Shin Sengoku Jidai for Warlords

Vaarna_Aarne

Chieftain
So here is my first creation for Civilization:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=3677

As the name suggests, this is based on Andrew_Jay's fabulous Sengoku Jidai
scenario (check it out!), and was released under his approval.

The scenario features 14 leaders struggling to conquer Japan to choose from,
all with custom leaderheads and dialogue, along with SeZereth's fantastic Nippon
models, new civilopedia, resource bonuses, Tekkounin warships, multiplayer-friendly design and the solid core by Andrew_Jay.

The scenario's difficulty is heavily based on who you are, ie: Nobunaga Oda enjoys the easiest game, while Ieyasu Tokugawa has the hardest.

OK, I will release a new version. As soon as it is ready.

Hope you enjoy it!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the scenario, post them here. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Vaarna_Aarne said:

all with custom leaderheads and dialogue, along with SeZereth's fantastic Nippon
models, new civilopedia, resource bonuses, Tekkounin warships, multiplayer-friendly design and the solid core by Andrew_Jay.

The scenario's difficulty is heavily based on who you are, ie: Nobunaga Oda enjoys the easiest game, while Ieyasu Tokugawa has the hardest.

Just tell me what you think of it, so I can think about the patch...

Hope you enjoy it!

what the hecks the use of putting this in the download area if you cant d/l it??
you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Vaarna_Aarne said:

Just tell me what you think of it, so I can think about the patch...

Hope you enjoy it!

:confused: can´t download from the link, not enough privileges ...

Well, there is some text "This file is in purgatory".

So I'll have to wait for approval from an admin. Hopefully won't take too long.

Anyhow, it'll be available, until it gets approved, from here:

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/4392507/Shin_Sengoku-Jidai.zip.html

OK, the scenario is now available for download at here too. Good going!

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Well, there is some text "This file is in purgatory".

So I'll have to wait for approval from an admin. Hopefully won't take too long.

All you need to do is post more times that way the waiting time is over, just post someplace and say that they are doing good work in someplaces is all, make it to twenty that should do it.

OK i tried it out, first off there is NO settler to build a city, only a fighting unit thats it, then the tech does not go down after each turn (remains) at the same number all the time.Thats it for now.

You can't build more cities in Shin Sengoku Jidai.

Use the map posted along the mod. In the Public Maps folder, "The Warring States." It has provinces set out as cities and the layout of forces and territories is complete. I decided that the players should have to fight for the cities to expand, not just build settlers. You can make your own map in WorldBuilder if you want something different from the one included with the release version.

I'm however thinking about re-introducing the settlers as cottage-building unit, along with more beefed up towns and villages.

As for techs... You just have to press the tech bar and choose what you want to research first. The techs are the old ones from Sengoku Jidai, but I am thinking about changing the tech board and including some new ones. Right now, my primary concern for the patch is to find a Cannon unit with Oriental style crew...

First of all congratulations! very well done :goodjob:

I didn't find any bug so far and this is something really remarkable, as so far I haven't found any scenario without some kind of bug.

My impression is that you did it, you implemented a very similar to C3C Sengoku Jidai scenario, and in my opinion, and without disregard to the one from Andrew Jay, a lot better one.

Having said that my feedback. I have played 2 games but not completely, as I was eager to test the scenario. First striking thing is to find that some of the guys have arquebusiers!!! :crazyeye: I got the feelings that this was made in order to beef up some of the historically more important players, but unfortunately take out the taste of the chronic, such solution is not a chronological correct one. This goes together with my second remark, the barbarians-daymos are really strong at the beginning, not only because of the extension they got (and I agree with that part) but because they have a very strong unit for that precise moment, as Yari Samurais, and some of them Samurais, the strongest unit of the game. I understand that this is done in purpose to make the challenge really difficult, but if you have to give arquebusiers to other players then, in my opinion, this is not the best solution.

I got the feeling that there is very small difference between the weak units and the strong units (Ashigaru and Samurais), sometime one Yari Ashigaru could stop 4 samurai cavalery, therefore my conclusion is that probably a fine tunning is necessary regarding the units strengths balance. I know is not easy, but well this is my feedback. :D

Maybe a solution is to make more marked the difference between the units in order to make the tech reasearch more likely, and use only weak units at the beginning, everybody even. At the end the job is no easy as there are many players around and no resources almost available.

The tech tree is fine for me, the only problem is that in normal speed (and I didn't try other speed so far) you finish the tree very fast, I don't like the issue to finish the tech tree a lot before the end of the scenario, 20 years after the beginnig 1575 the tree was finished and almost of the other guys made the same performance. In my opinion here is wehere you have a lot of room for improvement. The idea of Sid to make interesting decisions is not accomplished this way, as you can research whatever and anyhow the other players won't take a lot of advantage if you don't make the right decision. This the only "black spot" in the scenario.

Other item you easily can improve is the almost absence of wonders. This is going together with the tech tree issue, and there is not much to say, but I miss interesting wonders. Anyhow the wonders already implemented worked fine, and the Shogun Elections wonder is fine, however I found out that for some reason despite I won a couple of time the necessary votation I didn't achieve the diplomatic victory :confused: funny but this is still happening in the game I'm playing now.

At the end I have to say that Mr. Shimazu has the commodity to be isolated of the rest, I honestly don't know if here is a matter of historic accuracy, but maybe you can add another competitor in the island to make the race fairer. The central part is congested therefore if anybody want a good chanllenge there are a lot of choices.

Well this is it, I like it a lot anyhow and enjoyed your opera prima, excellent first blow, keep improving and try another want;)

Great to know someone liked it!

Thanks for all the info on what to improve/fix in the scenario! I'll get to work on them to the best of my ability and time. Did the terrain work? I added made only the coastline in strict adherance to the map of Japan, but the inland was more about gameplay-wise terrain (limiting movement by mountain ranges... Uesugi can't get outta the North without beating their way through the Takeda) to get those sparks flying in multiplayer over some petty pass.

UPDATES & CHANGES PLANNED:

Yeah, the unit balance and tech tree are the biggest problems I've encountered myself. The samurai unit definately needs some fixing, as it is not actually part of Andrew_Jay's rock/paper/scissors combat system. I found that out when during the final testing I (Nobunaga) attacked the Takeda, who had, well, 35% of the main island. It got a bit frustrating when a single samurai unit need me to hoard 3 arquebusiers to attack it. On the weak/strong difference, it is meant to work so that any spear unit could defeat the cavalry. I'm thinking about ditching the normal samurai altogether in favor of cavalry, make archer cavalry into scout cavalry (weakest but fastest [3/3], no combat bonuses) and make cannons and siege engines the bane of muskets. That is: Muskets will remain fairly good against everything, but can't win an siege unit (which can't win anything else...), using the idea of bombarding the firing lines as the reason.

The Ikko-Ikki will possess a unique unit to replace the Samurai Archers: The Mercenary Muskets. They will be powerful defenders, but not much good outside that. They don't require Foreign Contact.

Oda will NOT start with muskets, but Foreign Contact can be researched from the start. Foreign Contact will be even more expensive.

The resources will remain scarce, so that the control of those gem and gold mines is a big deal. And the required iron to get the bigger and badder units is always good keep fought over. Good way to spark some tensions in multiplayer. "You got some nice iron there Oda." "So?" "I'll take it before your sending samurai up my ass."

I'll gladly take ideas for techs to add, as I too think there ain't enough right now. I too thought I ran outta stuff to research too soon, but I don't think I should increase the research costs. Maybe I could add a new domestic/wonder tech for each military/civic tech already there that would allow better production of the military units... Ie: "Haha! I have yari samurai!" "Oh yeah? I got 4 ashigaru!" Just have to remember to make the production improving techs a LOT more expensive and make make a more serious difference between the strenghts of weak and strong units. Just so that those 4 ashigaru aren't a cost-efficient way of killing that yari samurai. Also, I could try making the costs of some buildings higher, so the choice between that the choice between barracks (after doubling the xp bonus) and a research building would matter.

In the next version Samurai will be revamped and part of a new type of units: Swordsmen. Swordsmen ashigaru and samurai will perform well against archers and arquebusiers and have 50% bonus when attacking cities, giving them a chance of beating arquebusiers in city attacks. They will, however, have a general -50% to defence EVERYWHERE.

Arquebusiers will be very powerful, even more powerful actually. They will have slightly less strenght, but will have a 75% bonus against every unit type except siege equipment. They will also suffer a -75% penalty to city attack.

Siege Engine will remain the same, though cheaper. It will be useless when cannons arrive at the scene. It too, how ever will possess a bonus against arquebusiers, though only large enough to give it a 60% winning chance against a full strenght arquebusier unit.

Cannons will replace Siege Engine II. Cannons will be extremely powerful bombarders, but will easily be taken down by anything stronger then basic ashigaru. A cannon will also be the only counter against arquebusier, having a nifty 500% bonus to help against them.

Samurai Scouts will replace the Samurai Archer Cavalry. They will be extremely fast and weak, won't have visibility bonus to start with and will have a significant bonus against siege equipment.

Forts will give even greater defensive bonuses.

Samurai Cavalry will be the powerhouses of assaults against initial enemy lines. Possessing the highest strenght, good speed and bonus to attack in hills and a bonus against melee and archer units, but will suffer greatly (-100%) from being on the defence and have -30% when attacking cities.

Yari (Spearmen) units will be the basic melee infantry. No specializing in anything but mounted units, they are cheap, but necessary to defeat cavalry charges, if no arquebusiers are present.

Archers will be the main defensive units. They will possess defensive bonuses for hills and cities. They will not specialize against any type of units.

All Samurai units will have double the power of their ashigaru counterparts and cost more. They all, however, will require iron or copper. A single Samurai unit will be able to defeat 2 of it's ashigaru counterparts in a row.

As for wonders, sure I'll put them as fast as I find more feudal Japanese buildings that would work well in that. I am going to add Azuchi Castle (a BIG culture bonus), but I really don't know what else there would be... need aid with this one...

I'll also check onto the Diplomatic Victory problem, whether it is in the map or in XML, and also increase requirements for conquest victory. 75% of the land is more like the requirement. Screw the population requirement! I'd also like to remove/lessen the requirements the vassals need to backstab directly. I want Honnouji to happen *EVERY* time. It would also make the Tokugawa's campaign a bit less impossible if you can just turn on the Oda when the moment is favourable. Kinda boring for me when all my enemies surrendered and became my vassals and I knew they could never betray me. But it would mean that this scenario would be almost completely multiplayer. Ah, decisions, decisions. Anyhow, if I can think up techs, get everything to work no problemo (I *NEVER* submit anything unless I am pretty sure it has no bugs. I hate bugs myself, so getting rid of them feels right both as a developer and player), manage to find wonders, and finally whip up some more balance to the map, that is, get rid of Oda muskets (if anyone knows something of programming AI behaviour in this game, please help me! I want Nobunaga to be building muskets before Nagashino!).

At best, it'll be ready next week. I don't dare to promise a deadline, but I can tell when is the earliest date to expect it so. So, I'll submit a patch, quoting every honest and good developer these days says about their games, "when it is ready."

dude I start to play I get one warrior and thats it then about 5-6 turns later i win with space race . I know the chinese are smart but dam/ just curious what could have gone wrong

Well, you have to "Play Scenario" and pick the map that comes along. You won't be building new cities. As for the Space Race, I think it's due to the fact I removed all parts and other references to it in the XML and the game thinks you've built everything.

Typical leaders and civs?! Tell me how you start and I'll check in to it. I think it would be odd to have that as a possiblity, since I removed all the standard leaders and civs from the XML...

Just report any bugs so I can get checking and working on them!

I can't get this working right either. I go in to Play a Scenario, and I don't see this scenario listed.

Why didn't you just use the map of Japan in the original mod?

Hmmmm... Maybe you'll have to put the map file in the public maps folder of the mod to a different folder.

I couldn't use the original map because I removed oil, elephants, uranium, etc. The game would crash due to differences between my and the original XML. I would have had to clean the entire map XML hex by hex of any referances to oil, uranium, railroads, old units, etc. So, frankly, I tried it but to no success.

Oh ok.

I still can't get it to work. The original Sengoku Jidai works though.

Hey there!

I got not time lately for this, but I read your comments. In my opinion you already have the C3C scenario, you don't have to break your mind discovering the "warm water", you can freshly take all the ideas over there, no copyright, hu? ;)

I don't know if you changed the version but the first version was working nicely... so?

I just like to create my own stuff, but I gladly welcome ideas. That kinda makes me feel that it's more of my own thing.

The next version comes as soon as I manage to add more techs and wonders. The new units are ready, but the rest of the changes need to be done. And like last time, I'll try to make it work smoothly before release.

Hi,

i tried the mod but I got the error
Failed to read worldbuilder file ""

When I start the game in german I do get an empty error message.

Does anyone knowns about this problem?

I copied the .rar content into the bts mod folder and selected in bts: "load this mod"

Version:
BTS (actual - 3.17)
Win: xp.german prof. 32bit

Greetings:

Makarius

Top Bottom