Guild Ideas

Valkrionn

The Hamster King
As I posted a while back in the Download thread, I want to renovate the guilds. I dislike the whole "Get X commerce for Y bonus" mechanic behind them, they can be massively unbalanced with the ability to spread resources, and are on the whole just boring, though I know some people disagree with me there. ;)

Basically, my idea (up until just about an hour ago) was to have guilds grant access to improved buildings/units. This would be done using some code Ahwaric wrote, allowing buildings to obsolete others (Say, walls obsolete palisades. Build a wall, the palisade is removed and can not be built). Essentially, each guild grants several UU/UB's... Somewhere between a Religion and a Civ in uniqueness. To go with this, I'd have two guilds that oppose each other, granting related (but different) bonuses. Two guilds for engineering, one with Siege and one with Golems, and so on. Having these in the same city cause bad events, and guilds cost maintenance. Headquarters make a comeback.

My NEW idea was spawned by a discussion on #Erebus. It works along the same lines, but expands on it... I'm thinking enough so that it's a very solid mechanic.

There are two basic points.

1. Merge the Mastery buildings with Guilds. You then have opposing guilds, where one provides new units/buildings, and the other provides the means to improve your units. Makes for an interesting choice, and one that will vary from civ to civ... For example, if you have one guild provide better melee and another provide access to forged equipment (for all unitcombats), the Svarts would tend to go for the second, as melee is pretty useless for them.
    • Unfortunately, this system exaggerates an issue inherent in my original idea... While you don't want two opposing guilds in the same city, there's nothing stopping you from having them in different cities. Meaning you could get the units in one city, and the gear in another. This flaw led to my next idea.
  2. Each guild has a 'GuildClass', which it shares with it's opposing guild(s). For each class, you can only have one active guild at a time; This is controlled on the guild screen. (Think civics, here, with each CivicOption corresponding to a GuildClass... Civics would be Guilds) The active guild provides it's bonuses, whatever they may be. The inactive guild(s) do nothing but cost maintenance. To go with this there WILL be a 'guild-inquisition', which targets inactive guilds. Switching guilds causes anarchy, and causes any buildings requiring that guild to stop granting their bonuses. Shouldn't require them to be rebuilt, but the buildings do nothing for you until their guild is active again.
    • You can think of the basic system as a cross between religion and civics... Religion for the effects, civics for the method through which you activate them.

And here's some further refinement, from our Wave on Guilds...
Spoiler :

• There is no specific reason to limit it to just two guilds per class; We can have as many as we want, but it becomes more difficult to come up with valid choices when you add more. These aren't civics here, each guild should bring large effects. Several units/buildings, or lots of promotions.
  • Guild Class (for now, though I see no reason to ever change it) will just be a basic infos file. Easiest to add, no reason to ever need to add tags to it.
    • Actually, in this case it wouldn't be much more difficult to clone the CivicOptions file, as it is also pretty much just a type/description and is located in the same folder.
  • We don't need a guild for each unitcombat; Guilds for each FUNCTION, not unitcombat. So I could see several Engineering guilds... One providing Weapons/Armors (for all unitcombats, this would be the choice for recon-heavy civs IMO), one for golems/siege, one for naval. It should only be split if we decide we want two guilds for the same basic theme, and have different enough ideas to support them.
  • No recon guild, unless someone comes up with a very good idea; I don't see enough utility there. The Crime guild should have some recon boosts anyway, just further encouragement for Svarts to go Esus.
  • Mastery buildings do NOT need to correspond to a guild on a 1:1 basis... The promotions will mostly stay the same (I really don't want to redo all of that), but can have different requirements.
  • The equipment should still cost money, as you're paying the guild for it's services; To keep it from being too weak as a result, the units provided by the other guild will cost a higher maintenance. Buildings can drop gold production, etc

What do you think? Personally, I like it. As does Grey Fox, which means both C++ modders on the RifE team like it; Most likely will go in as a result. Of course, that has nothing to do with me being the head of the team... Course not. :king:

Feel free to post ideas on what types of guilds we should have. ;)

One last thing... This may seem like a large feature to detail before release, which is counter to the way we've been operating, but the awesome thing is that it's honestly average for the scope of work we've been doing for this patch. So I'm not really giving much away. :cool:

It sounds like an interesting idea. I look forward to trying it out.

How many/which classes of guilds did you have in mind, by the way (Engineering and Crime mentioned in the text, but other than that)?

I love the idea of adding any more uniqueness to the game. Not sure everyone will though. Is there anyway to have it as an option when you set up a new game?

Please don't use maintenance as the upkeep for a guild. It is almost impossible to understand since a new city raises maintenance in all other cities too. Using it for guilds too makes it too hard to understand the trade-off.

A flat :gold:cost; :health:, :hammers:... Anything that doesn't change depending on entirely unrelated events. If you must have percentage penalties (-10%:gold: for instance), please have it as a lower bonus on some building instead. Like replacing a Forge with a guild version that only gives +15%:hammers:.

---

In addition to a unit-guild and a promotion-guild, there should be an economy-guild. I like playing Scions guild heavy, with lots of tiny cities benefiting from the full guild experience. Without an economy guild that would be impossible.

---

I like that there is some incentive to collect multiple bonuses, but I agree that it is just a little too effective right now. Maybe have a Cartel class of guilds that benefit from many bonuses. I can think of many ways to reward multiple bonuses, but nothing that's both easy to implement and unlikely to get broken.

Spoiler :
  • Could be as simple as giving an extra :gold: for each resource, with the player with the most having his resource counted twice. (Player 1 has 3 of each silk, dye and wine(for a total of 3+3+3=9:gold:). Player 2 has 1 silk, 5 dye (for a total of 1+5*2=11:gold:). Player 3 has four of each but doesn't get anything, since he isn't in the silk, dye, wine cartel.)
  • Let the cartel vote for resolutions, with number of votes being determined by the number of relevant bonuses. Each resolution affects a single resource under the cartels purview and each cartel has at least one strategic resource. Some example resolutions:
    • Enforce Monopoly: All non-cartel players must pay to use the resource.
    • Disrupt Trade: The resource can no longer be used.
    • Proliferation Investment: A chance to spawn an extra resource for each cartel member.
    • Sanctioned Smuggling: Requires Disrupt Trade. Cartel members may use the resource.

Artificier guild : make it possible to bu stackable equipment which allows a new spell (for melee/recon) of explosive natuire (like "grenade", "bombs", "demolition charges")

How about the guild of "less thinking, and more patch releasing" :)

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Beware the opposing guild of "Less listenning to your opinion, more doing whatever I want" :)

It sounds like an interesting idea. I look forward to trying it out.

How many/which classes of guilds did you have in mind, by the way (Engineering and Crime mentioned in the text, but other than that)?

Keep in mind, these are all tentative and mostly holdovers from my first idea; Some will be changed, some will be removed.
As of now:
Spoiler :
GUILD_CLASS_ENGINEERING
Guild of Hammers
Stonefire Brotherhood
Has any boosts that are to do with metalworking
GUILD_CLASS_ARCANE
Circle of Eight
Alchemist Collective
Have the Arcane boosts

GUILD_CLASS_NAVAL

Kingfisher Brotherhood
Pirates
Have the Seafaring boosts
GUILD_CLASS_SIEGE
Dwarven Artificers
Fabricaforma
Have all the mechanical boosts e.g. Golems, Siege
GUILD_CLASS_CRIME
Negatives for all but CoE

I love the idea of adding any more uniqueness to the game. Not sure everyone will though. Is there anyway to have it as an option when you set up a new game?

Honestly, no. I don't want to add an option for this. ;)

Please don't use maintenance as the upkeep for a guild. It is almost impossible to understand since a new city raises maintenance in all other cities too. Using it for guilds too makes it too hard to understand the trade-off.

A flat :gold:cost; :health:, :hammers:... Anything that doesn't change depending on entirely unrelated events. If you must have percentage penalties (-10%:gold: for instance), please have it as a lower bonus on some building instead. Like replacing a Forge with a guild version that only gives +15%:hammers:.

---

In addition to a unit-guild and a promotion-guild, there should be an economy-guild. I like playing Scions guild heavy, with lots of tiny cities benefiting from the full guild experience. Without an economy guild that would be impossible.

---

I like that there is some incentive to collect multiple bonuses, but I agree that it is just a little too effective right now. Maybe have a Cartel class of guilds that benefit from many bonuses. I can think of many ways to reward multiple bonuses, but nothing that's both easy to implement and unlikely to get broken.

Spoiler :

• Could be as simple as giving an extra :gold: for each resource, with the player with the most having his resource counted twice. (Player 1 has 3 of each silk, dye and wine(for a total of 3+3+3=9:gold:). Player 2 has 1 silk, 5 dye (for a total of 1+5*2=11:gold:). Player 3 has four of each but doesn't get anything, since he isn't in the silk, dye, wine cartel.)
  • Let the cartel vote for resolutions, with number of votes being determined by the number of relevant bonuses. Each resolution affects a single resource under the cartels purview and each cartel has at least one strategic resource. Some example resolutions:
    • Enforce Monopoly: All non-cartel players must pay to use the resource.
    • Disrupt Trade: The resource can no longer be used.
    • Proliferation Investment: A chance to spawn an extra resource for each cartel member.
    • Sanctioned Smuggling: Requires Disrupt Trade. Cartel members may use the resource.

Some interesting thoughts. I'll probably do something like that for the upkeep, I just haven't really gotten to thinking about that yet. ;)

On the economic guilds.... I really, REALLY dislike them. Were I to do anything like your cartel, you would get one commerce for each SET of resources; In your example, if you have 2 silk, 1 wine, 1 dye, you get 1 commerce as you only have one set.

And even that is iffy. Any economic benefit can honestly be rolled into one of the other guilds; Have a building which has increased benefits as you gain more of a certain resource.

Artificier guild : make it possible to bu stackable equipment which allows a new spell (for melee/recon) of explosive natuire (like "grenade", "bombs", "demolition charges")

Dwarven Artificiers - Explosives, Golems, Siege Weapons Extraordinaire. :p

How about the guild of "less thinking, and more patch releasing" :)

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Beware the opposing guild of "Less listenning to your opinion, more doing whatever I want" :)

Exactly. :goodjob:

Especially that all savegames will be broken then :) and by most corrections that would be needed afterwards, so better to have everything working before release.

Does this mean you will make CoE a guild instead of a religion? Sounds like it fits the description of the former more than the later.

On a side note (related in my mind), this could be a back door way of achieving simple minor religions.

Simply create a...

GUILD_CLASS_MINOR_RELIGION
- Council of Esus ??? (perhaps better as the crime guild, or maybe force a choice here)
- Cult of the Dragon
- Scion's Cult
- Lizard's Religion
- Other minor religions or cults (Perhaps a cult of the Luonnitar {sp?}, and/or something to do with Machine Spirits)

Why you ask?
  1. They can run in the background and either oppose state religions.
  2. By being mutually exclusive, they can force interesting choices for some civs. For example the Matzatl could gain an interesting bonus by following the Cult of the Dragon (extra strength for Coatlann, another unique unit) at the loss of their unique priest units.
  3. They can allow civs without full religions another way to affect alignment and politics. For example civs can spread their minor religions to other civs and hope the civ adopts that civic. If so there can be a bonus to relations.
  4. Adding these minor religions and cults as guilds would be easier and more appropriate than adding them as full religions.
  5. Each civ could have an affinity for one of the minor religion guilds, with a reason to consider following another (or several others).

Does this mean you will make CoE a guild instead of a religion? Sounds like it fits the description of the former more than the later.

On a side note (related in my mind), this could be a back door way of achieving simple minor religions.

Simply create a...

GUILD_CLASS_MINOR_RELIGION
- Council of Esus ??? (perhaps better as the crime guild, or maybe force a choice here)
- Cult of the Dragon
- Scion's Cult
- Lizard's Religion
- Other minor religions or cults (Perhaps a cult of the Luonnitar {sp?}, and/or something to do with Machine Spirits)

Why you ask?
  1. They can run in the background and either oppose state religions.
  2. By being mutually exclusive, they can force interesting choices for some civs. For example the Matzatl could gain an interesting bonus by following the Cult of the Dragon (extra strength for Coatlann, another unique unit) at the loss of their unique priest units.
  3. They can allow civs without full religions another way to affect alignment and politics. For example civs can spread their minor religions to other civs and hope the civ adopts that civic. If so there can be a bonus to relations.
  4. Adding these minor religions and cults as guilds would be easier and more appropriate than adding them as full religions.
  5. Each civ could have an affinity for one of the minor religion guilds, with a reason to consider following another (or several others).

First off, CoE will remain a religion. May remain it the Cult of Esus, with the Council being the guild, but it will be both a religion AND a guild. With the biggest benefits coming from following both.

On Cults.... I planned to do something like that months ago. Back when this was FFPlus. :lol:

I had pretty much decided that the Traits (like Emperor's Cult) are a better representation, but now that we'll be adding GuildClasses, I may take another look at it.

On the economic guilds.... I really, REALLY dislike them. Were I to do anything like your cartel, you would get one commerce for each SET of resources; In your example, if you have 2 silk, 1 wine, 1 dye, you get 1 commerce as you only have one set.

The :gold: per resource was meant to be for the empire, not each city. But it was just part of a short brainstorm.

Just do something, anything,to encourage hoarding of resources. I hate that every silk (for instance) beyond the first one is useless.

And even that is iffy. Any economic benefit can honestly be rolled into one of the other guilds; Have a building which has increased benefits as you gain more of a certain resource.

But if there is no penalty for using guilds to make money, then everyone will do it and there is no strategy involved. Even worse, it has to be so weak as to not eclipse regular economy.

The :gold: per resource was meant to be for the empire, not each city. But it was just part of a short brainstorm.

Just do something, anything,to encourage hoarding of resources. I hate that every silk (for instance) beyond the first one is useless.

But if there is no penalty for using guilds to make money, then everyone will do it and there is no strategy involved. Even worse, it has to be so weak as to not eclipse regular economy.

How about this to encourage hoarding: An improved affinity system. Can have decimal effects (+0.1 :strength:, so on), can increase attack, defense, over all strength, withdrawal, movement, whatever.

Various effects of the guilds (either units or promotions) would carry these affinities. Would avoid the aspects of guilds I dislike, while still encouraging you to hoard the hell out of them. Making both of us happy. ;)

Especially that all savegames will be broken then

Saves have been thoroughly (sp?) Shattered already. This seems like an interesting idea, Valk.

Top Bottom