ALC Game #23: America/Lincoln

A minor point but you forgot to mention Banking. Of course Sisiutil should have no trouble trading for it, so it won't slow things down in this case.

Regarding making peace now, I think one thing that needs to be considered is what is going to happen after the war with Monty is finished. How is this game going to be won? Is it going to be possible to play peacefully for the rest of the game and go for a space/cultural/diplo win? Or is more warfare going to be required (either for a domination/conquest win or just to get more land to make one of the peaceful wins possible)?

If the plan is to play peacefully for the rest of the game then waiting to deal with Monty with the major tech advantage provided by rifles makes sense. But if there's going to be more wars fought later can Sisiutil afford to take his time with Monty? Any delay with Monty just delays the next war. Considering how tedious modern era wars are against Monarch level AIs, I can just imagine how frustrating a late war would be against Immortal AIs. Then again Lincoln does have a late UU and UB, so maybe this would be appropriate.

One final thought. Making peace now, right after defying an AP resolution to make peace, would be one of the :smoke: moves of all time. :lol:

Great point Validator! Making peace right after defying the AP resolution to make peace sounds like a move I would make if playing this game. And if Sis starts playing like me then the ALC series is in trouble! Keep warring Sis...

Am I missing something? can't you only convert via diplomacy to what you are? In which case, wouldn't Sis have to take 2 turns of anarchy switching to another religion and back, just to find that asking him to convert is redded out? (Most religious nuts in the game won't switch religions for anything, only spies can accomplish it.)

Yes, this eventually occurred to me as well. So much for that idea. A tactic to remember, however, the next time I'm spiritual.

Ah well...

Another thing, I think, would be, would just keep it up. Pray that the Resolution fails. And if it does, then you're in a spot to take Monty out.

If they are separated by oceans, yes. If it's just ordinary sea, the culture spreads as normal.

No.

Sorry Sisiutil to disturb the flow of your great thread with my visual means of evidence, but there is quite some misinformation going on here. :old:

Sisiutal I'm a HUGE FAN of your observation, that Crossbows don't get city garrison, so Promote archers that do. Why not use them for defence and future promote to Machineguns, then Mech Infantry.

I usually go 2/1 Crossbow/Longbow

Also have you given Consideration to your 'Riverside Ironworks" another idea I've taken on board into my gameplay.

Keep at Monty Vassalize him, save's on costs etc, -1 hit for taking a vassal, but your so far in the green it won't matter.

then assess the options from there:goodjob:

Um . . .

Is the Civilopedia mistaken?

Ah well...

Pray that the Resolution fails. And if it does, then you're in a spot to take Monty out.

AFAIK, if anyone defies the resolution it fails. All those who defied get :mad:.

Is the Civilopedia mistaken?

Nope, I use CG promos on xbows fairly often.

Yes, this eventually occurred to me as well. So much for that idea. A tactic to remember, however, the next time I'm spiritual.

Yeah, the fact that you can convert only to your religion adds some difficulty to this. I thought it was implied though. :) The only other way to make someone convert is if you manage to spread a religion to them in more cities than their original religion, but as I said before that also requires open borders.

AFAIK, if anyone defies the resolution it fails. All those who defied get :mad:..

AFAIK if enough vote with "NO" so that the resolution would not pass anyway then there will be no :mad: for the players who defy.

Nope, I use CG promos on xbows fairly often.

Although this would be a very welcome nerf of the already overpowered protective trait...

I quite like Protective. You don't need as big a standing army to defend your lands and when conquering it really helps to keep the cities you take, particularly when attempting an amphibious invasion. :)

Back on topic - how much would it hurt the war effort to whip/build/chop/whatever courthouses in most/all cities right now? The economy is tanking pretty hard right now, and if you don't do something about having no espionage points, you're going to take a lot of poisoned water, etc. as the game goes on ...

I think Sisutil was pretty much forced to defy this resolution. If Sisutil did not and peace was obtained, then the AP would start demanding cities from Sisutil to give back to Monty. Seriously this is the dumbest thing in civ ever... ESPECIALLY if you are not of the religion of the AP. The world considers me a villian? No no, a pathetically small group of irrelevant people consider me a villian, I'm fighting for justice here fools. In such games I laugh wickedly as I burn the AP to the ground regardless of the fact that once the city also hosted the Pyramids, Stonehenge and the Great Library. Ah the joys of being addicted to wanting Free Religion for your people :|.

This way however, Sisutil can continue the war against Monty and give into the AP next time assuming that they successfully vote to stop the war and Sis gets a bunch of angry faces in some cities. Better this way then Sisutil having to give up some cities :|.

I think Sisutil was pretty much forced to defy this resolution. If Sisutil did not and peace was obtained, then the AP would start demanding cities from Sisutil to give back to Monty. Seriously this is the dumbest thing in civ ever... ESPECIALLY if you are not of the religion of the AP. The world considers me a villian? No no, a pathetically small group of irrelevant people consider me a villian, I'm fighting for justice here fools.

No. This kind of thing happened all the time through out history. Its an effective check and balance.

I see that we are experiencing one of my least favorite things when going to war with the maniac next door: Your new cities and territory are marginally improved, at best.

It might not be a bad idea right now to start planning for the period of time after all of the Aztec cities are captured, and a great deal of time and resources are going to be required to make them useful.

How we best go about that, I will leave to the smart people. I assume it probably means dropping in some civilian/economic builds into the home cities during the war, since the good cities are going to need to carry the load for the Aztec cities for a couple centuries. Heck, we may even need to run serfdom for while to get that land cleaned up a little.

ESPECIALLY if you are not of the religion of the AP. The world considers me a villian? No no, a pathetically small group of irrelevant people consider me a villian, I'm fighting for justice here fools.

Heh. You only get the unhappiness in cities that contain the AP religion, and for such people, the world is where their religion holds sway. The rest are heretics. :)

What a situation.. Monty is going to keep spamming units like there's no tomorrow, which he'd keep doing whether you took peace or not. So now you can go toe to toe with him and slowly whittle away at his empire while the rest of the world causes lots of :mad: in your cities and techs ahead of you. Or you can give up the fight, cut your losses, and watch Monty rebuild his power lead and DoW again with gunpowder units. Whatever happened to quick, decisive victory?

Best bet at this point would be to over-extend a bit and take a few more core cities (what's a core city for Monty? They're all so big!), then get peace. It might be enough to take the southern shore of the continent (2 more cities, including the capital). That gives the added bonus of getting trade routes back with Zara, right? Anyway, hopefully by taking those cities from Monty it'll stunt his productivity enough that you can quickly recover, tech ahead, and build your own gunpowder forces with which to finish the job.

By the way, I'd really rather not see a peaceful victory. It'd be a waste of a late UU.. and very un-American. ;)

I think Sisutil was pretty much forced to defy this resolution. If Sisutil did not and peace was obtained, then the AP would start demanding cities from Sisutil to give back to Monty.

Last time I checked, Cities could only be transfered from voting members to full members. If Sisutil had not defied the resolution he would still be a full member and the AP resident couldn't even propose transfering cities.

By the way, if there are enough votes for the resolution so that it would pass (and I think there will be), the vote will probably come up again in a few turns. In that case it would be better to vote "yes", as 10 :mad: are pretty tough and voting yes would at least restore Sisiutil to full member status, so that his cities are protected.

Top Bottom