Reseed!

I tried the new version very briefly yesterday, and I didn't find the "reveal unknown resource" option (while peeking at the current map). Where is it?

Also, I somehow lost unit hover tooltips. I'm not sure if that was a bug of Reseed!, or a conflict with CiVUP, or a bug of the game itself. I'm also not sure if it is reproducable (had no time to try reproduce it).

I tried the new version very briefly yesterday, and I didn't find the "reveal unknown resource" option (while peeking at the current map). Where is it?
It is only displayed under those conditions:
* When the fog is removed and you're not viewing the strategic map.
* Or when you are previewing a new map.

I will try to broaden that in the future but it requires additional work.

Also, I somehow lost unit hover tooltips. I'm not sure if that was a bug of Reseed!, or a conflict with CiVUP, or a bug of the game itself. I'm also not sure if it is reproducable (had no time to try reproduce it).
This is indeed a Reseed bug, I need to release a new version. ;)

It is only displayed under those conditions:
* When the fog is removed and you're not viewing the strategic map.
* Or when you are previewing a new map.

That's it, I use the strategic view exclusively (and I'd like to have a mod that starts a new or loaded game in strategic view, or the view in which the loaded game was saved, or the view that I had when I last quitted the game). But I'm curious why it's a technical difficulty to do have that option in strategic view -- if anything, it should be the opposite, for in strategic view, you don't need to render nice graphics in accordance with the resource, just an icon.

From a UX perspective, it's generally better to show an option and disable it when not applicable, rather than hide it. You can use tooltip to inform the user why it's disable at the given time. That keeps the user better informed, and allows for a more consistent UI.

This is indeed a Reseed bug, I need to release a new version. ;)

If you could do that sooner than later, it'd be much appreciated. Unit tooltip is rather indispensable...

That's it, I use the strategic view exclusively (and I'd like to have a mod that starts a new or loaded game in strategic view, or the view in which the loaded game was saved, or the view that I had when I last quitted the game). But I'm curious why it's a technical difficulty to do have that option in strategic view -- if anything, it should be the opposite, for in strategic view, you don't need to render nice graphics in accordance with the resource, just an icon.
There are many layers: the map at the bottom and, over that, the game and Reseed both add their own ones for resources, yields and tool tips. But contrary to the 3D view, the strategic view already includes resource icons, so the resource layer is hidden when the strategic view is disabled. As a result I need to create a special layer for the strategic view (since the resource icons are not the same ones and not at the same positions than they are on the 3D view) that will only display unrevealed resources, or adapt my own strategic map so that it only displays unrevealed resources over the vanilla strategic map. It's not difficult, it's just more work while I want to take a break from Reseed.

From a UX perspective, it's generally better to show an option and disable it when not applicable, rather than hide it. You can use tooltip to inform the user why it's disable at the given time. That keeps the user better informed, and allows for a more consistent UI.
I do agree with that but the "disabled" effect is really confusing on the check boxes in Civ5. The user doesn't understand it is disabled, he thinks it just does not react because of a bug. And many users do not read tool tips. Hence why I chose to hide them. I may try to create my own disabled effect in a future release. Additional work, again...

If you could do that sooner than later, it'd be much appreciated. Unit tooltip is rather indispensable...
I will but meanwhile you can just reload your game and it will get rid of the problem.

I'm massively impressed by your new version, DonQuiche. It works like a charm and the way you are presented a preview is really spot on.

I'm massively impressed by your new version, DonQuiche. It works like a charm and the way you are presented a preview is really spot on.
Uhm,

I was too quick, sadly. Previewing works but I can't get any further, my game simply crashes. And I also notice that the Ecsape key has no use anymore.

Still massively impressed though, it looks very neat.

I'm playing the game on an Intel Core i7 PC with 6GB memory and W7. Using quite some mods that caused no problems with Reseed v4.5:
- Barbarians - Unlimited Exp (v 2)
- Broadway Wonder (v 4)
- Buildings - Mill Changes (v 4)
- Buildings - Textile Mill (v 2)
- Classical Espionage (v 3)
- Colored Religions (v 3)
- Cultural Diffusion (v 12)
- Global - Counter Espionage (v 2)
- Global - Enable Magellan (v 2)
- Goody Huts - No Maps (v 2)
- Hollywood Wonder (v 2)
- InfoAddict (v 19)
- Ingame Editor (v 28)
- Medieval Espionage (v 1)
- Monarchy Palace Plus (v 2)
- Promotions - Crossovers (v 4)
- Promotions - No InstaHeal (v 2)
- UI - City Production (v 6)
- UI - Destination (v 2)
- UI - Found Pantheon Button (v 1)
- UI - Trade Opportunities (v 17)
- Units - Equine Need Stables (v 3)
- Units - Galleon (GK) (v 2)
- Units - Naval Changes (GK) - Early Eras (v 1)
- Units - Naval Changes (GK) - Late Eras (v 1)
- Units - No Mechs (v 4)
- Units - Starting Scout (v 1)
- Units - Super Carrier (v 4)

@Hieronymus
I guess the game crashes on the loading screen? Then it is not a Reseed bug (anyway crashes are always civ5 bugs) and v4.5 would also crash. This is a civ5 bug that happens when you load a save while you are in-game. This is usually caused by some mods(*) although on some computers it happens even without them (but not on yours since you did not have problems before: I guess you updated to added mods since v4.5, or maybe it just happens randomly when you stack mods). So without any other mod and you will likely not see crashes anymore.

You may also try to set the speed to "safest", it may change something sometimes on some computers. But mods are your prime "suspect" and complaining to Firaxis the only way to have this problem fixed.

(*) "Caused" does not mean it's those mods' fault. They actually do nothing wrong. It's just one of the many crashes introduced with the pre-G&K patch by Firaxis.

I'm struggling to rule things out now :) (and unfortunately Steam kicks in knowing what's best for you). Will keep you posted.

EDIT: there seems to be a spurious variable involved.

Sorry for my second doublepost but I think I found the problem: InfoAddict v19 seems to cause the loading problems:
- when I start a new game without InfoAddict v19, with the other mentioned mods I use and not use Reseed v5 loading a savegame works
- when I start a new game with InfoAddict v19, with the other mentioned mods I use and not use Reseed v5 loading a savegame fails
- when I start a new game without InfoAddict v19, with the other mentioned mods I use and use Reseed v5 loading a savegame works
- when I start a new game with InfoAddict v19, with the other mentioned mods I use and use Reseed v5 loading a savegame fails

Also, InfoAddict v19 causes Reseed to not reload the map after saving it as reload_#. I hope someone can replicate this. Also #2: in my previous gaming setup I used Reseed v4.5 and InfoAddict v18. InfoAddict was updated by the game at the same time that Reseed was updated.

Thank you for this investigation work, Hyronymus. :)
Now I tried InfoAddict v19 and on my computer it does not cause any problem. As I said before, this is not really a mod's bug, it's a civ5 bug you can fix by removing some mods. Maybe it happens if you have many mods doing something specific? Maybe your problem could be fixed by keeping InfoAddict and removing another mod instead?

If you have some time, I suggest you complain about it to Firaxis: the more users will complain about that, the higher the odds they will fix it. And do not let them tell you it is a mod's problem! ;)

Thank you for this investigation work, Hyronymus. :)
Now I tried InfoAddict v19 and on my computer it does not cause any problem. As I said before, this is not really a mod's bug, it's a civ5 bug you can fix by removing some mods. Maybe it happens if you have many mods doing something specific? Maybe your problem could be fixed by keeping InfoAddict and removing another mod instead?

If you have some time, I suggest you complain about it to Firaxis: the more users will complain about that, the higher the odds they will fix it. And do not let them tell you it is a mod's problem! ;)
I come from a country where complaining is a virtue (sadly), I'll see how I contact Firaxis. The fact that you cannot replicate it with InfoAddict v19 makes it even more weird to me but well, we (I) have to learn to play without InfoAddict for a while :D.

Hmm, for some reason it doesn't crash anymore for me while reloading saves that depend on a mod. I better never ever change anything ever again... =)

Hello and welcome on CivFanatics. :)

I had to refuse previous translation offers because the mod was undergoing drastic changes at a fast pace. But with v5 it seems like the previously experienced problems cooled off, which means I won't need to do big UI changes anymore. So, yes, it would be a pleasure to accept your translation. :)

If you need some help on how to do it, I wrote a guide some time ago for IGE, it is available here. And if you do have questions, of course, do not hesitate!

To everyone:
The mod entered a stable phase and translation offers can now be accepted. :)

"You will see a preview of the map to be generated and will be able to select another one or forgive it."
Hello, I have to ask you about this. In this sentence, some pronouns seems to be ambiguous to me. Plus, what exactly do you mean by "forgive it"? I sort of get what it means,but i have to make sure.
Does it mean you'll be able to select another previewed map(map type) or just abandon this currently previewed map?

Oops, my bad. :lol:
It should have been "forget" and not "forgive". But "drop" would be probably better.
Anyway, you understood the meaning correctly: you can either reclick "preview" to generate a new map, or press escape to drop the map and quit the preview mode.

Top Bottom