Quick Questions and Answers

Hello...

I want to know how to make cities so that they can work 4 tiles away?
Can it be modified in text files or is it --how is it properly said--
written in the executable?
If it's in text files (lua, xml), where is the file stored?

Thanks.

Plus stealing from AIs are a bit better since you weaken them, unless they're totally aggressive.

Yeah I've come to realise that lately since they always sue for peace after 5 turns (with the exception you stated, lol)

But may not be feasible all the time, hence why I asked.

Moved to Creation and Customization

1) Conquering AI cities. If you conquer an AI city then immediately trade it to another CIV, do you still get the warmonger penalties?

2) When you conquer a city, does your science go down? Does it matter if it has been puppetted/annexed/razed as far as science is concerned?

3) Can you pruchase anything, like a granary or archer, 1/4 or 1/2 through production at a reduced price?

4) When playing, I usually fill out tradition first then go for rationalism.
However, sometimes I may like a certain policy in Commerce/Patronage, etc.
Is it ok to pick and choose/cherry pick a few social policies?
Do you lose the benefits when you mix and match between trees?

1. Yep. Only exception is if you liberate the conquered city, using the liberate mechanic (if liberate is not an option, along with Puppet, Annex, etc. when you first take the city, you can't liberate).

2. Science doesn't go down, but tech costs do rise (5% on a standard map). Applies equally to annexed, puppeted or razed cities, except the tech cost reverts once the razing process ends.

3. No. If you have a partially built item, the rush-buy cost remains unchanged.

4. It is OK to cherry pick some policies while you wait to open Rationalism. There is no loss of benefits between trees in BNW (there were a few in vanilla). If you browse the forums, there was a thread not long ago where a vigorous debate broke out over which policies were most beneficial to cherry-pick. (My google-fu is failing me right now, or I would give you that link.)

1) Is there a way to see the resources all other civs have/need?
Currently every 5-10 turns I have to go talk with all the AIs just to see what they have I could use/trade.

Currently every 5-10 turns I have to go talk with all the AIs just to see what they have I could use/trade.

Yes, in the Diplomacy Overview screen, there is a subsection that shows you all the resources the AIs have for trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also highly recommend the Enhanced UI Mod here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512263

It's technically not a mod because you have to drop it into the correct folder yourself, not just download it via Steam. However, that means you can still get achievements.

The mod (among other things) puts a list of the other leaders permanently on the right side of the screen, and shows icons of what luxes they have for trade or what they would accept from you. I like anything that saves me from having to click and scroll any more than I need to :)

Does anyone know which "free great people" are actually free and which ones are not? I remember patronage finisher GP from CSs count towards counter, but Babylon GS at writing does not...so is there any comprehensive list of GP that count towards the counter and which ones don't, or some way of classifying?

Not getting a great prophet.

This has happened twice in the last 3 games I've had and in the two games it didn't spawn I hadn't been at war. So I'm beginning to think war makes them spawn after the required faith has been accumulated.

It's bad mechanic IMO, it means risking building & paying for shrines at the start when I may never get the payoff.

Yes, it is frustrating to build early shrines and not get to found a religion. You may have to be more aggressive, as early shrines on their own will only get you a religion about half the time. A run of three games is not so unusual if that is all the effort you are making towards founding. There is no direct correlation between being at war and founding.

I got the Reformation belief "Religious Fervor" once, but I remember it not being so great because each unit cost ~2000 faith to purchase. Is this still the case, or did they make it more reasonable in a patch?

I keep getting declared war on in Brave New Worlds, and yet, I am the one that all other Civilizations are saying is a "Warmongering Menace to the world". I never DOW on anyone! Why is this?

Is it because I am good at destroying my enemies that attack me and will take their cities, and I usually refuse their offer when they come begging for peace to a war THEY started? (I am usually back-stabbed by a previously "friendly" Civ.) Or is it because I conquer their cities?

-What causes the warmongering penalty?
-How long does it take to go away?
-Does it get applied to Civilizations I have not yet met in the game?
-How serious is razing a city?
-Is there any way to avoid the warmongering penalty when you are attacked?

Please help! And thank you guys in advance.

Yes, the warmonger hate is because you are good at destroying your enemies and taking their cities. It matters not at that they started it. Maybe not fair, but that is how it works. Quite counter-intuitively, initiating a DOW comes only with a minor warmonger penalty (and the first one is free). Being the target of a DOW is not a factor.
  • The main cause of the warmongering penalty is conquering cities. If you hover your mouse over an opponent city, it will tell you if capturing will invoke a minor or major penalty.
  • I am not sure how long it takes to go away, but it's at least 50 turns for minor warmongering offenses. You can lower your warmonger score by liberating CS and others cities. If you have eliminated a civ, you will be labeled a warmonger for the rest of the game, except that...
  • Warmonger hate does not apply to civs that have met neither you nor your opponent.
  • Razing a city does not affect your warmonger score (also counter-intuitive IMHO).
  • The only way to avoid warmonger penalty when you are attacked is to not capture cities in retaliation.
If you can, conquer only their capital. Stay at war until they offers cities for peace. Cities which are offered as part of a peace deal do not cause warmonger hate. If you don't like the peace offer, stay at war, using them to farm xp for your units. There is no warmonger penalty for staying at war or rejecting peace offers.

So I've picked Civ5 with all DLC a few days ago, and messing around. I have fairly advanced game (just have about WWI tech level, marathon, small map-inland sea-with 3 other civs and 4 CS, low difficulty...just starting), and I'm wondering about few things...

First, the damn aluminum. There are just three deposits on whole map, and none is anywhere nearby. Most accessible is probably one with mere 3 units that lies near the border of allied CS, although it's on the other side of map. Second is barely within reach of another civ's city (3 hex distance), but they're neutral, and also quite far away. Right now there is neither land nor sea connection possible to that city even if I capture it, because another civ's capital is in the way and city is inland. Third is on the other side of map, between two other civilizations with on good place around to place a city.

So I'm wondering if I can somehow help the allied CS to expand (into unclaimed lands) to grab the aluminum for me, or is there any way to replace it (like in Civ4 BTS where it was possible to gain some strategic resources via corporations), or whether attacking another civ is the only way...

I still don't know what victory I'm going for. It's a learning game, and I picked low difficulty...so now I'm way ahead in everything.

Another thing...when starting agame...is there any way, when using some of the randomly generated maps, to make it wrap around like in previous civ games? I don't like flat maps with safe corners and borders...

It says pillaging trade route gives small diplomatic penalty with the Civ that is receiving trade route. I have never seen indication of this on diplomacy screen eventhough I have pillaged tons of trade routes. So is that text correct or did they forgot to actually put that modification there?

Top Bottom