Logic of AI Stealing Techs?

if i'm quite a ways behind when the first spies come into the game, i send them to the leaders' highest populated cities. at this point i don't really care if someone steals masonry or sailing from me when we're close to the renaissance era, and i would rather level up gradually while getting free tech, even if i could potentially level faster by sitting my spy in my capital waiting for the AI spies to come knocking. if i'm not far behind or if the game is close in general, i'll just keep my spy in my capital so that i don't send someone shooting into the lead via free science

^^The only thing about that is that the AI spy stealing from you will level up even faster.

I would like to see some math supporting that assertion. My spy in an AI cap levels up very fast, plus I am getting techs. The first spy does so well, I usually leave him there until I get a second one.

^^If you mean my assertion: If I have my spy in the enemy capital trying to steal a tech, that leaves their spies to steal will-nilly from my capital. If they are stealing lower techs while I'm trying to steal a higher tech, they will and do level up faster than me.

Example: I caught Arabia twice stealing lower techs from me (spy wasn't killed). I hadn't stolen one yet from the tech leader. Hence--that Arabian spy is a higher level. And the higher level that spy gets, the harder it will be to kill him.

That's all I was saying. And I've had games where I've kept my spy in the capital and got stolen from left and right. Even with a constabulary (and later a police station). Eventually I killed a spy (and it was probably a high-level spy) and eventually my spy leveled up.

But there are games where the spy in my capital is very good and kills a lot of spies and I level up very quickly.

I guess it depends on the game.

As I play at a lower level than you, I don't usually need to steal from the AI. But sometimes (like in the game in my OP), I fell behind tech-wise early.

Example: I caught Arabia twice stealing lower techs from me (spy wasn't killed). I hadn't stolen one yet from the tech leader. Hence--that Arabian spy is a higher level.
This is not uncommon, and argues as to why putting your first spy in your cap is probably not the strongest play. Yes, difficulty level does make a difference as to what is going to work best. But as you observe, like the AI, the player can be in the tech lead and still steal from an AI.

This conversation is feeling familiar, as you and I corresponded on the topic several weeks ago. Here is that table:
|none|Level 1|Level 2|Level 3
Chance to Notice|66%|100%|100%|100%
Chance to ID|33%|67%|77%|87%
Chance to kill|0|33%|43%|57%
One thing worth pointing out is that putting your Level 1 spy in your cap means that you are 50% more likely to notice the theft -- but it is still more likely than not that the thief gets away!

So, if you are really bothered by the AIs stealing tech from you, maybe you are better off not putting a spy in your cap? Odds of it happening are about the same, but at least you are significantly less likely to know of the offense! Or maybe wait to pull the spy home until after they have leveled up. That way you are killing enemy spies at about the same rate you were previously noticing.

And the higher level that spy gets, the harder it will be to kill him.
No, that at least is not correct. The higher the enemy level spy gets, the faster they steal from you. Your odds of killing the enemy spy stays the same. (Actually, since they are stealing more often, you have more opportunities to kill them!)

Thanks for the table, and yes--I do remember that other thread.

I'll try your ideas about the spys in my next game.

Appreciate your help :)

Top Bottom