Least favourite civs to play against?

zeta

Mod Addict
So, a quick question. Is there any leaders you absolutely despise? Is there any civ that makes you facepalm every time you find them in your game? If you had a choice to deactivate civs you don't want in your game, what would they be (Really Advanced Setup actually has this feature)? Why?

I usually disable India, Zulus, Iroquois and sometimes America and Aztecs using Really Advanced Setup. I can't explain how much I hate India's forward settling. Zulus are ALWAYS in my games (literally) and I learned to hate them. They are always near me and they are always the first civ to start a war with me. Iroquois is an obvious choice. To quote someone:
"They have all the qualities that most people hate - they city spam, they typically have rough terrain, they build a large army from their initial mohawk warriors, they proselytize, they backstab, etc. I have never had a happy game with them involved."

Oh that's easy: England. Her spying on me from turn 1 is annoying.

America, when they are my neighbor, their tiles purchasing is annoying, but I neVer restart because of that.

England ofcourse for obvious reasons. Napoleon because he is in like 50% of games my neighbor and pretty warmongery. India also for obvious reasons. Japan also cause his army is so tough and he likes to warmonger quite a lot. I never disable anybody or restart because of my neighbors though. One game I had Genghis, England and India as my neighbors. That was quite interesting game I have to say.

I have to say that Hiawatha has been usually a great neighbor for me if I don't let him spam cities. In my ongoing game I have purchased tiles near him several times and I setted city 5 tiles from his capital and we are still friends. And this isn't the first time I had game like this.

In my last 3 games I had Songhai as a neighbor, and each time was very painful. He just kept declaring war throughout the game, although in two games this was utterly pointless due to choke points and superior navy on my part (fractal map), and on a pangea map it was actually very stressful to survive his hordes. The worst part, though, is not that he keeps declaring wars if I can defend succesfully. The worst part is, after it gets too annoying and I utterly crush him (each time at dynamite, seems like the easiest time to take him as AI bonuses allow him to flood more units than me) the rest of the world hates me for my "warmongering". Yeah right. I never declared war once, and only eliminated him so I wouldn't have to go to war again - the result? Everyone hates me and more wars come up.

I suppose that I would feel similarly about a lot of nations, but as luck had it, Songhai was the one annoying me personally, so I really can't stand them as a neighbor anymore.

England is annoying, Washington is usually an instant restart. No point trying to play a game with Washington in it, just not worth it trying to deal with his BS.

I don't restart because of any civs - I only restart if I start alone on the continent and there's no easy way to reach another one with X civs.

I do hate all native american civs with the exception of Montezuma and Pachacuti. The rest are always annoying overexpanders who just do not care and, as such, often are my targets.

Besides that, England if you meet her soon. She is like a pitbull - once she bites her vicious teeth into you, the only way she will stop that is if you kill her. Asking will result either in regular "I do what I want" or "I am totally going to stop" which both end up in her spying on you and destroying your stuff anyway. Very fun to kill her though, if she latches on to you allowing her to survive is not an option.

Washington is usually also trouble, but he often does something stupid that annoys all his neighbours. If he enters a friendsphere of strong civs, it's bad, but it can be dealt with.

England is annoying, Washington is usually an instant restart. No point trying to play a game with Washington in it, just not worth it trying to deal with his BS.

Godforsaken eternal Anglos, eh?

I don't restart because of any civs - I only restart if I start alone on the continent and there's no easy way to reach another one with X civs.

Oh man, I myself love being spawned on a lonely, fairly big continent. All ground is yours to take and nobody is bothering you in any way.

I usually play India so I bet they would be the most obnoxious to deal with. The only way to deal with them is to kill them early. They WILL run over your religion and there's nothing you can do about it but kill them and shove inquisitors into every city after the conquest. This has to be done before their ridiculous growth passive make them into a 600 population monster.

If you let India get to late game then you are boned:
They have far more votes than anyone else due to Religious dominance.
Their cities are always huge, like 30-40% larger than everybody elses.

Godforsaken eternal Anglos, eh?

England is annoying because diplomacy just isn't an option, she is going to send her spy to your capital and she is going to denounce you, there is just nothing you can do about it and that's boring.

Washington is annoying because there just isn't any counterplay for a player to deal with his UA besides going on a rampage through his cities. Most other civs you have multiple ways of shutting them down, and if they are warmongers at least they have to DoW you. With Washington there is absolutely no alternative, if he decides to settle a crappy 1 tile city 3 tiles from your capital. he is going to buy your land and ruin your city.

I HATE HATE HAAATE THE SHOSHONE SOMETHING FIERCE. The way they eat away all the good territory right off the bat, their ruin stealing starting unit, everything about them makes me hate them as a neighbor. England's a pain in the arse because of their early spy. Watching me and stealing techs are enough, but advanced spy actions, causing me direct grief that I can't combat is enough to make me hate them forever.

Maybe it's because they've never caused me too much trouble, but I don't really have much beef with India or America. India's never been on my own continent long enough to get the ball rolling, and are generally too friendly to hate, and America's only bought my tiles a whole 3 times as I can remember (mostly because they're one of my less frequent encounters.) Speaking of America, something, something, something, the Smithsonian and Freedom oriented buffs.

England is probably the worst neighbor due to spy actions in your capital, this will ravage your early economy and science, easy to pull off as a player, easier to pull of as the AI. And there is no counterplay outside of extermination, which is not always easy.
After that shoshone are probably my least favorite ones due to their UA, and their nasty habit to forward settle near your capital or in the spots you can't cover early game, they are strong early dow contender unless you get lucky and they decide they are expanding the other way.
After that it's strong medieval warmongering civs like songai (UB+UA will allow him to grab a lot of policies and maintain a good army+tiles).

On the flip side, civs I absolutely hate having far away:
-Any religious civ, special mention to celts and ethiopia which seem to have a very easy time snowballing out of control
-Hiawatha (if he gets a good start and you can't stop him you might as well give up)
-Mongolia if he doesn't bankrupt himself.

Whichever one happens to want to buy one horse for one gpt EVERY TURN.

Carthage because of her huge gold UA from trading.

Shaka of the Zulus. They get +25% combat strength, +25% defense from ranged attacks, +1 movement and probably some thing else I've forgotten for all land units. Pretty much any normal unit with these buffs is stronger than most unique units

Shaka of the Zulus. They get +25% combat strength, +25% defense from ranged attacks, +1 movement and probably some thing else I've forgotten for all land units. Pretty much any normal unit with these buffs is stronger than most unique units

Which requires your units to have two levels. So, if I had compared a level 3 Spearman...
  • +20% Combat Strength
  • +50% Flanking Attack/+40% CS bonus against Cities
to a level 3 Zulu Spearman...
  • +25% Combat Strength
  • +25% Defense from Ranged Attacks
  • +75% Flanking Attack
  • +1 Movement
is somewhat strong, but not really considering that finishing the buffalo promotions doesn't help me unlock the ability to heal while moving/attacking, or attacking an extra time.

Top Bottom