Please Read: Welcome to the Civ-V GOTM

Thanks alot leif for your help I now have the gotm due to your help

Thanks, the game is going fine

Again I'm not able to find the gotm 116 or gotm 115 the website gotm.civfanatics.net is not giving any link for download pls attach a save file and the details of gotm 116 and save file of 116 only. Thanks

All the information you seek, including the download link, are located in the first post of each Announcement thread. At the bottom of those posts it says: "The Save can be found here." Click it as it is the link you seek.

If this does not work, please send me a PM explaining why it is not working for you. Thanks.

Hey leif,
I have a problem again. I downloaded the correct gotm file placed it in saves /single folder. Then ran civ 5 and loaded the .sav file of gotm but got a runtime error and the game crashed. The errors are given below. It's only the white boxes and black background the white coloured thing is typed by me

Attachments

• Gotm error.JPG
    Gotm error.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Gotm error 2.JPG
    Gotm error 2.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 195
Thank you for your hard work, letting us have easy play. I would like to request that OP clarify this bit:
Cheating includes (and is not limited to) ... Altering the XML
I made a small (and reasonably common) change to GlobalDefines.xml (city spacing) and played for a couple years without realizing that this had impacted shared games. I understand that game security and integrity is not what it was with III and IV, but is it possible for the upload validator to check for the kind of mistake I had made?

The words you quote are pretty explicit, and forbid any change to the XML files - including the change you made. How could we clarify them?

In Civ4 we have a checksum across the whole Assets directory that is verified on loading a save with locked assets. The Hof Mods will not allow locked files to be loaded if the assets have been altered. This is not the case for Civ5.

He's not asking for the rules to be clarified. He's asking for the tools to help remind him so that he doesn't overlook his inadvertent noncompliance.

@AlanH, please check in @Knowtalent (if you have not already) about GotM 143. It was a surprise to both of us that my changed GlobalDefines file effected his saved game.

It never occurred to me that I was cheating, and I certainly made no conscious choice to so. Even in hindsight, it is not clear that I myself any kind of advantage. But, of course, you want everyone playing with the same settings. It does not matter if there is an advantage. It matters if there is a difference.
He's not asking for the rules to be clarified. He's asking for the tools to help remind him so that he doesn't overlook his inadvertent noncompliance.
I am asking for both things actually.

If the save files cannot be parsed for XML changes, how about using a mod that enforced the default values? People use mods all the time for tweaking the values away from default. Can the reverse be done easily enough?

How could we clarify them?
Bullet 3 currently reads:
Altering the XML or using other mods that give you an unfair advantage.

I would suggest breaking this into two rules:
3. Using any mods that give you an unfair advantage. Some mods, notably Advanced User Interface, are permitted.
4. Modifying the original XML files in any way. This includes GlobalDefines.xml, Civ5Buildings.xml, and all files in the XML directory.

Last edited:
And I think I inicated that there are no such tools.

Yes, we want everyone to be playing with the same software. That's not hard to understand, I think.

I would suggest breaking this into two rules:
3. Using any mods that give you an unfair advantage. Some mods, notably Advanced User Interface, are permitted.
Advanced User Interface has never really been permitted, it has been tolerated. It was never our intent to allow it, but so many players were using it and we had no real way to detect its use that we really had little choice. The main reason we tolerated it was to level the field and allow those who were not using it to have access to the same information as other players so no one had an advantage. Thankfully, AUI did not modify game rules.

Actually it does, in some small ways. For instance, if a City State meets you on their turn, you can pledge immediately, which you cannot do without the mod.

@beetle, regarding your specific change with city spacing, this was the first one to have a quantifiable impact that you (and de facto we) EASILY caught. there are many games where two CSs start 3 tiles apart but they were able to move one tile further away to accommodate your setting, and only slightly change the terrain or circumstances. but that outcome could have been something like a lux/strat resources suddenly in a different ring allowing that CS to earlier or later either have or be denied access (to gold, iron, whatever) which could impact CS quests or WltdtK day, even happiness bonuses for allies. Yes, they are small but I'm guessing in the past they have impacted your games just in a less obvious way. and because we aren't super competitive those changes may not have impacted your ending turn counts. but because there are numerous variables in any game it wouldnt be easy to say which were or were not an advantage but ultimately it does mean you played a different game than others.

and i know that AlanH has answered it but yeah, such a function of the server isn't possible from our end, one that would notify you that your xml change needs to be undone. and if suddenly it were it's still unlikely to happen because the game is more than 5 years old and the new one is coming in a couple weeks. i know you didnt have ill intent behind your change but i doubt these guys are putting effort into changing stuff for it. they've been really busy trying to work out a gotm for civ6.

@Ribannah: pledging on the CS turn or yours is only separated by barb actions and cant impact the pledge. it has no actual effect on gameplay. as far as i know your 5-turn pledge bonus counter isn't started earlier because of it but i'd have to check with bc1. if it did i think he could easily change that. Since EUI only visually changes how info is displayed it isnt considered a mod, which is generally categorized as changing actual rules like how the game plays. at least that was my understanding of mods. i think that might be neither here nor there regarding how beetle changed his xml.

...and because we aren't super competitive those changes may not have impacted your ending turn counts.
And fortunately (?) I am less competitive than most! I did not feel like I was modding. I felt like I was changing a preference setting. I did not expect it to impact shared games, so I was not looking for it. I am sure I read the OP before my first GotM submission (which might have been before or after I changed the city spacing, I have no idea) but with way OP is worded, especially the “give you an unfair advantage” bit, I never would have connected the dots.

So I still would suggest splitting rule 3 into two rules:

3. Using any MODS.
4. Modifying the original XML files in any way. This includes GlobalDefines.xml, Civ5Buildings.xml, etc.

Regarding EUI I know it provides at least one information not available without it.

In strategic view in EUI you can see to whom captured worker belonged to initially (can be useful for CS influence).

However as Civ5 GOTM games never went beyond 'training series' and this information is not game breaking it's not big deal imo.

And fortunately (?) I am less competitive than most! I did not feel like I was modding. I felt like I was changing a preference setting. I did not expect it to impact shared games, so I was not looking for it. I am sure I read the OP before my first GotM submission (which might have been before or after I changed the city spacing, I have no idea) but with way OP is worded, especially the “give you an unfair advantage” bit, I never would have connected the dots.

So I still would suggest splitting rule 3 into two rules:

3. Using any MODS.
4. Modifying the original XML files in any way. This includes GlobalDefines.xml, Civ5Buildings.xml, etc.
I've split the mods and xml item so that the "unfair advantage" qualification explicitly no longer applies to xml edits. I assume that was your problem?

You gain one turn on the pledge if the City State meets you on their turn. A similar advantage of the mod occurs when a rival meets or approaches you on their turn.

I've split the mods and xml item so that the "unfair advantage" qualification explicitly no longer applies to xml edits. I assume that was your problem?
Thanks. My problem is that I think you should specifically mention GlobalDefines. Right now you have:
2. Using any sort of programs to edit the game or save files.
3. Altering any XML file in any way.
4. Using other mods that give you an unfair advantage.​

I would like to see this as:
2. Using any sort of programs to edit the game or save files.
3. Altering any XML file (including GlobalDefines) in any way.
4. Using other mods that give you an unfair advantage.​

Removing "other" in item 4 is editorial. Another editorial change I would suggest is moving 5 to after 1, since they are pretty similar.

Top Bottom