Resource icon

Enhanced User Interface v1.29i

A number of tooltips show what I guess are internal variable names, for example the Caravan shows TradeRouteLandDistanceModifier and TradeRouteLandGoldBonus.
Yes Enhanced User Interface is a work in prgress, it's only a hobby.
the UI relies almost entirely on Civ5 built-in text, using your selected language. Some of the unit & building tags have no built-in text, however, and would need to be translated (anyone interested ? :D)
So what you are seing are some of the game's XML tags for which no text is provided. No one cared enough to volunteer for the translations, so...

bc1, could you perhaps say where I could find the Package ID for your mod (or just post it here somewhere :))? I'm creating a mod that includes some small UI changes. I would like these changes to be compatible with your mod, for those who use it, so I'm creating a small "compatibility patch" mod, which I would like to Require your DLC, but it doesn't show up in the dropdown in ModBuddy (presumably for the same arcane reason it doesn't show up in the DLC list in the game).

I've tried that and even if you give the EUI pseudo-DLC the required GUIDs for some reason known only to the Firaxis devs (I suspect hard-coding somewhere) your mod will load regardless of whether or not this mod is enabled

Alrighty, been playing around with your DLC and I gotta say "Awesome work!". Quite enjoying the interface improvements.

One minor issue: Your enhanced tooltips removed the trade route information. Previously in regular BNW games if I mouseover a tile where trade routes pass through I get a summary of all the trade routes that go through that tile - who they belong to, origin city (owner), destination city (owner). It was fairly useful to use that to figure out a few things (like NOT to plunder this particular caravan because it'll annoy another AI) but, like I said, it's minor and I can deal with it.

Any progress on linking the "Rename Unit" feature to someplace else on the UI other than the Promotion interface?

Alrighty, been playing around with your DLC and I gotta say "Awesome work!". Quite enjoying the interface improvements.

One minor issue: Your enhanced tooltips removed the trade route information. Previously in regular BNW games if I mouseover a tile where trade routes pass through I get a summary of all the trade routes that go through that tile - who they belong to, origin city (owner), destination city (owner). It was fairly useful to use that to figure out a few things (like NOT to plunder this particular caravan because it'll annoy another AI) but, like I said, it's minor and I can deal with it.

Any progress on linking the "Rename Unit" feature to someplace else on the UI other than the Promotion interface?
Thanks for your feedback. The missing trade route info is a mistake, fixed for next release. The rename unit thingy will be in too.
Happy holidays

Thanks for your feedback. The missing trade route info is a mistake, fixed for next release. The rename unit thingy will be in too.
Happy holidays

Woot! Awesome. And happy holidays to you too!

Awesome work! I really like your UI. The display of tradeable ressources is more than elegant, and the highlighting of worked tiles when you hover over the city banner is perfect!

Sadly, I have a serious problem getting it to work with the Communitas mods by Thalassicus.

The tooltip showing yields shows weird, huge numbers when hovering over tiles within the city borders. This only happens when the mod is active, but it is independent of the UI part, the gameplay part is enough.

If you can't find the source, could you just hide insanely high yields (above 1000 or so)? I think this would be a quick&dirty fix.

Thx for looking into this!

Attachments

• UI Bug.jpg
    UI Bug.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 981
  • UI Bug 2.jpg
    UI Bug 2.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 1,004
Thanks for your feedback.
It looks like the Communitas mods are creating new yields but that the corresponding functionality is incomplete. AFAIK they are still in their early development stages... I will try to work with them to iron out incompatibilities when their development matures and stabilizes.
Happy holidays

This should make the code compatible with both the unmodded game and communitas; in the global section of PlotHelpManager.lua:

PHP:
function Contains(list, value)
	for k, v in pairs(list) do
		if v == value then
			return true
		end
	end
	return false
end

local tileYields = {
	YieldTypes.YIELD_FOOD		,
	YieldTypes.YIELD_PRODUCTION	,
	YieldTypes.YIELD_GOLD		,
	YieldTypes.YIELD_SCIENCE	,
	YieldTypes.YIELD_CULTURE	,
	YieldTypes.YIELD_FAITH		
}

then alter wherever we loop through yields (lines 225, 610, 805):

PHP:
for yield in GameInfo.Yields() do
	if Contains(tileYields, yield.ID) then
		-- do stuff
	end
end

It shouldn't affect your project, and will avoid checking new yields the core game functions can't handle. The problem is core functions like plot:CalculateYield(yieldID) don't do safety checks like these. I think that's all that is necessary to make our projects compatible. I've been using them together for about a month now. I'll redo my edits with the latest version of your project and check for other compatibility notes. I really like your work. :)

One tip to make it easier to adapt your project to future patches: if you can keep changes limited in a file, put a simple line like "--modchange" before each area you make changes. This makes it easy when comparing patch files to tell the difference between what Firaxis changed and we changed.

Another tip is Firaxis writes their code poorly in many places, but it's best to leave that alone. They have inconsistent variable names for example. They might use "pCity" in one place, "city" in another, and "g_city" in another. It's frustrating to work with, and I used to fix these mistakes. It unfortunately just made it harder to adapt to patches, since file comparisons spit out more mismatches.

Sometimes it's not possible to do what you want with just a few small edits. When this is true, I abandon the goal of of easy adaptation and just rewrite the whole file. I did this for one or two things like InfoTooltipInclude.

Attachments

• PlotHelpManager.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 173
Hello Thalassicus

the change you suggest would make EUI incompatible with mods which do add new yields while providing corresponding functionality...

And yes I agree with keeping changes limited, the only files which I have redone extensively are PlotHelpManager, InfoTooltipInclude, CityBannerManager, TopPanel, and NotificationPanel. All of the others only have more targeted modifications.
But as you may have noticed, there is only one code version for all game versions (bnw/gk/vanilla). This has made life so much easier for me, there is no turning back !

Happy holidays

Really nice job on this. I have a few suggestions:

1. Can you allow access into the diplomatic overview from the trade screen? One of my biggest gripes with Civ5 is when an AI pops up during their turn and wants to be friends or declare war on someone, and I can't remember what the diplomatic situation is. This is especially so when coming back to a save game from over a week ago. Sadly I can't play everyday and keep the specific game diplomacy fresh in my head.

You could do this in Civ4 by using the function keys. Actually you can bring up any info screen in Civ4, and while this request is centered around the diplomatic overview, having access to all the function screens would be nice.

2. You're already introduced overlays by optimizing the city hovers to actually show the boundaries of each city, and what tiles are being worked (you saved me eyes from certain doom). The BUG mod for Civ4 had a dot-mapping tool which was an easy visual way to plan for city placement. In Civ4 terms it was basically a big-fat cross (BFC) that would show the outlines of the first border expansion and show you what a city would wind up with for workable tiles. You could stamp as many of these as you wanted on the map and they would remain until removed (saved with the game).

In Civ5 terms, having an outline or overlay that was 3 hexes in every direction would be really nice, since I'm constantly counting hexes to figure out the optimal location to reach the most resources. I've had to do this multiple times since I can never remember where cities were going to go between game sessions.

3. On the leader screen and your ribbon you have cues to what the overall diplomatic standing is (i.e. friendly, guarded etc.). The leader screen clearly says it, and the borders on your ribbon I believe are the colors of the stance. Your mouseover shows the diplomatic modifiers, but not the overall stance. This isn't an issue unless you're bringing up the mouseover information by hovering over a foreign city, which is my personal preference.

4. Can you add a Civ's power rating to the leader mouseover information as well (i.e. inferior, weak, strong)? Should be the same information that prompts the numerous screens from the diplomatic adviser. There's already so much useful information there, it only makes sense to me to include this.

I just tried this again with the latest versions of both this and communitas and everything seemed to work until I tried to select a new tech and I couldn't select a new tech choice. Any ideas how to make them work. I didn't edit anything in Thal's Mod. Do I need to remove something or tag it out?
I have tried this before by itself and think that it is excellent, but I also like all the improvements Thal has made. Thanks!!

Deleted - It posted same post twice. I don't know what is going with the forum, but it is acting real crazy today.

When using the file Thal provided terrain tooltips completely dissappear for me. What could have went wrong? I used no other mods, only the full Commintas package.

Another bug happening in mod-less single-player as well (and has nothing to do with Communitas):

When I hit "Save Game" or "Options" in the main menu, nothing happens. If I then click "resume game", I'm in the options or save menu.

The bug is noncritical, however, just a bit confusing.

1. Can you allow access into the diplomatic overview from the trade screen?
I was thinking of making the civilization ribbon visible inside the trade screen. Also there are good third party mods such as "Global Relations", a light version of "Info Addict" which IMHO gives away too much information
2. introduce overlays ... to plan for city placement
Something I could do is when a settler is selected, a shadow of the 3-ring city print appears around the plot being moused over. Border growth is more organic in Civ V than it was in Civ IV...
3. the leader mouseover shows the diplomatic modifiers, but not the overall stance
Yes this needs to be added !
4. add a Civ's power rating to the leader mouseover
I have this policy of not adding information not already available somewhere else in the game. Is this already available / or can be inferred from somewhere else, if so where ?
with this and communitas I couldn't select a new tech choice. Any ideas how to make them work
Try removing the "Tech Tree" module from the EUI DLC. If Communitas makes changes to the tech tree, these will overwrite the EUI DLC's modified logic for tech selection...
When using the file Thal provided terrain tooltips completely dissappear
There is likely a coding error, please ask Thal
when I hit "Save Game" or "Options" in the main menu, nothing happens. If I then click "resume game", I'm in the options or save menu
Are you sure no other mods are active ?

Top Bottom