Tech industry general discussion thread

From the link you posted said:
"This assumes, of course, that Microsoft collects royalties from all Android manufacturers … and that Apple will duplicate its HTC licensing deal with Samsung and all the other smartphone companies. And those are big assumptions.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/13/in-2013-apple-and-microsoft-could-make-600-more-from-android-than-google/#7SDC7pKmGFPsP650.99"

fivechars

Yeah I mean Google's business model isn't really selling android, or selling Chromebooks, or selling anything, it is hooking everyone into their all-knowing all seeing superbrain--often with free stuff like maps and email and so on--and then making money on eyeballs. Isn't it?

Yeah I mean Google's business model isn't really selling android, or selling Chromebooks, or selling anything, it is hooking everyone into their all-knowing all seeing superbrain--often with free stuff like maps and email and so on--and then making money on eyeballs. Isn't it?

Android is free in and of itself, but when the majority of smartphones (and eventually tablets) are running on the OS owned by your company, that's undeniably a good thing. Also, Android is more 'free' than free because Google collects data from people and does all sorts of things with them- including giving people's personal information to both corporations and government's alike (for the record, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Microsoft the same thing).

Yeah that's what I said.

I agree autonomous cars and glass are two of the coolest new things Google has done. People make fun of Glass, it is weird to us now, but I think the future is going to be the smartphone screen moved to the HUD or screen or whatever on glasses/contact lenses.

I'm hugely excited about Glass! I can hardly wait!

Sent from a phone, apols for any mistakes.

My guess with google 'glass' is that they'll be somewhat like HDTVs. When they first come out only people that are either rich or burning a hole in their pockets will buy one, but in five to ten years they'll not only be more affordable, but probably be better as well.

I love the concept of Google glass and I thank them for that, but it's going to a good while before I consider buying one (minimum of three years).

I use Google Street View constantly to find out where exactly the place I am working at next is (summer job has been doing painting, washing, misc repairs and stuff for rental companies on condos, town houses and subdivisions).

And while I'm pointing out problems with Google Maps, they just (within the last couple days) disabled the ability to use any of your saved locations as destinations when getting directions if you don't enable web history for your account.
This sort of thing really grinds my gears. It has nothing to do with web history, so why tie them? Someone should take them to court for tying.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4...tphone-sales-data-samsung-apple-lg-lenovo-zte

Seems Samsung has peaked in mobile marketshare.

I find it especially weird how much better they're doing than LG, since the products and overall companies are so similar, baring a few different strengths. (Samsung with processors and storage, LG with screens.)

I have some hope for Lenovo too, they've been executing very well with PCs and they've got close ties with Intel in case of Intel ever sorting out their mobile strategy and shipping in bulk.

Also I find it crazy when people count Intel out of the mobile market, they're still making vastly more profit than any of their competitors, have some of the best executing engineering and R&D in the world, and are shipping technologies which are literally years ahead of the rest of the field.

Yeah, I've never put a whole lot of stock in small differences in benchmark scores on phones. Unless there's like a 2 fold difference, I assume that the phones are basically the same speed.

I don't even know what the Wii U is. To me it is the thing with the tablet controller thingamabob that was in that one picture on that website once.

Yeah I played on it at a friend's house and I really don't see the point in it... Also the controller is awful to use.

Top Bottom