you have selected an unusable voice capture device

glee

Chieftain
I am running Vista Home on a Dell XPS-420 (Intel TM2 duo cpu).

1. When I load Civ 4 or Warlords (either from Civ 4 and Civ 4 Warlords discs, or from 'Civ 4 Complete'), I get the message:

"You have selected an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture disabled"

and I can click on 'OK' to proceed.
After several clicks, the game appears to run.

Has anyone else had this?
Does anyone know what is happening?

2. When I try to get two computers on my home network to play Multiplayer Civ 4 Warlords (where one is working from Civ 4 and Civ 4 Warlords discs and the other from 'Civ 4 Complete'), I get the message:

"Some files are not the same. Do you trust the user?"

The multiplayer game then appears to load correctly.

Has anyone else had this?
Does anyone know what is happening?

go into the ingame options and disable the enable voice capturing option in the audio settings

the file warnings are to be expected since complete (actually Beyond the Sword 3.13) changes some Warlords files which the most recent Warlords patch (2.13) does not.

:newyear:

go into the ingame options and disable the enable voice capturing option in the audio settings

the file warnings are to be expected since complete (actually Beyond the Sword 3.13) changes some Warlords files which the most recent Warlords patch (2.13) does not.

Thank you! :goodjob:

Guys, I have the same problem under Windows 2008
"You have selected an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture disabled"

Going to "audio" options I saw that my "enable voice chatting" (chatting, not capturing) checkbox is unchecked... But I see nowhere "enable voice capturing" checkbox and don't know how to disable it.

Can some body help?

Thank you

:) I have found solution:

search you CivilizationIV.ini-file, search there such text:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 1

change 1 to 0

Good luck! ;)

I recently bought Civ 4 and I ran into the same voice capture message. I went into the game options as suggested, but the problem is that there is no button or option for disabling voice capture in audio settings! What are people referring to?

Now what? I've seen other suggestions on here about changing the settings in the .ini file which is found in the Civ 4 folder itself, changing the voice value to 0 instead of 1 . But this presents another problem. When you go into the folder and look at the .ini file, you can't open it! How the heck do you open an .ini file?????:mischief:

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you for the anwers :thumbsup:

...but,? Why did Firaxis wrap up their amazing game with this kind annoying of bug in the end? It wasn't an issue before?!? Don't get me wrong, I love the Sid Meyers, but it's kind of irritating that I have to rediscover the solution to this problem everytime I have to re-install the game, which luckily ain't that often xD

:) I have found solution:

search you CivilizationIV.ini-file, search there such text:

change 1 to 0

Good luck! ;)

Im having the "voice capture device" problems, but have no idea what you guys are talking about to get to this ini-file.

Can someone please explain this to me and keep in mind I have no idea on how to use computers.

If someone could put some step by step insturctions I would GREATLY appreciate it!

For example, click start, type xxxxx then click this... etc.

I suggest you go:

start > search
then type in CivilizationIV.ini
open with notepad
search "voice"
then go change the value from '1' to '0'

Thanks, I tried that, but after that do you need to do anything else? I tried saving it but when i went back into the notepad, it still showed up as 1. The voice message still came up in the game too.

Can you let me know what Im doing wrong?

I tried that but the message still comes up :( it prompts me to save and I do, but each time I go back, the 1 is still there. Any ideas?

Top Bottom