Map size vs Sea level

Acrobat

Chieftain
I am looking for a map size which is slightly larger than standard but smaller than Large, so I thought that the best option was a standard map with a low sea level. However I was wondering how much effect does sea level really have, because after playing a couple of maps I am gettign the impression that sea level is rather significant and makes a map closer to "large" than to "standard"

Anyone knows if this is really so?

Thanks.

I think(correct me if I'm wrong) lower sea levels just mean more inland seas and islands with little difference to the actual size of the main continents or watever map you're playing.

I may be wrong too....but I think that a higher sea level means that there is a higher percentage of ocean squares to land squares for a given map size.

You are correct, Acrobat. Low sealevel means more land. I actually tried this out by generating a few maps and took screenshots. I'll post it here as soon as possible.

That would be great :)

I am particularly interested in knowing how much sea level affects land mass size.

i.e if for example a standard map has 500 land squares and a large map has 1000 land squares, does a standard map with low sea level have 600? 700? 800? 900? land squares?

I also think that this affects gameplay quite considerably since I assume that the (default) number of civs in the game is determined by map size and not sea level. Hence a standard map with low sea level would not be very crowded whereas a large map with high sea level would be very crowded with civs.

Can someone come up with some numbers which show how large an affect sea level has vis a vis different map sizes?

Thanks for helping!

Very good questions, Acrobat. I tend to agree with your expectations, though, and will be interested in the data anyone can present... regardless they're excellent points.

Wodan

Thanks for the mod suggestion. I generally tend to shy away from mods, but I may decide to try this one out :) However if anyone can crunch some numbers on the significance of sea level, I`d be very happy :)

Acrobat said:
Thanks for the mod suggestion. I generally tend to shy away from mods, but I may decide to try this one out :) However if anyone can crunch some numbers on the significance of sea level, I`d be very happy :)

Its not a mod, its just a map script and a very good one at that. Gives a huge amount of control to you over what's on the map and how much of it--including setting the exact dimensions of the map by overriding the preset dimensions for each size. Recommended!

Top Bottom