Announcing Civilization Network!

Hello, Mr. Meier! Hope you stick around.

But great, now I have to make a Facebook account.

Let's see here:

1st: Awesome!
2nd: Will the game cost anything? (just curious)

Will there be a twitter from Sid or the developers?

I've been thinking, this may possibly be a prelude for Civ V. If put on Faceboom, EVERYONE will have access to a Civ game. It will spread like wild fire. And Firaxis is going to PERFECT this before releasing it, because it will have the chance to either recruit more fans or deter them. People who have never heard of Civ will get invites, which will open up the Civ market. And the more customers Firaces gets mean the more the demand for a new game (not to mention $).
Civ V may already be in its testing stages, but they may not announce it until the market explodes like I'm predicting.
That's pretty much what I thought upon reading the OP.

I'd love to be a beta tester, but A) I don't really have the time, and B) I refuse to open a FaceBook account for any purpose. I don't care if the government introduces the death penalty for people who don't have one, I'll take my chances.

Whoo! Great to hear that civilization marches on!
You couldn't pay me enough to start a facebook account, but i really think this will build momentum for the series (and the genre). If you can create even a momentary buzz on facebook, it means loads of exposure. As others have mentioned, turn based strategy really fits with facebook. Of course civ will never be a hit with the stupid market, so that will cut deeply into facebooks masses, but there will certainly be many many people who will become civ fanatics like us from their experiences in this new game.

Sid - thank you for 20 years of making me think instead of just shooting everyone! Railroad tycoon may still be the greatest game ever (I still play it alot, thank you thank you thank you for making it available free on the railroads website!!).

Lord Baal said:
I refuse to open a FaceBook account for any purpose. I don't care if the government introduces the death penalty for people who don't have one, I'll take my chances.

Hahahahahaha.....

Welcome to CFC, Mr. Meier (may I call you Sid?) :hatsoff:
I look forward to playing this on Facebook. I would gladly beta test this, since I'm on FB as often as I'm on my email and CivFanatics (which is about twice a day :D)

Thanks for all the hard work put in by the Firaxis team to make Civ enjoyable :goodjob:

btw...is there a possibility of civ V coming out within the next year or so? It seems to be the hot topic here on CFC :D

Once again, welcome to CFC :hatsoff:

This post is so fake and ungenuine that it almost hurt reading it. Can't he talk to us like we're actual people, did he really have to go into marketing mode and spout ® this and ™ that.

Whatever. This isn't the direction that Civ should be headed. I could understand a separate website for this, but a Facebook app? Really? Where the hell is Civ 5?

I'm kinda with you on this one. I mean, how long has this site been around and he's just now making an appearance for marketing? Why? B/c it's the only way to market a social game on Facebook? It would be different if he was actually part of the community here and has been posting for the last 9 or so years...you know what I mean?

Edit: I don't doubt it's Sid, just wondering why now?

Eh, just my 2 cents...not that i've been here long either. :lol:

This post is so fake and ungenuine that it almost hurt reading it. Can't he talk to us like we're actual people, did he really have to go into marketing mode and spout ® this and ™ that.

Whatever. This isn't the direction that Civ should be headed. I could understand a separate website for this, but a Facebook app? Really? Where the hell is Civ 5?

Whoa! :eek: What makes you say it isn't Sid? Thunderfall can even prove it's really him! Is this how you welcome the creator of the game? Maybe Sid hasn't posted here before because he was busy developing new ideas, such as CivNet, CivRev, Civ I-IV, etc.
You ought to thank Sid, not doubt a post that claims to be by him. If it weren't by him, then Thunderfall would have acted by now.

I'm very curious as to how this will pan out. There is huge potential to be tapped into in this market, so I suspect Sid will have something up his sleeve already, especially considering how quiet Firaxis normally are in regards to what they're working on. I think an announcement now means they're already well into development and will need the beta testers very soon.

I'm not sure how they're going to handle the thousands of beta tester requests they're probably going to get. When I joined the Facebook group just now, there were already over 4000 fans.

I agree that a turn-based game should lend itself well to the environment of a social networking site. I also agree 100% that this could expose civ to a far wider audience. I know of many people who'd never own a games console (so no Civ Rev) but spend heaps of time on Facebook and its applications. If Firaxis were somehow able to slip some advertisements in for existing civ games (or possibly even a new one aka Civ5 :D), it will be win win.

I've high hopes this game will be developed to a high quality, especially if Sid is heading the creation. It would be very bad if it were to approach a path anything like what Evony (formerly known as Civony) took.

Anyway, best of luck Sid - I can't wait to see what you unleash on the masses! :)

All this is like the buildup: everything is getting more and more awesome until: Civ V comes out :D :woohoo: I predict: 2010 :thumbsup:

I predict 2011.

It'll be the 20th anniversary of CivI.

And it'll give us over a year to play before the apocalypse, which I believe may ensue when an expansion comes out, but there aren't enough copies. CivFanatics revolt, bring about fall of civilization as we know it, and start again at 4000BC.

XD That's almost as likely as the barbarians wining a game of Civ.

I will never ever participate in any facebook-activities.

Too bad, I had high hopes for Civ5 as much as everyone else around these boards...

Whoa! :eek: What makes you say it isn't Sid? Thunderfall can even prove it's really him! Is this how you welcome the creator of the game? Maybe Sid hasn't posted here before because he was busy developing new ideas, such as CivNet, CivRev, Civ I-IV, etc.
You ought to thank Sid, not doubt a post that claims to be by him. If it weren't by him, then Thunderfall would have acted by now.

I'm not saying it's not him. I'm saying he's speaking as if this were a press release rather then as if he was talking to actual people. I'm quite confident that he can make a forum post without having it triple checked by marketing. This wasn't such a post.

And it'll give us over a year to play before the apocalypse, which I believe may ensue when an expansion comes out, but there aren't enough copies. CivFanatics revolt, bring about fall of civilization as we know it, and start again at 4000BC.

Haha... Yes, all we know is that civ fanatics rule the world, The first order of business will be to set the date to 4000 bc. (and start building a worker)

@Sub & Exordus, ya, how insulted we should be that an industry heavyweight personally marketed his new project to us. Don't we all deserve a handwritten invitation on scented paper delivered by Sid to our door? Maybe a hug too?

I predict 2011.

It'll be the 20th anniversary of CivI.

Let's just hope we manage to launch our spaceship in time.

I must say i am very very sceptical ...

Civ + Facebook = Simpleton's Civ :(

Why do i say that, if civ is going to facebook then their headed for the masses, and we all know that in order to do that the game needs to be significantly toned down, to attract all those facebookers ....

I am not on facebook and will not join unless i see a real good product launched by firaxis, but i have serious doubts it will be so ...

Also if this is the prequel to civ 5 i must say i am not looking forward to it, cos it will be like "Civ for dummies".:sad:

This game is for a niche market, if they want to try it out amongst the masses on facebook they should do so without taking out the serious strategic & tactical aspect of the game ---- i doubt that will happen but i sure hope so ....

Anyways, i've still got BTS (it's a long march from monarch to diety) :)

Top Bottom