Would it even be worth it for me to start a Normal Speed Pitboss game...

Well if you are either hosting or playing in a pittbos game, with a 20 hour (that is 24 hours in real live) timer... This means one turn every day, you would need to log on to take your turn atleast every other day I think or you will drop to far out of the game. Esspecially later on when at war.

However, the good thing of a pittbos game is you need just about 5 minutes to:
1) Start your computer
2) Start CIV
3) Log in, dowload the save and start the game
4) Do the turn
5) Exit the game to the menu
6) Exit civ
7) Shut down the machine.

Just after each action of 1, 2 and 3 you can go away and do other things. Each of these actions should take about 10 seconds = 30 seconds total
5, 6 and 7 are so short and sweet another total of 30 seconds needed.
Leaving you a total of 4 minutes to move units MM and other stuff.

So if you have 5 minutes a day, you can play in a pittbos game :)

i think he ment host a game where the timer is one week.... Some ppl might be interested. Try and check for interest? If you want to play sevral turns once a week i dont think pitboss is the best solution...

Okay, here is the idea with more detail:
I have access to the Internet once a week. Actually, now that I think about it, I really have access twice, I just never thought I'd have time on the second day.
I will NOT give away the IP address (not really my computer, the owner won't let me).
I don't mean the timer being once a week, I mean no timer (if that is possible) but if it is not, then the timer should be 24 hours. I just hope the other players don't play fast enough to pass on my turn.

So, sumarry: Definetely once a week, likely twice, Pitboss game. And, yes, it must be Pitboss, that is the only way I can think of where it would work.
Based on what namliaM said, I think I could do it, but there are more than 5000 turns in a normal speed game, and I will not play on quick because it messes me up and my research never gets anywhere.
Now what do you think? (I know, you think I'm nuts). Is it worth it? Would I ever get through it?

No it doesnt have to be Pittbos, it could be hosted thru Gamespy if you want to keep your IP private.

Pittbos is basicaly a once a day thing or dont. If ineffitably (spelling?) you get caught in a war and can only move once every week.... you will lose...
Tech is not the problem as planned moves, builds and teching is continued even if you dont log on. Except they are done as planned, i.e. you ordered your worker to road to your new city site... but spot a Barb warrion on the hill 2 tiles away. No problem if you log on, you stop him and run like hell.
If you dont log on, the worker moves like planned right next to the warrior ready to be taken.

Where do you get the idea of 5000 turns on normal speed??? Its more like 500 than 5000....

also there are ways to hide your ip... just use www.no-ip.com or something. You want to play several turns once(or twice a week) then ask for that. If you want a pitboss game where the timer is 168 hrs you can ask for that. I doubt anyone would be interested though... The first option is likely solved better playing through direct ip or even gamespy...

It is 5000 because I wanted to get rid of the topcivs screen and I edited Python and changed the number of turns between times it comes up from 50 to 5000 and it still came up in the late game. but seriously, I don't wnat to miss any turns, and the hiding the IP thing, don't you have to, oh, I don't know, tell someone your IP for them to join your IP connect game?

All I'm saying is... can you turn off the turn timer and if so, would anybody even play with one player coming in only twice a week?

We just finished a 24 hour/turn game and it took 11 months for me to win via space race... this was with an accelerated start.

So, I estimate it would take at least 7 years to finish your game, unless you play on a small enough map that a military victory is a viable option.

Top Bottom