civ4 editor

Personaly, I like to add new units in CIV III and new graphics, new buildings etc... to change every things I can in order to customize the game... I will be very sad if it will not be possible in CIV IV ... This was a specific thing for CIV you can't find in others games... I'm afraid the 3D version will stop the graphics creation ...

BTW, although I often would think that 3-D limits mod makers, I've said it before. We shouldn't underestimate the Civ community. If we set our minds to it, we can do anything.

SimCity4 is kind of like 3d (you have to make the buildings in gmax and export them) but damn have some cool looking buildings been made.

warpstorm said:
Except that I know that Firaxis used off the shelf commercial modelling tools for all of their previous 3D (and even their 2D graphics) graphics. I assume since they spent the money and have the in-house expertise with these tools they wouldn't feel a great incentive to make their own.

In addition, there is a big difference between Unreal and Civ. In Unreal, Tim Sweeney and company at Epic make quite a bit of money just licensing the engine to other game developers (for Unreal 2 it was $750,000 a title). They needed to develop these tools to make their engine attractive to other developers (and the next suite looks awesome, as it should for the price).

In the case of Firaxis, the are licensees of the Gamebryo engine by NDL. It supports the two most common (in professional game development) modelling programs out of the box. To build a modeller that they didn't need (as the off the shelf tools are much cheaper than the programming time to make an equivalent tool) would be an extravagent gesture. Not to say they wouldn't, but I'd be pleasantly surprised.

What is more likely, is that they would include a convertor from 3DSMax format to NDL's format they are using in-game. This means that most any modelling package could be used to make the units.
If memory serves me coreectly the 3D modeler that comes with UT 2004 is Maya learning edition. Considering that there is no reaso that they couldnt make a deal with a 3D program company to include a "learning edition" however there is quite a learning curve on 3D which I'm finding out right now. I spent several years learning PS and AI inside out and trying to figure out how to make my own 3D models makes my prior learning look easy in comparison. Although considering the size of the units I would think a low or minimal polygon count model is all that is needed.

BadKharma said:
Although considering the size of the units I would think a low or minimal polygon count model is all that is needed.

From all the pictures I've seen so far, I would agree with you. This means that a tool like Milkshape might be up to the task.

BTW, Maya is one of the 2 formats that Gamebryo supports easily.

Thanks guys but the game just seemed to fix itself. Mods can close this if they want

Hey, that program looks nice ... does it take a long time to learn that and is it as hard as 3D Studio Max ?

The learing curve is really steep, but once you get past that its really pretty easy. I could probably remake my avatar in less then 3 minutes, yet when I made it took around half an hour.

Oh, lol... those things I can make as well. But that is nothing compared to units and such, or movement ...

As I've said in past threads, I believe that we will see more specialization out of the mod community. Some people find the graphics hard. Some find the programming hard. I know that if I spend a lot of time writing up some AI mod code, I'm not going to waste 100's of hours learning 3D modeling. Someone of my drawing abilities will never be very good. Far better to produce really good AI stuff and contribute that. I want a mod, I bet there will be some decent units available from other modders.

(Actually, I'd probably not even develop a full-blown mod. Others are better at taking the disparate elements and combining them in a good way. If I contribute some AI and get to play a nice mod, great!)

Specialization also implies relying on people ... I've had enough bad experiences with relying on people I know from the internet for small tasks.:)

Top Bottom