The game "has stopped working" after every one or two turns. I basically can't play.

TheHistorian

Chieftain
This happened out of nowhere. I have ~60 hours in Civ 5, and I have zero mods installed. Every turn or two, my screen goes black and I get the "Civ 5 has stopped working" screen. I really was getting into this game, but I can't stand playing one turn, saving, crashing, rebooting Civ, repeat.

I noticed that one time I crashed after landing an embarked unit.

I run Windows 8 on the DX11 mode. My drivers are up to date, DX 11 is up to date, and my PC can handle Civ.

Please help me. Thanks.

Here's the error report. I tried running it on the Windows 8 mode but I still crashed:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CivilizationV_Tablet.exe
Application Version: 1.0.3.18
Application Timestamp: 51c2f8fa
Fault Module Name: CivilizationV_Tablet.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.3.18
Fault Module Timestamp: 51c2f8fa
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 004f22a2
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: f3d5
Additional Information 4: f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3

You could try validating the game cache. To do that, go to your Steam games library, right click on Civ5, then click properties. On the window that appears click the local files tab, and then click the button that says "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache".

If that doesn't help, you could just try reinstalling the game if you haven 't already done that.

There are a couple other things we can try. Turn down your Fog of War to medium or lower (if it's on high), and also disable "GPU Texture Decode".

You could try validating the game cache. To do that, go to your Steam games library, right click on Civ5, then click properties. On the window that appears click the local files tab, and then click the button that says "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache".

If that doesn't help, you could just try reinstalling the game if you haven 't already done that.

I did verify the game cache, and nothing was missing.

As for reinstalling, wont I lose all my saves? Is there a way to reinstall it and keep my save files? Thanks.

There are a couple other things we can try. Turn down your Fog of War to medium or lower (if it's on high), and also disable "GPU Texture Decode".

I tried tinkering around with the settings but those didn't change much. I also noticed it happens when I'm at war. I can start a new game and everything will be fine, but whenever I start a large war, it crashes. I don't think it has anything to do with the graphics. I have a pretty powerful PC, so I think it's something else.

As for reinstalling, wont I lose all my saves? Is there a way to reinstall it and keep my save files? Thanks.

I think there may be a way to uninstall without losing your saves. But just to be on the safe side, before you uninstall it(if you're going to) I would go into the game files and retrieve whatever saves you want to keep, and place them in a folder somewhere safe, and then put them back once you reinstall it.

Top Bottom