News: TSG 137 Announcement

Dangit! I was excited to play this one, and then I decided to play a practice game with the same settings like I saw some people doing on previous threads, and now I'm bored of Iroquois/Arborea and don't really feel like playing this one...

I guess I have learned about myself that I'm not a serious enough Civ player/don't have enough patience for that approach! Maybe next time!

I decided to play a practice game with the same settings like I saw some people doing on previous threads, and now I'm bored of Iroquois/Arborea and don't really feel like playing this one...
You made me LOL so I wanted to say thanks for that! I also ignore the sound advice to play practice games with any unusual settings. It is more fun to learn along the way, and helps keep up the pretense that GotM are not competitions... Without knowing more about the particular map, like who are your neighbors (or if the coast is close), a practice game or two will not really help anyway. OTOH, I really wish I tried “Advance Start” before the recent GotM where that was featured. Too many surprises with that game!

Dangit! I was excited to play this one, and then I decided to play a practice game with the same settings like I saw some people doing on previous threads, and now I'm bored of Iroquois/Arborea and don't really feel like playing this one...

Haha this made me laugh too! I just started doing practice games a few GOTM's ago, and I don't **finish** my practice games, like, ever. I just like to play the openings to get a feel for initial build order (e.g. number of scouts, when to make an army, yay or nay on monument, etc), pace that AI is going to get religions/expansions/armies, whether there are any different policies I can play around with, how much land to expect between neighbors, and all that fun stuff. I'll usually play the first practice to T150 and the second to T100.

I like doing practices because it gives me a chance to play *more* differently than I normally would, and it gives me stuff to talk about on the announcement thread to get a little bit more out of each game. For example, GOTM136, I planned to build a warrior first because I found that it worked better in my practices than a scout. I have never done that and I never thought I would. In this GOTM, I decided I should plan to rush a shrine because in my practice games I wasn't able to get the first pick on pantheon or religion. Just little things that imho make the experience a little more fun and push me to get the most out of the work the admins put into making fun and interesting maps.

I am going to give this try. I like iroquois so long as there is plenty of forest. I like how the Long House buffs TP on forest, not just lumber mills.

I plan to settle the mountain, try an HCA, see if I can finish up before T300. Scouts until I get a barracks, and then the UU. I don’t have much experience with huge maps.

Top Bottom