Rhyse too based on luck

I would say that Rhye's is exactly the opposite of "too based on luck"..... actually, if I were to raise a complaint about it, it would be that it is too formulaic..... if you do every x action by y turn, you will win a large number of the historical victories (a few of them are still practically impossible)..... but if you are going for the historical victories, you have to focus solely on those and not mess about with other stuff.

Rhye's is fantastic for countless reasons, but it is meant to be difficult and it is tweaked mercilessly to force requirements for the player to achieve if they want to attain the UHV's.

If you complete two UHV-goals succesfully, you receive a Triomph Arch in your Capital giving you a Golden Age and some other bonusses (more unit production afair?)

France has one of the easiest victories. The hardest part is getting the wonders and the culture since Paris has no production. The trick is to use one of your starting settlers to found Frankfurt or Stuttgart east of the iron - a huge production center. When it tries to flip to Germany, use the army you start with to hold them off. You can destroy Germany later, when their culture starts to enroach on Stuttgart. Build the NotreDame in Stuttgart, then settle the GA from that in Paris. Then build a theatre in Paris, and crank out GAs. Settle Quebec and Louisiana, and build the rest of the wonders in Stuttgart.

This scenario is completely NOT based on luck. You have to plan EVERYTHING out from the very beginning.

it is great to watch the old RFC hands talk about this mod....

The Rhyse and Fall historical goals are too based on luck, frustratingly so.

I tried first as India and could not get Monotheism before the computer autogot it. No realistic chance at Confucionism or Taoism either. Luck may have made it possible along with the oracle... but luck still rules that out most of the time for me.

Then I tried as Babylon. Not a chance. Try to get writing first? HOW? Luck seems the only way. It is too early to get with a prophet or the oracle.

:mad: Frustrating. :cry:

Some UHVs are harder than others. Even though I aim for the UHV's I don't try to win them but go for the more standard victories.

Playing as Babylon on the default difficulty (monarch) gives about no chance of success unless you get pottery from a hut.
Roman victory requires you to guess where the designer will put cities for you to take when they weren't there before, which is less luck than playing the game twice.

I was confused when all those undefended cities started popping up...I was building settlers as Rome. Foolish; should have focused more on the military.

I played with the romans and managed to reconquer my european cities, but falled to stability problems. When you accept peacefully the spawn of the civsw, you loose city and unit.ç dclare war

I don't like the UHV much personally. It's a smart idea, for sure, but from a practical standpoint many of the goals seem artificial or unreasonably hard.

I wish the system was revamped to make the UHVs less "epic" but more numerous. After all, from an historical standpoint, civilizations' goals in real life were not based upon an arbitrary "victory" but upon practical needs. The Dutch did not colonize the world so it could brag, necessarily, but because of the resources on other continents. Turkey did not invade Egypt just because it gave them a chip on their shoulder, but for political and economic reasons. England did not circumnavigate the globe because they'd win a prize, but as a result of exploration, etc.

I envision 6 or more UHV per civ, but 4 are needed to win, and all of them can be achieved within the bounds of a standard civ game, instead of making the civ game REVOLVE around the UHV. See?

For example, for England (fulfill any 4):

-Be the first to circumnavigate the globe
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in the Americas
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in Africa
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in Asia
-First to enter Industrial Era
-First to enter Modern Era
-Control a city of greater than XXX culture.

I don't like the UHV much personally. It's a smart idea, for sure, but from a practical standpoint many of the goals seem artificial or unreasonably hard.

I wish the system was revamped to make the UHVs less "epic" but more numerous. After all, from an historical standpoint, civilizations' goals in real life were not based upon an arbitrary "victory" but upon practical needs. The Dutch did not colonize the world so it could brag, necessarily, but because of the resources on other continents. Turkey did not invade Egypt just because it gave them a chip on their shoulder, but for political and economic reasons. England did not circumnavigate the globe because they'd win a prize, but as a result of exploration, etc.

I envision 6 or more UHV per civ, but 4 are needed to win, and all of them can be achieved within the bounds of a standard civ game, instead of making the civ game REVOLVE around the UHV. See?

For example, for England (fulfill any 4):

-Be the first to circumnavigate the globe
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in the Americas
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in Africa
-Found 5 cities of 5 or more population in Asia
-First to enter Industrial Era
-First to enter Modern Era
-Control a city of greater than XXX culture.

I think thats quite a good idea but why win a game with UHV's. Why not have 20 UHV's open to all civs and if you complete one you get a golden age or some other prize.

probably i dont know something, but imo this is the most frustating mod i have ever played...

i played grecee and everything was perfect. I had 6 cities, 2 biggest were in europe: capitol and apulen (or sth like that) located somewhere in today's hungary. About 600-700 AD i started war against arabs. Everything still was perfect until i tried to switch my civics. My all cities (expect capitol) went independent. k, i checked here on forum that there is "stability". Great idea Civilization always missed that feature. I reloaded game and started to care about my stability. I was winning easily with arabs and suddenly i got message that new civilizations rised and my 2nd biggest city (apulen) wants to join them. I clicked "no" and noticed germans' capitol 3-4 squares away from apulon. I quickly regrouped and conquered them but from that time each turn i was losing one unit "joining liberation". It was quite painfull but worse was that rusia civilization borned 3 squares from my other cities and each turn i was losing 2-3 units for those damned rusians every time when i tried to beat them... for me that was game over...

is there any way to prevent so anoying and masive "joining liberation"? its ridiculous that u cannot conquer new civilizations... k i know that grecee wasnt ever powerfull country, but you should be able to change history. If i play grecee do i have to be conquered by new small civilizations that would apear in future?

The "joining liberation" was introduced in one version because beforehand, it was way too easy to crush the new civs. See it the other way around. You play Germany and when you have awaited the autoturns and want to start to play, you see that Greece owns culturally all your land, you have nowhere to go (because your homeland is Greek) and you don't have the necessary units to liberate "Germany" from the Greeks. That would be very frustrating too.

Nevertheless, you were asking what you can do against it:

- Don't build cities there... (build where they won't flip! For the civs homelands/regions, check the Rhyes and Fall map and wiki, you'll find it over at the RFC-forum (civ4->Creation&Customization->Mods->Rhyes&Fall Subforum)). In short you can build cities in Greece (and Constantinopolis), the Balkans and maybe Lybia if you really want. Mesopotamia (with the Exception of Ninua and Babili) is going to flip to the Arabs and then afterwards (with Anatolia and certain parts of the black sea coast) to the Turks. Everything in a horizontal line from "Venice" will flip to Germany and "Russia" will flip to Russia, as you have noticed.
If your stability rating is stable, you can also without problem conquer any civilization that won't be overspawned (Egypt, Rome), as they won't rise again. Every civilization has further a homeland and a historic region. Owning land in this part of the world won't give you further stability hits, while otherwise will. For Greece: Homeland (Greece+Constantinople) and Historic Region (Everything from Egypt to Persia, not sure about the Mediterranean Coast). (England: homeland (Britain), historic region (All the British Commonwealth)).

- Don't keep much military in the region. The Flipping will stop after ten turns.

- Let the city flip and attack the new civ after 10 (or 20? rather 20) turns to reconquer your lost territory.

mfG mick

k thx a lot. But still its quite anoying. History is "hard coded" in the game... Imo better solution would be to asign spawning points dynamicly. In my game, whole eastern europe and asia (except india and japan, china has collapsed) were empty :/

Yes, but then it wouldn't be Rhyes anymore. The goal of Rhye is to a point to recreate history, it has a heavy bias towards simulation. What you are suggesting is kinda what the real game does, (with the addition of a random match).

m

its a bit off topic, but imo u should still be able to change history. Those hard coded events should have smaller influance on gameplay. Like in Europa Universalis series, where on highest dificult level its dificult to conquer whole europe playing venice, but with some luck its possible.

But you can change history. For instance, in my game as the Mayans, China and Japan both got annihilated by the Mongols and Rome was in first place by the time I met Europe. (As you can imagine, I felt a little disappointed that I'd missed all that while cowering over in Mesoamerica).

The way that history can change while still keeping certain starting conditions in play is one of the best features of this mod. (And the mod is just chockablock with great features.) My most recent game I'm playing the Japanese. It's AD 1650, and (I never thought I'd see this) Babylon is still alive and thriving over in the Mideast.

Basically, yeah, you just have to know which neighborhoods to stay out of and for how long. After you know that, you can really start grooving to the "alternate history" the game is generating while you play.

My only complaint, still, is the treachery of my soldiers when a new civilization spawned. Even units I had just produced in my capital a turn before flipped away...you would think that I could find some more loyal soldiers somewhere in my empire.

I understand its purpose, it is just highly aggravating to see half my army wiped out by a plague and the other half betray me for some upstart.

Top Bottom