Win7/64 - Load Map and Save/Load games not working

ctrlshiftesc

Chieftain
Hi all,

I USED to have TOT working on my Win7/64 bit machine. Earlier today in fact! However, I was having some weird bugs in the Extended Original game so I decided to reinstall.

Before re-installing I nuked my entire (installdir)\Test of Time folder.

Installation seems to go without a hitch, the game starts, and even runs the opening graphics. However, when I try to start a new game and load a custom map, the game loops between the "select game type" and "pre-made world/customize world" menus.

In other words, I select "Extended Original Game" > "Start on a Pre-made World", and it takes me back to choose "Extended Original Game", etc.

If I use a game-generated map, the game seems to start okay, but then I can't save or load games, either with shortcut keys or the graphic menus. Literally nothing happens when I try, not even an error.

I am running the game as an administrator, in Win98/ME compatibility.

After many different cycles of uninstall/reinstall, here are various things I've tried:

Vanilla (unpatched)
1.1 patch
64-bit patch
All-in-one patch (AI aggression, no-cd, no limits, etc.)
ToTPP
Installing without compatibility or admin
Reboot

This bug seems to manifest no matter what.

I am baffled how this can be happening now, when it was working not three hours ago!

Edit: Just had a thought, these actions that are failing all require the Windows file browser (to load/save game or load a custom map). So it looks like ToT is having trouble invoking the file browser for some reason.

Happy news!

At first I was just searching on the load map aspect and not finding anything. After I realized it was all related, due to the Windows file browser, I expanded my search.

I found a post here (NSFW language warning) that mentions the save dialogue has trouble on Win7 in Win98 compatibility mode. So I changed it to XP SP3 compatibility, and now it works!

So that's the secret, when running on Win7/64 bit...use XP compatibility and not Win98.

(Funnily enough, looks like the above mentioned post links back to Civilization Fanatics, so I still owe it to you guys! Thanks!)

I am running the game as an administrator, in Win98/ME compatibility.
So that's the secret, when running on Win7/64 bit...use XP compatibility and not Win98.
What happened when you ran the game without compatibility mode? I've never required compatiblity mode for ToT on any platform ranging from WinXP to Win7. Just tested the game in Win98/WinMe compatibility mode, and, like you, immediately ran into problems.

All-in-one patch (AI aggression, no-cd, no limits, etc.)
Which one is that? If it's the one I posted a few years back, then I'd recommend just using the ToTPP.

Top Bottom