Qsc18r1-Deity Redux - Player Signups

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
We do not have any rules or standards defined yet for the Civ3 - Quick Games but I wanted to begin to use some examples to test and see if we can develop procedures that will help this process work.

This Quick Game will be a Diety Level QSC game played on exactly the same setup as Gotm18-Celts. The starting save file will be released in either Civ3v1.29 and/or PTW formats depending on player requests.

This quick game is open to two groups of players and you should identify which group you will belong to when you sign up to be on the players list. Group 1 will be players who have already played and submitted Qsc18-Celts on the standard Monarch difficulty. Group 2 will be players who have not played Gotm18-Celts at all an who prefereably have no knowledge of the game map.

Player participation requirements will include critical element timelines up to turn 120 and save files at turns 30, 60, 90, and 120. Play will begin on a date defined by the players who register but sometime after April 20th, 2003.

The number of slots in the game will be technically unlimited subject to the conditions forming membership in group 1 or group 2. There is no minimum number of players required because the game setup already exists but it would be nice to at least get 6 or 8 brave souls to help us refine the process.

Objectives
1) provide a little bit of deity level diversion and excitement
2) facilitate some key event comparisons between Monarch and Deity
3) facilitate some tech rate progression comparisons between Monarch and Deity under the conditions of Gotm18.

Please post a message to this thread if you will be interested in participating in the game.

We will also need two players to volunteer to sort of facilitate the flow of the game progress and timeline reporting, so if you would be interested in volunteering please indicate so when you register.

I'll join! I'll go in the first group, as I'm still learning Deity, and I should finish my QSC fairly quickly. What is the desired QSC submission date for Group 1?

As far as placement, I'm currently in Sirp's Deity training game, and can beat Emperor soundly. If you would like me to be in the second group, I'll move, but I'd prefer to be in the first group, as the Keltoi seem to lend themselves to warmongering, which is not my strength.

As far as procedures, if we could have more time in between turn submits, or else a mandated 'you do not play your next turns for at least a day in order to discuss' after the deadline, that would help the discussions, which seemed rushed in QSC-c2e&r.

I would like to see the same set up on Deity. Played through my QSC18 tonight and would like to see if any differences come up by moving toward Deity.

I have decreased my SG load a bit to allow time for the GOTM and would like to play this as well.

I could help facilitate the flow of the game as have been able to participate in the other QSC games and have some SG experience as well.

Hotrod

I would like to join too. Now that I have played gotm18 a bit, I will hopefully play this new Quick Game better.

I'm interested but I have some questions. How quickly do I have to play to keep up. I can get about 10-15 turns of QSC period in per day. Thats three days per time block. At that rate, starting after the 20th, we won't be done with this Quick Game until after GOTM19 is out. Is that within the desired timeframe?

I would also be willing to help control the game flow and would even be willing to do this without playing (if my slow play is holding the game back)

I would have to be in Group 1 since I'm halfway through the QSC-GOTM18 now.

EDIT: @Cracker - I think it might be helpful to others that aren't familiar with the previous QSC to put a note in the "whats going on" sticky that the game threads were cut and pasted here and were actually played before. It could be confusing that there's already three games complete when you said that GOTM19 would be the start.

This is NOT a definite signup. I know I would be group 1 as I sent QSC last night including an awesome 1000BC trading turn.

======================

What is not clear in the same point ControlFreak brought up. What will be the deadlines for the turns, and when are we expected to finish? I don't want to jeopardize finishing GOTM#18, as the turns are take much longer now that mapmaking is out there.

I cannot say for sure what the time schedule and target victory condition will be, because my intent was to let you determine those features once a basic group of players had emerged.

My intent was to have the game files available to you on the 20th or 21st with the anticipation that you would agree on some sort of schedule that might follow the previous pattern of trying to play and report 30 turns in a two day period and then spend 1 day discussing issues before moving onto the next 2 day play period.

This is sort of an evolving genre and we have to begin to give those of you who are accumulating some experience a broader role in using the quick games formats to define, fun and informative games that can be played in a few turns and with a specific objective in mind.

I will add that this game is not designed to be an alternative for Gotm18 and in fact it could be seen as a fringe benefit of having already played and submitted Gotm18 and/or Qsc18.

OK I guess the signups should require more info about player bias.

1. Do you have a prefered vicotry condition everyone should shoot for (to help you learn what the best methods of achieving said victory) or would you prefer each player pursue their own choice and comparisons be made that way.

2. How quickly can you play:
A. play 30turns one day, discuss next day
B. play 30turns over 3days, discuss every third day
C. it varies but i'll post a skip me and catchup next block.
D. other

3.By what date would you like to be finished?

For me I would prefer to aim for fastest spaceship but would be happy if everyone was going for the same condition rather than own choice because comparisons are easier. I can keep up with a 30turns over three days, discussing on the third day. I would like to be done by May 3 allowing me to get going on GOTM19 fairly quickly.

I played gotm18 past the qsc date and would love to play this. I just need to format my qsc a bit and submit it.

As for victory condition I probably need help with fast tech game, so spaceship.

I would have no trouble playing 30 turns a day, but I think the discussion would be very limited. So every 3 days would be better.

I think having already played the game will have a major impact on this though. You'll know exactly where to send your warriors to get all contacts asap. This should make keeping up on techs very easy.

I just wanted to reiterate my intention to play in this Deity game but don't want my inactation over the next week to proclude me from the game.

I will be on vacation next week returning on the 19th to finish my GOTM18 submission and startup on this Redux.

Hotrod

I'm interested in joining group1. I'm well past the QSC (just haven't tidied up and posted yet).

If the play schedule isn't too heavy then I'll be glad to help with the admin.

regards

Ted

I'm somewhere inbetween groups. I played the game and didn't bother to finish it, too boring. I'd like to try it again on deity because I'm still trying to nail down how to play it right.

I would love to take part. Would be i group 1 as I have finished GOTM 18 (humiliating defeat)

Only trouble is Im not (by any stretch of the imagination) a deity player, so it would be me doing the learning and not very helpful to others. is this OK

My GOTM 18 timeline is being typed up and I will submit soon

Phaedria

Just a note: I'm still interested, but I may not be in the official QSC submissions as I've been in the hospital and may not be able to get to the computer with my save on it. If I don't, I'm still willing to mail it to the moderator as a demonstration of what experience I've had with this map. I should be fine to play in this game as long as we start tomorrow afternoon or later. :)

Remember that the deadline for the real QSC submissions is on the 20th of the month.

(Borealis, sorry you've been in the hospital and hope your are feeling back on par soon.)

The main issue on the two groups is to let players assign themselves to the "Group with knowledge of the map" as opposed to the group with players who begin with no map knowledge.

I would like to try this as well. I have finished and submitted my QSC/GOTM18 game, so I am in group 1. I am curious to both see how diety compares to monarchy, and see how others handled the higher difficulty factor in the post-move discussions.

I would vote for 2 days to play and 1 to discuss. One day to play and one day to discuss is probably doable for me, but leaves little flexiblity if something does come up.

I have no limitations on when I can start.

edit: I would prefer playing this using PTW 1.21 to match my GOTM18 game, if I am given a choice.

Brad Oliver just released a 1.29 Macintosh beta. :goodjob: I would like to try it this on deity, after I finish my "official" GOTM18.

edit: This would also add a 4th objective: test 1.29 Macintosh Beta.

I'm interested. I've yet to play Civ3 on Deity level, and to be perfectly honest I don't think I did all that well on Monarch for the QSC (I might still eventually win; it's dicey at the moment), but hey - it sounds like fun.

Oh, in case it isn't obvious from the above - I'd be in group 1; I've already completed and mailed the QSC.

Alright, you're killing me!! I definitely want to get more Deity experience, but finishing Gotm18 will be tight.

So, tentatively sign me up (I'll know more after this weekend). I'd be in group 1, and am using PTW 1.14. (I already know a thing or two I'd do differently. :) )

Top Bottom