Civ2 Patcher for 64bits OS (v 2.0 release)

MastermindX

Chieftain
Hi guys,

I released a new version of my patcher. I added some improvements, mostly for users that needed to patch the process in-memory.

-- Changes --
- Removed the "Patch Process" button
- Changed the exe file icon.
- Added a "Donate" button.

About the changes

-- Patch Process button --
Only very few users actually needed that button. The single best way to patch is to patch directly in the EXE. You do it once and it works forever after. Patching the process is something that needs to be done every time you run the game.

Also, many users were confused as to whether they need to use "Patch" or "Patch process" button, or both.

Now, for those who require this feature, you might wonder how I improved your life by removing the button... Well, you won't need to use "Patch Process" ever again! (well, not manually).

When the patch location isn't found in Civ2.exe, it usually means 1 of 2 things.
1. You have the 16 bits version. (My patcher can't help you)
2. You have a 32 bits version, but it's encrypted/compressed, which prevent my patcher to work. (Happens with some version of Civ2 purchased online).

Now, when my patcher fails to find a patching location, it will pop a window explaining those 2 possibilities. Said window will also allow you to create a link on your desktop that will allow you to launch Civ2 and automatically patch the in-memory process. (No more alt-tabbing between applications).

For those of you who would prefer to create the link manually instead of allowing my application to do it itself (god knows why), here's how you need to call my application.

"*MyPatcher*" "/Patch:*Path to Civ2.Exe*"

For example:
"C:\Civ2XP64Patcher.exe" "/Patch:C:\Civ2\Civ2.exe"

Having no versions that are actually like this, would love to hear whether it works as intended or not. I did test it with unpatched version of regular civ2 and it worked fine.

-- New Icon --
Cosmetic reason, nothing more. Also easier to spot on taskbar.

-- "Donate" button --
Nothing says "thank you" like a buck or two.

I didn't do this project for money or anything. I did it (well, some of it) for my own selfish purpose (I wanted to play Civ2). Still, I could have kept it to myself or fix only a specific version of the Exe (Like I originally did, not out of selfishness, but more because I didn't think it would be that important to some people). No, I went with a full blown patcher than can patch any and all (known 32 bits) versions of the game (and even the Map editor).

I also gave support to users who wrote emails to (at least, those who politely did so).

So, if you really enjoyed my work and have a buck to spare(I don't want anyone to ruin themselves over it), well, it's really the best way to say thank you.

-- Patcher location --
This location always have the latest "released" version of the patcher.
http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip

I also attached current release to this post (which is the latest at the moment).

Magic_gorter also proposed to host it on civfanatics.com. So it might also be added to a more "permanent" part of the site soon.

Attachments

• civ2xp64patcher.zip
    441.3 KB · Views: 14,031
Magic_gorter also proposed to host it on civfanatics.com. So it might also be added to a more "permanent" part of the site soon.
I uploaded the previous version to the CFC file database a couple of years ago when your site went offline for a period. It's been downloaded over 1000 times. Would you prefer that I pull that entry from the database or update it with the new version and link back to this thread?

You can go ahead and update the file in that entry.

Yeah, I remember when my ISP hosted websites went down. It was only a weekend, still, it created quite a bit of a panic over here! lol.

Top Bottom