When does Civ 4 make you laugh?

I remember I conquered with a SOD a city of an other AI civ in modern times.The city was still surrounded by enemy territory and my enemy civ throws a nuke on his own city to destroy my SOD...
AI nuking his own people made me laugh.

It would be more humorous if it were Gandhi. Honestly, what is it with Gandhi and nukes?

I have fun when I get to Guided missiles 1st and I can plan "1st strike" attack against enemy capital on naval based maps where usually is AI main naval units stack and just few defenders... I have to use just some 12-18 guided missiles to destroy entire defense, destroy 15-20 ships and unload main land forces stack :D Because I play without nukes (UN resolution), this is time when I enjoy game most... even if its really annoying to send Missiles around the map all the time to load submarines (or missiles cruisers), I feel so... environment friendly without nukes :D

I have fun when I get to Guided missiles 1st and I can plan "1st strike" attack against enemy capital on naval based maps where usually is AI main naval units stack and just few defenders... I have to use just some 12-18 guided missiles to destroy entire defense, destroy 15-20 ships and unload main land forces stack :D Because I play without nukes (UN resolution), this is time when I enjoy game most... even if its really annoying to send Missiles around the map all the time to load submarines (or missiles cruisers), I feel so... environment friendly without nukes :D

I think taking a city destroys 100% of air and naval units your enemy had there, maybe if you tried just bombarding the defenses to 0% with destroyers/battleships to take the city with a marine wave attack you can save a lot of missiles.

No offense, but Guided Missiles (as already found by others, i. e. TMIT) are maybe the worst unit in the whole game.

You can bombard their city-defenses with Fighters and Bombers and then either Marines, or attack directly with having the penalty, or unload the stack. As already mentioned, Battleships and Destroyers can also bombard defenses.

I laugh every game, no way i could still play Civ4 without ;)

My last really funny moment..when i played deity isolation with no help (no waiting for a good start, average leader i think Kublai, and so on) and had chemistry sooner than AIs.
One guy i think it was Giggles started plotting after i met him with Astro, and only me as target made sense.

I started building privateers at some point, they are funny too so they fit this topic..he reached Astro, upgraded his ships (but no Frigates, galleons and Caras) and yep they all sailed in my direction. My privateers destroyed them all, he still showed his (now green) diplo face..sent more ships that all got destroyed with no DoW happening.

I begged some gold, 10 turns peace..fist not gone..and yep for sure he sent more ships soon and my privateers had more fun ;)
At some point i ended it with declaring before destroying more, and he took peace cos i had war success :b

No offense, but Guided Missiles (as already found by others, i. e. TMIT) are maybe the worst unit in the whole game.

You can bombard their city-defenses with Fighters and Bombers and then either Marines, or attack directly with having the penalty, or unload the stack. As already mentioned, Battleships and Destroyers can also bombard defenses.

I think the purpose of guided missiles is naval warfare. Attacking an evenly matched naval unit in coastal waters is a loser. If you have a missile cruiser and can soften them up first you generally stomp them without losses.

I think the purpose of guided missiles is naval warfare. Attacking an evenly matched naval unit in coastal waters is a loser. If you have a missile cruiser and can soften them up first you generally stomp them without losses.

Question is what is better, having 2 guided Missiles that are gone after the attack, or having 1 Fighter than can be re-used basically at least 10 times, or, having an additional Battleship instead of 4 Missiles.

I'd personally always go with the Fighters / Carriers / Battleships.

What also helps a lot imho is waiting for the AI to attack while onesself has the 10% STR-bonus from the coast, attacking against that bonus is usually a though task, unless one attacks with a much higher base-STR.

Carriers/fighters are a choice, definitely. Missiles are really cheap though and can be produced in landlocked cities, so I'm not above using them if conditions warrant.

Fighters also can be produced in land-locked cities.

I think it's just a question of how close it really is, if the AI is really on par with you or even stronger, Guided Missiles could help. Figthers get the upper hand really fast though. In the first fight, Missiles still have the advantage, but the more one fights, the more efficient re-usable units become. If I had to guess, I think that a Fighter would already be cheaper after the 2nd or 3rd Fight.

Also: Fighters can defend against enemy Aircrafts and they can shoot down enemies even when attacking (though of course, they also can be shot down) , so Fighters win at least, when it comes to versatility.

I agree with all that. Sometimes I just don't have the carrier. Failure to prioritize building said carrier, obviously, but the 'upgrade a battleship and stick some missiles on it' has been a good stopgap for me a few times.

I find Guided Missiles can be helpful because they can get enemy units below 50% and finish them off (unlike air units which cap damage at 50%). Sometimes enemy will have a very strong unit that still gives you bad odds for attacking, guided missiles can help soften that up so you don't lose any units. A rare situation, I'll grant.

They can also be helpful if the enemy is moving in to pillage improvements and you have no nearby ground units to spare.

Guided missiles are effective and cheap, but not so handy if the enemy cities are out of reach. I can't imagine wasting them on anything but directly into a heavily fortified city though.

Although my invasion fleets usually are Battleships, Destroyers, Carriers (lots), and transports, I will frequently include a missile loaded sub or two if it is a heavy water map. They are useful to sink enemy ships that the patrol fighters see but are out of range of even the destroyers. The subs move towards them and then launch the missiles to hit the enemy. I don't use them for much else, although if they are in the fleet they get used for something, just because they are there. Anticipating remarks about efficiency and optimal play… I play for fun not those two things.

If you wish to discuss the merits of guided missiles or invasion fleets create a thread for such arguments. Please use this thread for what makes you laugh, or find humorous with game play.

Sorry - I didn't notice the thread title. :blush:

When Isabella is reduced to one city on an all out devestating war with Brennus ask med to stop trading with said Brennus, who is my closest neighbour and whos power ecplises mine by a far margin - and I tell her no - and she leans closer to the screen giving me the evil eye telling me to chose my friends wisely. Well, lady, that's excatly what I'm doing. :lol:

Hehe, was in a similar position with Isabella and she informed me that her Grand Inquisitor would like to have a word with me.

Guided missiles avoid interception, which is a huge plus. Also, flight is a very expensive and fairly dead-end tech in many respects.

I just found something I find funny:

Having a Blitz-Destroyer when being at war on Archipelagio against a Civ that doesn't have Combustion :D ^^ .

I had an AP induced DOW against me (AP religion was on the other continent), the AIs did their typical naval invasion stuff that went nowhere, and took quick peace offers. Except this one civ (I think Greece) who was landlocked and won't talk to me so we just stayed in a state of war for the rest of the game.

Once a while there would be another crusade against me with the same effect and AIs would sue for peace. It was almost more profitable than trading.

Top Bottom