[Pir] Looking for a piracy game.

Monado

King
Just finished the book, Under the Black Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject.

After reading it though, I'm in a big mood for some plundering. I just watched a few gameplay footage videos of Sid Meier's Pirates....way to much romance, not enough reality.

Anyone have any recommendations for other pirate games?

Well, there is Assassin's Creed IV.
Risen 2 has a distinct pirate theme, but the Risen series isn't what I would call that great. The first game has a silly combat system, an XP system that required you to play with a guide open to max XP so you wouldn't be destroyed by anything more threatening than a chicken while playing on easy, and developers who thought that a good 3rd act for an open world RPG would be to stick it inside a cramped and poorly lit dungeon consisting entirely of combat with.
Harebrained Schemes (the guys who did Shadowrun Returns) put out a tablet game, Crimson: Steam Pirates, that seems decent.

Not much else comes to mind, and a quick steam search indicates a lot of poorly received movie tie-ins and city-builders.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'll keep an eye out for an Assassin Creed IV sale, or just try to remain patient cause I know I'll be addicted to BE in a little more than a week

It's time to give the game a serious look. It's about to enter Beta phase, but they haven't increased the price yet, so the window of opportunity is open.

I see it is out (Caribbean)
Did anyone try it?
Just wonder if it is close to Pirates in any way

I bought in and was involved early on with the feedback, but I haven't played the game as it is now. The developers were pretty ambitious, but some things were disabled in favor of functionality and balance as the game developed. It began with the Mount and Blade Engine, so if you are familiar with that game, you will see similarities. It has been heavily modified, for better and/or worse.

There are no women. You are playing as a merchant, or as an "adventurer".

OK thanks.
Did you play pirates as well before?

OK thanks.
Did you play pirates as well before?

After Civ IV in all of it's expansions and mods, Sid's Pirates! is my favorite game.
Normally, I play it in the summer, although last year I continued to play until December.

At the moment I'm reading more than playing games, but when I finish this book, I'll try my hand at Caribbean again.

After Civ IV in all of it's expansions and mods, Sid's Pirates! is my favorite game.
Normally, I play it in the summer, although last year I continued to play until December.

At the moment I'm reading more than playing games, but when I finish this book, I'll try my hand at Caribbean again.

Reading is good. :)
Yeah pirates was a great game. I miss it. I saw the comments to the Caribbean and game and people were unhappy with some things. I am OK with some beginner flaws as long as the game has an aspect to it I like. So I guess I was wondering if it had any of the Pirate flavour at all. I will keep an eye on steam and see what happens with it

There's another new pirate game called Raven's Cry.

It's $54.99 or $59.99 ( deluxe digital), and gets about 3-5 out of 10 stars. Beautiful graphics, but it was released ahead of it's time, and was prone to slowing, freezing, crashing, etc. They have put out 2 patches already. It might be another one to watch. If performance improves and price goes down, it might even be a good buy one day.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281130/

Alright. Finished reading.

Got back to Caribbean. Comparisons to Sid's Pirates! -Well, rather than choosing between English, Dutch, French and Spanish, ( all in the game) the starting choices are- retired lieutenant, merchant, escaped convict, or pirate.

You get to customize your character's face with various sliders that adjust the bones and cartilage, so you can make it resemble yourself ( if you are male), plus hair style and color, complexion, and aging effects.

While the main map is similar, the graphics for the water are more realistic, and the ships are just icons, you have to mouse over to learn what they are.

The interactions between yourself and other characters is similar- it's printed dialogue with options. There are more food items and trade goods. Blood effects are optional. There is a variety of weapons, clothing, horses and armor for purchase. It varies form port to port. So do ships.

There are no women in the game yet, as far as I've seen. I'm still getting re-acquainted with it, and will post again after I've played some more.

Thanks. Appreciate it. Look forward to your next update. So no Henry Morgan or Queen Ann's Revenge? :) (Sid Meier is the best)
Do you peddle goods around to gain wealth and fame or you capture ships to become powerful?

Thanks. Appreciate it. Look forward to your next update. So no Henry Morgan or Queen Ann's Revenge? :) (Sid Meier is the best)
Do you peddle goods around to gain wealth and fame or you capture ships to become powerful?

Speaking from memory, rather than how the game is now, because I only got a couple of hours into last night's game after the updates-

Yes, Sid is the best. This is only the second game for this studio.

Anyway, not only can you peddle goods, and capture them, you can produce them. You can buy a lumber mill, and sell lumber in other ports, or, if you want to make more money, you can also build a furniture shop there( which requires lumber to produce furniture). There are a number of things like this- salt + beef produce salt beef, etc. You can sell commodities or finished products. There are lots of items to trade- fruit, beer, rum, tobacco, sugar, cotton, cloth, clothing, linen, iron, tools, fish, salt fish, gems, silver, jewelry, grain, flour, bread, etc. Lots of opportunities for vertical integration.

There is some sort of fame point system, and as a pirate you can work toward having your own port and even your own faction. To do this you have to be successful enough to recruit enough men.

I think that as a merchant entrepreneur, you are working towards election as governor.

In earlier versions, when allied with a faction, there would be quests to bring my fleet and men to join a task force at a particular time and place for a purpose, such as liberating San Juan. So Henry Morgan was more of a leader/ boss for the English than a rogue.
Generally, Caribbean is more historically accurate than Pirates! The captains and governors are real people, although sometimes anachronistic.

It used to be that I had to trade goods to support my piracy habit, to cover the costs of repairs, crew replacements and training. I think they have corrected the balance, and I didn't encounter a single glich last night.

The ships are named and can be re-named. There are various types. Not so different from Sid's Pirates!, usually 3 variants within each type. Except that there is a class of ship called corvette, frigates and Ships of the line are separate types, and the biggest ships of all are the Manilla Galleons.

The game is still a lot about single combat, whether on land or sea. You don't automatically lose a battle if you fall, but morale suffers greatly, and it gets more costly in terms of casualties.

Fencing is less complicated. On the other hand, a sword is not your only choice of weapon. You might actually kill somebody when you shoot them with a pistol. Personally, I like to climb to the crow's nest and snipe at the enemy with a musket, but reloading is slow, and somebody might shoot you or climb up the rigging and attack you with a cutlass while you're busy doing that. Then it's really handy to have a sword or pistol.

I used to enjoy lobbing grenades on the gangways in earlier versions, but it was unbalanced and they disabled them. Well, they became smoke bombs. The trick was to only kill and wound the enemy. When you hurt your own guys, it was bad for morale.
Maybe they have been re-introduced. I bought some, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

The thing is, you are limited in how many weapon slots you have. You can't be like Blackbeard and carry 8 pistols and two swords. You have 4 slots, so you could have a sword( large selection) , bullets (light, med, or heavy) , and 2 pistols. The same bullets work in both pistol and musket.

that's enough for now.

There's another new pirate game called Raven's Cry.

It's $54.99 or $59.99 ( deluxe digital), and gets about 3-5 out of 10 stars. Beautiful graphics, but it was released ahead of it's time, and was prone to slowing, freezing, crashing, etc. They have put out 2 patches already. It might be another one to watch. If performance improves and price goes down, it might even be a good buy one day.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281130/

Last I heard it was still unfit to use. Some of the early customers characterize it as a scam.

Thanks for all the updates Rusty Edge. I was looking into Raven's Cry but read the same negative reviews.

Caribbean has been released as "Blood and Gold" on STEAM. I don't know much more about it because It seems like every time I load the game Real Life intrudes.

It has female characters now, and you can play as a female, but I don't think romance is part of the game play.

About all I can say is that there's more detail to the towns, and the starting equipment, horse, and ship are better. In other words, you appear to have a competitive start now.

To contrast between Sid's Pirates! and Caribbean, you can walk or ride horseback from tavern to shipyard to fort to town center in Blood and Gold.

Top Bottom