Quick Games - Last Call for Comments

Should the GOTM Community establish a quick games process?

• I think this is a great idea and would play monthly.

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • This is a a good idea and I would play at least once every two months.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • This could be a good idea and I would like to try it

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I do not have a strong opinion

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • This is a bad idea and I would never use it.

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
That last idea would be awesome. The QSC is a great learning tool for the beginning of the game. The last GOTM was the first and only time I've made it into the modern age. Starting from a save file further in the game would be a great way to teach the basics of the later part of the game.

Originally posted by cracker
Another game type that we can begin to encourage will be where an experienced GOTM player captures a save file from the GOTM in the previous month and then defines some sort of tactical objective that uses his/her selcetd save file as the starting point for the quick game. The opportunities here are virtually limitless and will allow us to really explore certain aspects of the game in great detail.

Now that's what I call a good idea!

As a newbie player I'm sure this type of game would be extremely helpful.

regards

Ted

How about after we submit the game, we play the same map again with the OCC set of rules.:) I'm currently replay my GOTM17 with the OCC set of rules and having a blast. Of course, a brand new map for the OCC would be quick and fun too. "Quick" is the the key word here; therefore, let's make it simple as OCC, 3CC, or 5CC.

OCC and 5CC does not necessarily equal quick, check our Charis' 5CC Deity conquest game, but I do second your idea to put a different flair on things.

Would love to compare notes along the way with some of the best GOTM players.

Hotrod

I also have the time constraint / lack of focus problem with the long GOTM games. A shorter task in the QSC style would be an interesting alternative.

It could also be more of a object lesson, too. Of course, it takes more time to create the scenario and administer it. If you are willing to host it, then players will come.

I really like the idea provided that "quick" is an integral part of it. I usually come down to the wire in finishing and submitting my GOTM, but I am sure I would enjoy playing and learning from the best in these "scenarios." One question, can we invite or request certain players to participate if they have the time???? I'd love to see, for example, how different players like say Indy and Moonsinger, go about city developement with ICS and OCP approaches with one condition in mind. I, personally, change victory conditions in my mind several times some games and would like to see how to beeline in one direction and the potential downfalls from my gameplay style.

The other day, I started a random game, that I thought could be of interest to people other than me. I was wondering if there was a place for this, and the quick games came to mind. Would these maps make good quick games?
If yes, then I would probably want someone a lot more experienced than me judge whether the map truely had value, or if I was just imagining its value due to my newness at the game.

So:
1) A player plays a map and finds it instructive in some manner.
2) A player that is not a reknowned player submits it to an expert for an evaluation. He includes the 4000 bc save, a later save, and a description on why he/she thinks it would be of interest.
3) If the expert also thinks it has value, then it is posted for any to try, along with a basic GOTM-like description of the map.
4) If there is sufficient interest, then it is handled like a regular quick game. Otherwise, it is available for anyone to try who is intrigued by the description.
---------------
One problem might be if it was a PTW map, then not everyone could try it.
Or perhaps this concept is already done elsewhere?
------------------
I don't know if this idea has any merit, but I thought I would post in case it did.

Greebley

I would play it.
Due to the very little time that I get free, any quick game would be ideal for me.

Top Bottom