Barbarian kings?

GKShaman

Prince
I kind of wish Attila was a barbarian king nation. Like he starts the game with an encampment and can build more. Makes a unit every 15 turns. If I could interact with Attila and pay him to go on raids would be fun.

Barbarians need more life I feel. Make them have some loyalty/greed. If I pay 300 to have kill Nation X and Nation X pays them 400 to go after me - thatd be funny. Also they should be able ot become extinct/reformed (like add population to nearby city if converted/subdued(surrounded by three units) etc.)

What do u guys think?

How, exactly, do the Huns differ from Celts, Danes, Mongols, French or Turks, or for that matter their later itinerations as England, Sweden, Russia, Poland, Spain or Portugal in this regard? At some point these people were all existential threats on the borders of civilized societies.

edit: forgot Germany.

The huns existed as a country for as long as Attila lived from 434 to 453.

They were nomadic. There is no know hunnic city, wonder, religion, culture, food, at least thats popular.

Mongols have a country that exists today. Danes have Denmark.

That doesn't really answer the question, though.

Because they failed, they get "magic barbarian powers" no one else can access even though most went "through the same process"?

I meant take away the huns as a nation - make them a playable Barbarian kind of nation. We have playable city state - Venice. Not sure. Otherwise I just want the ability to deal with Barbarians - push them to attack my enemy, do my bidding, etc. Maybe if I can convert an encampment - the Barbarian attack other religion cities. etc.

Because they failed, they get "magic barbarian powers" no one else can access even though most went "through the same process"?

Every civilization gets "magic powers" in this game because of some aspect of their real-world history. If you're going to object to the idea of barbarians as a game concept, at least have the decency to do so genuinely, in its own thread, rather than funneling your sensibilities through that objection to shoot down this guy's idea.

The Huns are one of my favorite civs. I wouldn't want to see them revamped into some weird barbarian hybrid.

I do think it'd be nice if they added barbarian "city states" with limited diplomacy. They'd appear similar to how they did in Civ 3 as actual cities and not just encampments. They were a lot of fun in 3. It gave warmongers something to do while playing "peacefully" which would help alleviate some of the frustration with the warmonger penalty. They'd send units out to raid just like barbs do now until you ally them. Then while allied you could bribe them to focus on certain civs. It'd be fun.

Every civilization gets "magic powers" in this game because of some aspect of their real-world history. If you're going to object to the idea of barbarians as a game concept, at least have the decency to do so genuinely, in its own thread, rather than funneling your sensibilities through that objection to shoot down this guy's idea.

You are mistaken. You don't call me disingenuous. You don't tell me how to "funnel sensibility". No where did I object to "barbarians as a game concept". The fact you began your tirade with a quasi-applicable issue doesn't lend gravity to the rest of your tripe.

Those barbarian magic powers won't be far fetched though. In this game American units have +1 sight, maybe they use magical binoculars or something. Similarly Persian units have jetpacks during golden age, Ottoman janissaries turn their fallen foes to zombies & thus regenerate their strength when they kill their enemies & so on... ;)

I think it is a neat concept, but I won't limit it to Huns. There was a cIV mod which added an interesting aspect to the game. Occasionally barbarian hordes rose up with some strong militaries. If they were able to conquer some land & hold it for sufficient time they may turn into a real civilization, which starts with some military or economic bonuses to catch up with the rest of the world.

what mod is that? And YES!

Basically not all civs/nations started at the same. In addition instead of city flipping - I think we should have nations created from independence etc. Like the French City X is rebelling! You can choose to support the rebels or not etc.

The ability doesnt/shouldnt be limited to Huns - Thanks to Adjuvant and Gothic Empire for catching that.

I just want Barbarians to have hordes/seasons of invasions, loyalties that can be bought. More than just random units that come by once awhile and try to pillage my silk tile.

Also I hope people understand I dont just want another nation that can trade, deal, work land thats aggressive (that can just be Shaka, Mongols, etc.) I want a different sort of entity.

I Like the idea of "barbarian diplomacy." At the very least, allow civs to pay tribute to the barbarians not to attack.
but with that being said, it is my feeling that any civ with the word "The" could be considered a barbarian civ.

The Huns were succesful conquerors for awhile and spread all the way to Europe into Gaul way before HRE and Germany where they got killed by the tribes in that area. But anyways, when you mention barbarian kings, I was wondering about civilizations being able to manipulate barbarians against other civilizations at a cheaper cost than manipulating other civilizations against others at a higher cost.
The concept of barbarian manipulation kind of exists in one of the reformation beliefs in Piety but it is hardly used. I'm also saying that barbarians get killed so easily and are very foolish. The only way someone can interact with a barbarian on civilization is by killing them.

You're entire Idea is very good but have it so the Barbarians think independently and can ransom cities.

Some interesting ideas here. I'd like to see a real barbarian horde that could capture cities etc (not mine, obviously!), so I get the Attila example. I also think it would be quite cool if having established rule over some area they evolve into a civ - and I can see how it would be fun to play that.

As an aside, I'd also like to be able to spy on Barbs to learn how they build destroyers in an ice-tile camp :lol:

As an aside, I'd also like to be able to spy on Barbs to learn how they build destroyers in an ice-tile camp :lol:

I don't think that's possible. Your spy would be gone before he's even reached the encampment. If it's a girl, then, it might work.

You are mistaken. You don't call me disingenuous. You don't tell me how to "funnel sensibility". No where did I object to "barbarians as a game concept". The fact you began your tirade with a quasi-applicable issue doesn't lend gravity to the rest of your tripe.

Jaysus. You must be a ball at parties

Jaysus. You must be a ball at parties

In person, because I am physically imposing, when I get the chance to patiently, directly, contradict another's vocalized aggression, it looks awkward. Generally "a look" is sufficient to convince people that "this is not acceptable".

I pull alot of punches and pride myself on self control. Sometimes, when I'm angry, it's difficult for me to hide vitriol, but I don't clobber people.

In person, because I am physically imposing, when I get the chance to patiently, directly, contradict another's vocalized aggression, it looks awkward. Generally "a look" is sufficient to convince people that "this is not acceptable".

I pull alot of punches and pride myself on self control. Sometimes, when I'm angry, it's difficult for me to hide vitriol, but I don't clobber people.

..........rrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttt

Cool with the useless testosterone bud and get back on topic. No one is impressed.

Top Bottom