Dwarves design

Yeah, we really need to get you up to speed.
How could missing art files be the issue?
I was looking for skeleton art-files and could not find the SYLVANIA directory where the xml-art entries were ointing at.
And my mod does CTD during graphics initiation.

Maybe you need to do a BTS and 3.17 patch reinstall?
Is that the unofficial Dresden/Solver or official patch?

There is code for leveling mines in the Rise of Mankind mod.
But I don't think its necessary; dwarves will tend to use the Clansmanship civic, and already get massive hammer production.

There's a mushroom event in FFH, I think we could just use that one.
That's lame, we got a working bonus mushroom resource made by ourselves.
The model and skin from P_L and myself I got the XML, nif files and buttons working ingame. (.13D+minimod)
admiddedly the old XML is open to alterations.

I was looking for skeleton art-files and could not find the SYLVANIA directory where the xml-art entries were ointing at.
And my mod does CTD during graphics initiation.

If you give me the path of the folder where you think there are files missing, I can try posting it or emailing it to you from my version.

Is that the unofficial Dresden/Solver or official patch?

Official. I have no idea if the mod is compatible with any other unofficial patches/mods, so I tend to assume its safer to stay away from them.

That's lame, we got a working bonus mushroom resource made by ourselves.

Perhaps mushrooms could be a bonus health resource. They're not spawned during map creation, but they have a small chance of being discovered each turn in the dwarven hill farm improvement?

Simple, easy to code, effective.

And you could also create an event that would create them. Much better than the FFH one, which prevents you building improvements on the mushrooms tile without removing them; as a bonus resource you can have a farm on top of them.

If there are files missing, I probably got a corrupted download, no sense in trying to replace any/all missing stuff then.
Better to re-DL it in that case.

Gobbos were supposed to be able to use the fungi too btw.

If there are files missing, I probably got a corrupted download, no sense in trying to replace any/all missing stuff then.
Better to re-DL it in that case.

True.

Gobbos were supposed to be able to use the fungi too btw.

Have them able to get the event, just not autospawning the feature from farms.

-The 'prospectors' promotion would allow for more chance of discovering resources, the AI is just as capable of building mines as a human player.

a spell for dwarven workers which can be cast on mines to sacrifice the worker at a *very* small chance of creating a random mineral there could be cool. spending resources to activly search for more burried treasure is very dwarven.

The model and skin from P_L and myself I got the XML, nif files and buttons working ingame. (.13D+minimod)
admiddedly the old XML is open to alterations.

yeh i noticed this vanished when i started modding the main mod again. i believe thats because i forgot to bring it over from my minimod. ill put that and the dwarves in patch b.

I'll look into getting that forge to work,

maybe use this as a prereq for an event that has a Runelord great person come to the city and either join the fortress and allow building of the Wonder ANVIL OF DOOM (Runeforge) which allows runes and runic/gromrill weapons OR fight with the army.
Spoiler :

Tabletop Anvil of Doom can 'cast' runes of the 4 elements.
water: a mire is created, target unit is reduced to 1 movement (or maybe -1)
fire: a fireball missile hits the target.
earth: closest enemy stack on hill/mountain is hit by rock shards
air: lightning storm attack.

There are A LOT of runes covered in the warhammer armies books a few are:
Spoiler :

canon weapon runes:
might fury cleaving grudge striking speed fire stone
master weapon runes:
snorri spangelhelm
skalf blackhammer
alaric the mad
flight
breaking

armour runes:
engineering runes:
runic talismans:

edit: just read that sl;ayers get massive strengthbonus vs tough opponents. As is I got them with a bonus vs only big monsters. Should this be reconsidered?

It would be awesome to get meteoric iron/gromril working, and to get the runefore giving rune bonuses. Its sad that the meteoric iron tech does nothing. I'd also like to see the meteorite mine give larger tile bonuses.

I'd definitely welcome more runes from canon. It would be cool if there were 8 different runes that a unit could get - helps differentiate the core units by which rune they get.
What might some of these runes do?
Maybe an engineering rune lets the combat unit build roads as a worker?

edit: just read that sl;ayers get massive strengthbonus vs tough opponents. As is I got them with a bonus vs only big monsters. Should this be reconsidered?

Nah, I'd just give them bonuses vs beasts, and then vs daemons for the daemonslayer. The only other classes don't really make sense; they're not going to be extra strong vs mounted, melee, chariot, missile, divine, adept or hero units, and they're pretty high base strength already.

maybe use this as a prereq for an event that has a Runelord great person come to the city and either join the fortress and allow building of the Wonder ANVIL OF DOOM (Runeforge) which allows runes and runic/gromrill weapons OR fight with the army.

I dislike events that give great people, they tend to be too strong, and I see no reason to create an extra great person type for just a single event.
I'd be fine with a flavor event which had a runelord arrive that could either give a hammer or milprod or beakers bonus to the runeforge, or grant a bonus rune to every unit in the city.
But gromril armor should be available without any particular event, just from the runeforge building. And that should be a building buildable in any city, not just a wonder.

I'd consider meteoric iron to be available from astronomics or some celestial observatory, not an industrial tech. I'd have to read again some background stuff to be sure.
All civs should be able to get/find meteoric iron eventwise.
However, unless a magical/artificer forge has been built in the civ, it will just be used as a resource of iron. Only dwarves create gromril armours, elves ilthmar shields, and some human factions skymetal hammers/lances.
Only the best unit of a civ gets these items (easier to code too)
Other civs may create some flavourful cursed item of incredible power from it.

There are in the fluff all kinds or rules for runes, one is the rule of three, meaning a maximum of three runes per item. Another is the rule of jealousy***, which means no two artefacts can have the same combination of runes.

this last one is hard to implement and no fun, unless as a "rune can only be in play once" rule.
the former i don't know. I'd rather have one rune per unit instead.

as with discussed in "carried items", here there are also several sets of runes that are equivalent to magical equipments:
weapon/armour/banner/talisman as well as mechanical*.
only one from each group should be allowed per unit.**

* this latter one applies to siege engines, cannon and the like.
** unless we create a set of maximum 8 runes that is a mix of these various types. I propose to create about 4 per type though.
*** A single exception is the armour rune of stone, which can be applied as many times as wanted on even a single item.

EDIT: I think I'd add Deamonslayer as a hero Lord. Most deamons are also monsters IIRC, so the lesser slayers should still get a pretty boost against them regardless.
edit2: deamons or demons have vanished from the unitInfos, drat.

Anyhow.
What exactly is not working about the Runeforge?
Or is it a request to create rune promotions/spells that require being at a city with the Forge?

(for the latter I have started a dedicated topic in the teamforums)

Or is it a request to create rune promotions/spells that require being at a city with the Forge?

Yup. Coding intensive. At the moment the runeforge does nothing.
I'd also like to see my ideas for meteoric iron/gromril/ithilmar armor implemented, this should probably be done at the same time.

I like the idea of creating two types of runes. Maybe weapon runes and armor runes.
The Runeforge gives an armor rune to any unit produced within it (at random from a list of4+ armor runes, not to visiting units). The Runepriest religious unit has a spell (like mutate or enchant weapon) that gives a free Weapon rune promotion (at random from a list of 4+ weapon runes) to all units in the stack with the dwarf promotion.

The effects of each rune should be pretty minor, but flavorful.
Possible effects include: 10% magic resistance, 25% resistance to a particular magic form, 5% bonus strength, 10% bonus attack strength, 10% bonus defense strength, 15% bonus city defense strength, 1 first strike chance, 20% faster healing, immunity to fear/psychology, ability to build keeps and roads.

You *could* use mutation code for this, and rather than mutation create a RunedWeapon and RunedArmor promotion; so you can't gain any new RunedWeapons promotions if you have the RunedWeapon promotion.

And you could have events that could give bonus runes from either list, to a highly experienced unit.

I'd consider meteoric iron to be available from astronomics or some celestial observatory, not an industrial tech. I'd have to read again some background stuff to be sure.

The design has Meteoric iron requiring Astrology and Advanced Smithing, which seems fair. It doesn't need engineering or anything.

I dislike the priest unit being able to enchant weapons on the fly.

Gromril / silverstone / Hammernought armour should only apply to Ironbreakers(royal guard) and heroes.
and should be fairly straight forward to code.

I dislike the priest unit being able to enchant weapons on the fly.

Why? If a game turn = a year....
Also, gameplay >>> all. Its much easier this way than anythnig else.

Gromril / silverstone / Hammernought armour should only apply to Ironbreakers(royal guard) and heroes.

Thats pretty boring, and would make the meteoric iron tech pretty useless, and the meteoric iron strategic resource very uninteresting.
I think its much more interesting if all melee units (or melee and mounted and heroes) can get gromrilarmor/ithilmar armor/adamantite armor/meteoric iron armor.

Dwarven gromrilarmor needs to use a very similar mechanic to those others, but be superior to them, because dwarven armor forging is a civ strength.

i was thinking more like actual attack runes, like the rune of fire.

I think dwarves need to be nearly magic-free. If they have "runes" that are just attacking damage spells like most other magics have, then they really just have fire-magic-with-another-name-on-it.
I think runes need to be permanent unit upgrades (modelled through promotions) to make them function differently from elemental, chaos or colleges magic.

There can be a sole exception with a small handful of spells castable by a Runelord (which should be the advanced Ancestor gods religious unit, with very small unit cap, available at FAnaticism), but thats it.

the anvil of doom, as has been mentioned so many times already casts 4 elemental based 'destructo-spells' so yes the dwarves DO get a form of magic but not in the sense of other civs.

As I've said many times, I'm completely fine with a Runelord that can cast a handful of regular spells. Though I'd just give these spells to the Runelord; there's no need for a separate Anvil unit or equipment.

But I think there is a lot of scope for other use of rune magic for dwarves.
I'd like to see minor Rune promotions granted to all dwarf units produced within a city with a Runeforge.
And possibly we could also let a Runepriest unit enchant units with some minor Runes.

See the Runes thread in the team forum; I suspect we may be nearing an impasse.

So; 4 siege units.
A grudgethrower, which is a slightly improved catapult UU.
A dwarf cannon, which is a slightly improved cannon UU.
An organ gun, a defensive siege weapon which cannot attack or bombard, and has a good defense value and some first strikes, and maybe bonuses vs a particular combat type (I guess it could be mounted units - both shock and missile ?), and gets defensive terrain/fortification bonuses.
A flame cannon, an offensive siege weapon with high attack, low defense, no bombard ability, good withdraw chance, inability to destroy units entirely (max 80% damage) and good collateral damage.

I've added some suggestions for these to the first post in this thread.

you forgot theses 2:
Dwarf Bolt Thrower: Cheaper than normal bolt throwers but +1 attack range (bombard range of 2 squares)
Dwarf Mortar: +1 bombard range (bombard range of 2 squares), can only attack cities

I haven't forgotten these, I just don't think we should include them. 4 siege units is tons, when every other faction is only getting 1-2.
And where bombardment abilities are incredibly powerful. The dwarven army still needs to be made up primarily of infantry and archers; put in too many siege units and you risk these dominating the core units. You also risk truly ridiculous numbers of units becoming available with the Cannons tech.
I'd be fine with putting in a bolt thrower instead of the flame cannon, but I'd definitely keep it at a single range bombardment. Can these things really shoot 50 km or more?

MOVE THE REST OF THIS DISCUSSION TO DWARVES (sorry it was my fault for going Off topic )

Done.

As I've said many times, I'm completely fine with a Runelord that can cast a handful of regular spells. Though I'd just give these spells to the Runelord; there's no need for a separate Anvil unit or equipment.

:lol: and as has been said before (;)) the Anvil of Doom can simply be represented Graphically with the Runelord.

with regards wot the Bolt Thrower and Mortar: id still quite like to see the Mortar in, as a national cap of 3 unit. id like to see how the 2 range bombardment goes. plus you need to consider the huge number of units the dwarves are missing from the mounted line. consider brettonia who has 5 UU knights (that i can think of)

Bretonnia can field much more than 5 UU knights, it is more like 15 of them, not all of them being top notch for sure, but still quite a pain to face in the field.

If the dwarves have limited mobility, which they should, I strongly support the idea of 2 range artillery, with national cap.

Top Bottom