A Mod of Ice and Fire

VirtuaBoza

Chieftain
This is a mod based on the book series by George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the HBO show Game of Thrones. This mod requires the Gods and Kings Expansion.

Quite Wonderful - GAMESPOT.COM
One of The Best Civilization V Mods - PCGamer.com
One Fantastic Mod - RaidWarning.COM

To be clear, the Gamespot guys in the video were confused. THERE WAS NO WESTEROS MAP OR SPECIFIED START POSITIONS IN THIS MOD AS REVIEWED. THERE IS NOW.

Features include:

- Custom maps with scenarios for specialized start positions:
Westeros Map
The Known World Map

- Civs and Leaders:
The Stormlands - Renly Baratheon
Dothraki Khalasar - Drogo
The Iron Islands - Balon Greyjoy
The Westerlands - Tywin Lanniser
The Crownlands - Stannis Baratheon
The North - Robb Stark
House Targaryen - Daenerys Stormborn
The Reach - Mace Tyrell
Dorne - Doran Martell
The Riverlands - Edmure Tully
*NEW* Free Folk - Mance Rayder
*NEW* The Vale - Petyr Baelish

- Every Civ has a unique trait, three special units/buildings, and city names appropriate to their house.

- Religions:
The Seven
The Old Gods
R'hllor
The Drowned God
The Great Stallion
The Many-Faced God

- Great People and Spy Names come from characters in the series, Techs end in the Renaissance Era, and other nice features!

Can be found on Steam here. If Steam isn't working right, or you're a Mac user, you can download and install the mod yourself following the directions in the ReadMe.

This is a great mod, I've been playing it for a few weeks now and thoroughly enjoy it. I have had a few problems today after updating from ver 3 to ver 4. I can't play my previous saved games and when I start a new game I find it freezes after a while. Would you know if anyone else is having these problems? While waiting for these bugs to be fixed would you know where I can still download ver 3 (gives me something to play while waiting for the fixes). Thanks in advance.

This is a great mod, I've been playing it for a few weeks now and thoroughly enjoy it. I have had a few problems today after updating from ver 3 to ver 4. I can't play my previous saved games and when I start a new game I find it freezes after a while. Would you know if anyone else is having these problems? While waiting for these bugs to be fixed would you know where I can still download ver 3 (gives me something to play while waiting for the fixes). Thanks in advance.

Luir has responded to your post on Steam, but in case you missed it:

I figured the new stuff in the update could break some saves. Get the old build here so you can finish your game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2qrj6ddqqpiyhq/A Mod of Ice and Fire (G&K) (v 3).zip

quick question....each civ start with a settler at that civ. starting position? or they start with the cities already settled?

If it's the former, I would suggest for a future update, you can give each kingdom 4 or 5 cities and disable city building.
Nothing is more game breaking / lore killer than having the cpu build an "Oldtown" near Harrenhal or building Lannisport near Storm Ends.

Hey VirtuaBoza. Let me just say I love your mod! I love seeing all the ASOIAF characters, but it is still competitive and plays out just like a normal civ game. Best of both worlds! A couple things I thought of you might want to consider adding in the future

1) Bravos as a maritime city state (its essentially based on venice, so you can just use that city state for now until BNW)
2) Potenitally consider adding some wonders in like the Kings Road, The Wall, or the Harpies of Quarth (or whatever that city was). There are multiple times in the game when I'm doing nothing but churning out units and waiting on something to build. I know having Tywin Lannister building the Harpie wouldn't be accurate, but neither is Washington building the Kremlin in a regular game, and they would add even more of the GOT world into the mod.

This is a great mod, has some slight balance issues but still great promise. I wish you guys could take the better features of this GoT mod (A Civ of Ice and Fire) and incorporate them:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395200
latest version: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15729

Some of the better features:
- the game with territory boundaries already set, Kings Road already built
- more city states from lesser GoT houses
- resources like oil, now named pitch and certain units require it to build
- tech tree is quite good, ie Valyrian Steel, wildfire, Maester, etc.
- the Westeros & Essos map seems a little bigger, Iron Islands have more islands, The Wall is already built (ice barrier), etc, (Maybe its huge?)
- many, many unique units

I doubt we'll see any of these features, but it'd make an amazing mod that much better. The guys doing A Civ of Ice and Fire don't seem to post much and haven't updated anything since August 2012.

Fantastic job on this mod you two. How long have you been working on it? I knew a team was working on a GoT mod before CiV was even released, and there are a few of them. But I think a lot of modders got frustrated by the lack of options early on in CiV's life and gave up.

A GoT mod is something I would like to see filled out so I am glad one is still being actively developed. I started reading the books, but I like the TV show much more than I like the books. For me, GoT is unique in that respect. I prefer to remain unspoiled and keep my knowledge of the universe to what is in the TV show.

Anyway, after starting up the obligatory Stark house game, I quickly abandoned it and made a Dothraki empire. A few observations on a Dothraki start to a Westeros and Essos scenario:

• My kingdom for a horse! Are there that few horses on Essos?
  • The sovereigns. Most of them are totally worthless. I'd expect that since my bonus is attacking sovereigns, I would have to get some of them in order to keep up expansion. But Essos is big and empty and full of resources, unlike the sovereign lands. Perhaps make a few of the resources on Essos exclusively sovereign controlled. Maybe the horses?
  • The continent is very well done. I was able to navigate using maps of Essos and everything was where I thought it was. The only thing that seemed amiss was that the eastern coast of Essos is desert when I expected forest.
  • The starting plot for Vaes Dothrak is epic. Once you get a granary built, you've got a lot of plots that will grow your city fast. Gold is hard to come by (unless you shake down sovereigns ... nice!) until you start adding some river cities. Vaes Dothrak is also not where I expected it to be.
  • The night is dark and full of terrors wildlings. There are a lot, and stamping them out is kind of tedious. At one point one of my warriors was completely surrounded by brutes. That unit did not survive. I'm not really sure what can be done about this. I can only imagine the barbarians would be worse if Vaes Dothrak was on the east coast.
  • The AI doesn't seem to care that much about religion. It probably should since it is the only way to get culture really. Those policies don't arrive that often without a Mother of the Mountain in every city. I don't know how that one poster on Steam lost a cultural victory except that he must have played the game for a thousand turns or more. Or maybe it was all that culture earned from killing wildlings with the Honor tree.
  • Because the starting plot is very high in production, Vaes Dothrak eventually became idle. Eventually I had (by far) the largest military. I'm pretty sure you are already working (or planning to work) on wonders, which would solve this unexpected production surplus I have.
  • It's lonely and boring. I only have Daenerys and a bunch of sovereigns who love me because I am constantly trouncing wildlings for them. But I won't be seeing the rest of the houses until I tech way up and sail across the narrow sea. I guess it's my playstyle, but I prefer to see all the backstabbing and intrigue and not hear about what an unknown civ does.
  • The Starks start on top of 4 horses and I get none unless I build cities specifically to capture horse resources? Really?

I've heard plenty of people are playing the Greyjoys, so I might try a Lannister game and see how they fare. Seems a little more crowded than the Stark and Dothraki starts.

Again, great job! :)

EDIT: Looking at your newest patch (with the map to Essos, it looks like the continent was redone?)

Each Civ starts with their capital and a warrior. I'd like to keep the mod the way it is where players can build cities wherever they want just like in the real game.
quick question....each civ start with a settler at that civ. starting position? or they start with the cities already settled?

If it's the former, I would suggest for a future update, you can give each kingdom 4 or 5 cities and disable city building.
Nothing is more game breaking / lore killer than having the cpu build an "Oldtown" near Harrenhal or building Lannisport near Storm Ends.

I think it would be fun to have a senario with preplaced cities some time down the road. I also enjoy settling the map on my own.

Looks quite interesting. I don't like custom maps for scenarios that require first building up*, is there also a random map option?

*Just judging from the maps on steam, Essos is quite empty and could use a Volantis civ for the Dothraki to conquer for example.

As for other stuff, just continue, looks like a good job so far :)

Fantastic work. I enjoy this mod immensely and play it often. I am especially pleased that there have been regular updates, including new factions.

Some thoughts and suggestions. Happy to discuss these in greater detail and play them out to their logical conclusions.

Probably the most straightforward modification would be to introduce Wonders. We already know of several particular to this setting: Valyrian roads, The Wall, the Titan of Braavos, and the triple walls of Qarth. Others might include the Hightower of Oldtown and Harrenhal. Conceivably, you could add things like the Slave Pits of Mereen and the Great Sept of Baelor, as well as the Red Keep and Dragon Pit.

As a fan of traditional factions (and unique units!), might I suggest any of the following?

Black Targaryens, led by the Boy Prince Aegon, with the ability to build heavy spearmen (The Golden Company) and war elephants.

House Bolton, led by Roose Bolton, with one UB (Dungeon) and UU (Northern Infantry or Karstark Men).

House Frey, led by Walder Frey, with one UB (Fortified Crossing) and one UU (Heavy Crossbowman).

Finally, would it be possible to start each faction with a collection of Great Persons at the outset, specific to that faction? Jon Connington and Randall Tarly as Great Generals, Melissandre as a Great Prophet, & etc.?

Also, I would think that Anno Domini would have some great units for you to include, assuming that that kind of thing is above-board.

I'm really enjoying this mod, one thing I noticed is that the world wrap makes Essos right next to Casterly Rock, not sure if that's intentional to make the world more conquerable or whatnot.

I don't know if you can add custom music to leaderscreens and such, but Tywin definitely deserves the Rains of Castamere playing when I go to crush the upstart Riverlands.

Anyway, looking forward to updates but it's quite fun as is (at least with the factions I've played as), good job!

Any plans to update this for BNW? I just discovered this mod today and would really like to try it out.

played just about all the way thru a game as the north on the known world map, but i literally had to restrain myself from conquering everything way too soon, winterfell maxed out pretty early as did 2 other cities, found myself with not much to do than spam units.

a few suggestions:

as others have said we need some wonders, or at least national wonders, kind of run out of things to do

i'd like to see more missions from the city states, they are pretty infrequent

the ai needs to focus religion a bit more

right now the north on the known world map is pretty unbalanced, I started another game on the westeros map and I actually like the much higher placement of marauder camps. The north is simply too large and productive compared to the other realms, rush 2 settlers to culture block off the neck and you can expand at will as open borders and even embarkment comes way too late (not that id give OB till cities were established, would it be possible to let all civs embark settlers though?). I also feel the north should have more natural resources, iron, stone copper etc and less wheat, a little more tundra as well. Maybe remove 1-2 net luxuries from the north to slow down expansion too

I havent played as dothraki/targaryen yet but I can only imagine it would be pretty unbalanced as well, the continent is just far too large for 2 civilizations unless you really up the barbarians to slow the start down. I'd suggest either or both a free city and slave city civilization. Still leave some independent sovereigns but just a little more competition on the map.

Mance needs to be more aggressive and smarter, my spies kept catching him plotting vs kingdoms south of me he had no chance of doing anything to.

The other kingdoms should be a little more wary of the north, start them off with poorer relations (except the riverlands and vale maybe) just to signify their cultural differences, also the essos and westerosi kingdoms shouldnt be friendly to start.

Not sure if it happens in all games but the iron islands had a settler on their island for >50 turns without trying to build a 2nd city

All the southern kingdoms kept DoW'ing each other but there didnt seem to be any alliances or grudges, eventually the martells got a slight edge, took a few cities but for all the warring not much is happening.

Nobody else on westeros has allied or DoW'd any of the sovereigns, I would think harrenhall would be pretty important for them to fight over just because it gives access to attack others

Naval units need an extra movement point or two on a map this large

slow research a bit maybe, nothing fun about researching future techs

Looks great!!

I've always been a huge fan of mods like this and I'm glad to see one for ASOIAF.

Coming from my favorite mod communities: RFC, RFC Europe, and RFC Asia, here are some suggestions of how to add depth to the mod.

ASOIAF everything: units (can be pretty similar but maybe more themed to the story), buildings (same thing), techs that pertain to the story (maestery, valyrian steel as a full tech, dragons for danerys?, obsidian, etc. etc.)

I'm thinking for the freys they could be soverign.

As for balancing the known world, you could chop esteros into just the western half. This would make Drogo more in the action and make it less of a run-away continent for these two teams (even if its larger, the desert and soverigns would make it balanced).

I also agree. The most crowded areas of the south should be jam packed with resources and the north could be a little more barren. I'm picturing not so much tundra but just lots of woods without too many resources.

And I second the opinion that we need wonders. They could just be vanilla Civ 5 wonders but renamed and with different pictures for now...

So excited!

Does not work for me, game freezes right away when it is finnishing loading and you are about to start playing.

There was a recent update in my mod list for this mod (the only mod I have listed there actually), and after the update I couldn't load an existing save, but starting a new game works fine. So maybe that's the issue some are experiencing.

A question:
How to upgrade daenerys's dragons? Does it happen automatically or is there some player action needed.

Great mod, thanks.

Top Bottom