you have selected an unusable voice capture device

I think I know what is happening with this message, and it has nothing to do with Civ.

It happened to me when I got a new microphone for my pc. I still haven't been able to figure out how to use it (e.g. with skype). With Vista there are just so many craxy boxes and options that pop up to do with sound and mikes. And I am no techie.

So basically I think it could be a hardware problem. Try plugging in the sound plugs into different holes.

Then again I could be completely wrong. But I get the same message, and only after I started fooling around with microphones and earphones.

I think I know what is happening with this message, and it has nothing to do with Civ.

It happened to me when I got a new microphone for my pc. I still haven't been able to figure out how to use it (e.g. with skype). With Vista there are just so many craxy boxes and options that pop up to do with sound and mikes. And I am no techie.

So basically I think it could be a hardware problem. Try plugging in the sound plugs into different holes.

Then again I could be completely wrong. But I get the same message, and only after I started fooling around with microphones and earphones.

I have nothing plugged in and I still have the problem so I don't think that's it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am having the exact same problem. I have read all the way down the page and have tried everything. I am so mad! This pop up every time i get on is so annoying! please will some one help us????
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I recently started getting this problem.

It seemed to be related to the fact my microphone was not plugged in. When I plugged it into my soundcard (in the correct hole), the error messages no longer happened, and when I unplugged it again they returned.

I found the solution! After you change the settings on the civilzationiv.ini file, you have to go to the one that's not .ini, and just says "civilizationiv." The type is "configuration settings." It's located in C:\Users\User\My Games\ and then whatever game it is you're playing. There should be 2 files that aren't in folders, and the one that was already mentioned was the .ini one. There should be another option in THIS file that says, "Enable voice over ip and playback." Change the 1 to 0. At least this fixed it for me...

Just wanted to say thanks.

Got tired of the that message box appearing all the time, and getting three messages at a time.

The simple right click the ini file in my documents folder and selecting edit did the trick.

Thanks again
-=Mark=-

When I first got Civ 4 I got that same message, I did the changes and then it went away. Since then I have downloaded a few mods Dune Wars, and the Canada one and the message came back. I checked my .ini file and voice capture is at 0, yet I get the message every time I go on Civ 4. Weird, no idea how to fix it.

in the path ie documents-my games-civ iv(in my case I open Warlords) and right click CivilizationIV configuration, click properties make sure read only is not checked, then close that box then click open the CivilizationIV configuration and change the 1 to a 0 on the voice over ip voice capture line. Save, right click go to properties again and check the read only box click apply and close it.

I recently bought Civ 4 and I ran into the same voice capture message. I went into the game options as suggested, but the problem is that there is no button or option for disabling voice capture in audio settings! What are people referring to?

Now what? I've seen other suggestions on here about changing the settings in the .ini file which is found in the Civ 4 folder itself, changing the voice value to 0 instead of 1 . But this presents another problem. When you go into the folder and look at the .ini file, you can't open it! How the heck do you open an .ini file?????:mischief:

Thanks,
Mike

IF you are LAZY, just plug a 3.5 mm stereo jack (male) into the microphone jack. This eliminates the error in IV and W/L, had not tried with BTS.
BAC

I am running Vista Home on a Dell XPS-420 (Intel TM2 duo cpu).

1. When I load Civ 4 or Warlords (either from Civ 4 and Civ 4 Warlords discs, or from 'Civ 4 Complete'), I get the message:

"You have selected an unusable voice capture device. Voice capture disabled"

and I can click on 'OK' to proceed.
After several clicks, the game appears to run.

Has anyone else had this?
Does anyone know what is happening?

:) I have found solution:

search you CivilizationIV.ini-file, search there such text:
; Enable voice over IP capture and playback
EnableVoice = 1
change 1 to 0

Good luck! ;)

This solution works perfectly!!!

IF you are LAZY, just plug a 3.5 mm stereo jack (male) into the microphone jack. This eliminates the error in IV and W/L, had not tried with BTS.
BAC

I've been having this problem myself the last few months. Problem just showed up out of nowhere. The microphone jack trick worked perfectly. I'm running Bts, now the problem is gone. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom