overlap and make it locally superior to Sal. So we have Santiago and Barcelona ... and for what is worth Santiago at that point of history looks far more suited for a spanish ( = castilian for what is worth in here :D ) capital than Barcelona :p ( not mentioning the mess that a palace in Barcelona would make culturally wise in the western Med and southern France :D )

Make the trade with Mansa, Lib+Chem for Constitution+Theo+map+change. Prepare former cap to pop great person in 4 turns.

Cash in the GM.

Move units in place for assault on India. Declare on India, declare on the Wig.

Ups, the Wig has bribed some people.

Good thing we're kind of safely tucked away behind Arabia, the Himalayas and Mongolia. Though with our power we need not worry much anyway.

Get rifling and great person at the same time, launch GA and switch civics. Our bpt increases by over 100 and our gpt deficit decreases by a bit as well.

Bombay was captured already but the heroic images have been lost. Capture last Indian city and Asoka is no more.

Mansa asks for Astro and GK wants us to cancel deals with the Byzantines. We deny them both.

We get democracy in 5 turns. Decide for SoL in Angkor as it has the highest hammer output. Use GE, start to workshop a dye for some extra hammers. SoL still takes 10 turns (or more as we're still in GA). Quite a lot of other AIs have democracy by now as well so it's not entirely sure we get it, but I guess we have a fair chance.

We meet the birdman.

Louis puts up his best french face and sees the futility of war.

Hand it off here after 9 turns.

Qin is smoking and is making an offer we cannot really refuse, imo. I'd take it.

We're still at war with some people but haven't seen a single unit yet.

Our explorer got bumped out of Europe into Africa and is aimlessly roaming the jungles.

Made sure to whip enough theatres on the first turns to start the Globe in Lin'An. We could whip it now, or wait for another 5-ish turns. Also built HE in Hanoi.

Drafted a bit in the first turns of nationhood, for the vague fear of masses of units appearing in northern ex-China or ex-Korea. So we got some rifles over there, but so far was totally unnecessary. Other naturally produced rifles have been sent west towards Bombay. Bombay is under cultural pressure from the Arabs, but we have a decent "garrison" there, with more 1 tile SE.

Attachments

• RR11 - Takeshi's Castle AD-1705.CivBeyondSwordSave
    579.5 KB · Views: 59
Ok I'm up, so I'll look at it tomorrow to play Tuesday (Cam's game gets precedence due to time).

Ok, nocho, you started WW I . For a suposed builder set, that was quite a feat :lol:

More seriously , everyone and their mother should have gone to mansa, that is closer to them ... except maybe peter . Anyway I'll reserve a better judgement to after seeing the save.

Good job, Nocho. By the way, can we still build Samurai? If so, we might want to get a few more out for CRII promos and then upgrade to rifles. Not sure if we have cities with settled GS. We could attach a GG to one of these units or one of the already experienced Samurais.

Sounds like we can draft up a huge army of rivals while slow-building/whipping cannons.

Do we go for Arabia or head north to Siberia?

We could also send a force over overseas to greet Monty.

Top Bottom