But which Israel?

Which Israel would you most like to see in Civ 5?

• Ancient Israel-Under King David

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Ancient Israel-Under King Solomon

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Classical Israel-Under Judah Maccabee

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Modern Israel-Under David Ben-Gurion

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Modern Israel-Under Benjamin Netanyahu

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys but the Ottomans, the Babylonians, the Assyrians, the Persians, the Greeks and Romans don't represent the Jews--most of those treated the Jews badly in fact. There are at least 3 Muslim majority Civilizations (Arabia, Morocco, Ottoman) Why can't we have one Jewish Civilization?

According to this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=465612 no Civilization will choose Judaism by default, as this is a game about Civilization why should it ignore the Jews as a people and have no Judaism-default Civilization at all?

And guys, lets be real Palestine isn't even a UN recognized nation and it hasn't maintained sovereignty under the name Palestine as a separate state.

Is Assyria a UN recognised nation, or Inca?

I think the problem is you started with an assumption "From what I've seen many if not most Civilization five players support Israel being included in Civilization five." which doesn't seem to be true. You should maybe have put, don't want Israel as an option, or started with, If Israel was added, what period? The latter would be a bit more positive. Rather than assuming

Secondly, your timing sucks a bit, likely unintentionally. There is a world outside Civ V, and events in it are stirring up emotions at the moment, and you were guaranteed to get some sarcastic replies..UA to blow up opponents schools without declaring war etc

I wouldn't take the answers personally :)

Secondly, your timing sucks a bit, likely unintentionally. There is a world outside Civ V, and events in it are stirring up emotions at the moment, and you were guaranteed to get some sarcastic replies..UA to blow up opponents schools without declaring war etc

You didn't see Arabia getting banned after 2001 did you? Or Russia being taken out of the game because their suppression of civil rights? I can still play as the US even after their recent warmongering in the Middle East can't I? Recent political events shouldn't dictate who should be allowed in the game or not. Every nation has skeletons in their closets. One mans terrorism is another man's revolution.

You didn't see Arabia getting banned after 2001 did you? Or Russia being taken out of the game because their suppression of civil rights? I can still play as the US even after their recent warmongering in the Middle East can't I? Recent political events shouldn't dictate who should be allowed in the game or not. Every nation has skeletons in their closets. One mans terrorism is another man's revolution.

Exactly.

Reasons for choosing what

To be honest guys I'm conflicted about who to vote for...

King David is very well known, it interests me to have an ancient middle eastern king who is a zelious one would be interesting. It would be cool to play as a character who experienced so much in his life and one who "sought after GOD's own heart" although of course he wasn't without sin.

But then there's also his son, King Solomon known for having many many wives, tons of gold and being wise. Known to this day as the builder of an awesome First Temple and a grand palace.

The idea of having a classical Israel under Judah Maccabeus is also appealing to me, though not as much as King David or King Solomon. Its appealing because Classical Israel came to be by a religious and nationalistic revolt.

There's modern Israel to...image playing as Ben Gurion; the first prime minister of the newly created Israel, governing over your fellow Jews as they return to their ancient homeland.

Benjamin Netanyahu appeals to me because he would be the most modern leader in Civilization V and he would not only represent something today's Israel but also something of the modern world.

I don't disagree. all I said was the timing could be better. Nobody was discussing if Arabia should be included in 2001, or the other examples you have given. I'm not saying Israel should be banned. Just that the actual timing of the suggestion may have been wrong with events so fresh

Secondly, your timing sucks a bit, likely unintentionally.
I doubt it.

Moderator Action: Removed the last sentence. Please report trolling instead of posting about it. We will handle it from the report. Staff is watching this very closely. Please be sure to stay on topic or the thread will be closed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Israel is not banned. There are downloadable mods featuring Israel, now. And there are also Canada civ downloads. And if you're a Quebecer and that bothers you, you can create your own seceded Quebec civilization.

Israel is not banned. There are downloadable mods featuring Israel, now. And there are also Canada civ downloads. And if you're a Quebecer and that bothers you, you can create your own seceded Quebec civilization.

Canadian civ: Unique Ability: Auto lose if not spawning next to a glorious nation to protect them. UU The Mountie, Atomic era mounted unit with the strength of a cavalry. Unique Ability: Inability to declare war or make units aside from the Mountie.

ancient Israel for sure, 2 available leaders: David and Solomon.
Now, what should this state's unique unit(s) or building be?

Temple replacement UB? +4 faith, 7 city defense, +25 city HP?
Swordsman UU, the Maccabee? Free drill 1 and double movement in hills, carries over on upgrade.
UA: milk and honey, +1 food from pastures and plantations.

Temple replacement UB? +4 faith, 7 city defense, +25 city HP?
Swordsman UU, the Maccabee? Free drill 1 and double movement in hills, carries over on upgrade.
UA: milk and honey, +1 food from pastures and plantations.

Whoa! You've thought this through, impressive.

Thanks, just my quick attempt at making something thematically appropriate.

On second thought, the UA seems a bit...inconsistent. Could be amazing or terrible depending on the terrain. Maybe the UB is just 2 faith, and the UA also gives +1 faith to shrines and temples? Also, 7 defense at philosophy is way too much. 5 would be better.

For unique unites I was thinking:

Gibbor: "Mighty" in Hebrew. It refers to David's "mighty men"; his elite warriors. They would replace Spearman and have 15 as a combat strength as oppose to 11.

Maccabee: Gets a 33% fighting bonus when within Israel's territory. It would replace the Swordsmen and have 14 combat strength.

Mossad: An Israeli spy. Is 33% more effective than the normal spy.

For special buildings I thought these made sense:

Iron Dome: Replaces Military base. Gives the city the normal 12 combat strength but with +30 city health, it has the maintenance of one gold :c5gold: however.

Synagogue: Replaces shrine. Gives +3 faith with the usual maintenance.

Yeshiva: Replaces the university. Gives +2 faith and +2 science, with 2 gold in maintenance.

Kibbutz: A tile improvement that increase the yield of food by one as well as increases culture by one. Available after discovering Agriculture.

(This aren't unique ideas, they some of them come from other players. Some of these are in mods.)

For the unique ability I was thinking:

Diaspora: A settler appears at the capital whenever a city is taken.

Never Again: +33% city strength and +33% for all unites fighting in Israel's territory.

Oh Jerusalem!: Increases the capital's city strength and health by 33%, +1 culture and +2 faith in the capital as well. (The name comes from Psalm 137:5-6 "If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill. May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.")

Solomon's Riches: This would be specifically for King Solomon (I see he's favored in the poll.) Gain 1000 gold at the beginning of every new era.

Once again not all of the ideas are original.

\I'll try to summarize.

Romans came to ancient israel then pwnt them all in the war and evicted/displaced the jewish people and relocated them all across in roman territories. Where they have kept on living there until end of WW2 which uh made them decide to return to israel. And surprising part is Hebrew as a language has been dead about around the time when romans came around and punched them if I remember right and it stayed that way for roughly 1700 years?

Basically until the end of ww2 and alot of jewish people decided to unite and move back into israel to stand as one country again. And with that, Hebrew language came back.

Modern Israel is well viable enough as a Civ choice. They brought back a dead language and added new words to it which is needed for today's age. And then they beat up five countries who tried to gank Israel in a single war. And Finally, it would mean another Tank type UU named Merkava. Personally I think Merkava tank kinda looks cool like Abrams and Leopards..

And purpose of Merkava is to preserve tank's Crewmen whenever it gets knocked out of combat which uh probably would allow an very interesting UU.

Merkava: Same strength as Modern Armor but when it gets destroyed in combat, it is replaced by Tank crewmen which has equal strength as Riflemen but when it returns to a city of your own an brand new merkava will be queued until it gets finished building then get restored with exactly same promotions and name of the old Merkava which got destroyed then the tank crewmen is deleted. Sounds fun? XD

All of that is more than enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom