Can't patch Civ II MGE

GA4L

Chieftain
Does anybody know the location that the 1.3 patch needs in order to work? I had to manually install the game with Universal Extractor because the game itself wouldn't. Everything is working but I can't get the patch to work. My game is on the C drive in a folder I made myself called Civ II MGE. Inside that folder is the data1 cab file with all the game data.

I have a topic in the tech help section but maybe this will get more views.

Thanks!

I've tried mps civ2 which is the default directory I guess and then I put it in program files too still no patch. I wonder if you manually install the game the way I did it can't be patched? Am I missing a file that an install directly from the CD would give me to enable patches to work? The game won't let me install from it directly.

Try Uninstalling MGE, then re-installing MGE to C:\Games. If that folder doesn't exist, create it.

Program Files is no good in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

Hope this helps. :)

How do I create that folder and where? I can't put : in a folder name either. I ended up setting up my old XP computer and the game runs fine on that. I would still like to have it running on the Windows 7 machine though.

I'm also a little pissed that I'll have to get the original Civ II game because the AI is over aggressive in the MGE version. I tried the downgrade fix but no music and advisers bugs me. Same goes for the no cd crack, the lack of music and advisers blows.

I read in the MGE manual, got it complete, that I can just put in my Civ II disk or either disk of the scenarios for different music. So do I need all the disks to experience everything? This MGE edition appears to only be good for multiplayer. Bah!

I did install the less aggressive civ patch but haven't tried it yet. I read on the forums it's supposed to mess up the find city feature?

So what do players of Civ II do? Do you have MGE and then just use your original Civ II disk and the two scenario disks? This was kind of a scam when it came out, they expected people to have the original three disks didn't they?

Well, to be honest, I mostly play ToT nowadays, with the ToTTP patch. And, the advisors, while a novelty at first, haven't been a real thing for me for years. I suppose that's just my preference, but you might want to consider trying it rather than just buying another vanilla Civ2.

Ok, I'll give the MGE version a try. Does anybody know where the game installs the Intel video drivers? I couldn't find them on the XP machine. Also what is the best install, the custom or the typical? I did custom and made sure everything was checked still the video and music files appear to come from the disk. Just wondering what is the best install and where to find those video drivers. I don't think the video drivers get uninstalled when you uninstall the game.

Found those two Indeo files, just did a search. Tried the game with the latest patch and messed around with the tutorial. It's actually pretty good and the first AI civ I encountered didn't go straight to war with me. I actually had to push them a little before they did and then numerous times they begged for mercy so that was good.:lol:

Top Bottom