TSG 137 After Action report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG137 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?
- Did the map size affect your plans?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to see what the faster times look like. This is a science victory. Mysterious lack of research agreements even though I was a very very good boy. Does number of cities work against you?

Did you use your UU?

Sure, why not.

Not

'One tech, gunpowder

I think the AI is disadvantaged on nonstandard map sizes. It took forever anyhow.

Lack of military threat allows minimal unit building

Yes, had a good religious experience actually

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Tradition, left hand side of patronage, science until Liberty, then liberty policies for awhile, finished science, the got space buying for gold

- What techs did you prioritize ? Went for growth first, happiness wonders second, science techs third.

- Did the map size affect your plans?:
Yes, I planned to play on my new desktop mac instead of my laptop pc which would still be processing turn one.

The upload system doesn't work right for the mac saves.

Civ5 GOTM 137
Date submitted: 2016-06-15 17:03:41
Reference number: 34504
Your name: jshelr
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1917AD
Turns played: 337
Base score: 1306
Final score: 1949
Time played: 4:54:00
Submitted save: Hiawatha_0338 AD-1918.Civ5Save
Renamed file: jshelr_C513701.Civ5Save

Not gonna finish this one, already crashed twice from T100 to T130. I'd better upgrade my computer for Civ 6.

Your name: Sclb
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1380AD
Turns played: 198
Base score: 1148
Final score: 2943
Time played: 8:09:00

There is no way I am gonna sit through micromanaging everything for much longer since I'm not sure if my machine can handle it, so I just wanted to end it asap with SS culture which should be the quickest victory path.

- Did you use your UU?
Yes for conquering the poor neighbor that was surrounded by my cities.

Not very, as I clear cut almost all of the forest to speed up buildings. Only the jungles I left since it takes too long so I guess it helped a bit.

First to renaissance, spy in capital, but never got spy leveled.

Helped a bit as it helps Iroquois but it made movement difficult especially out of friendly lands. Also early barbs were a problem until mass cutting of forests due to visibility issues. I didn't know if astronomy would be required and it seems that it is. However I found all but 1 AI before astronomy so that was good. Also I have no idea of the optimal way to do SS that requires astronomy as spamming too many cities destroyed my science and it took very long time to get to renaissance. I've never built the NC for example as I'm always spamming cities and not enough gold to rush library until the very end which doesn't matter.

I can get any wonders I try, but I didn't bother with too many due to need for spamming cities. Got the key ones such as Stonehenge + Oracle.

Faith is required to found religion, and I took pearl/gem faith. Also had stonehenge + uluru. Mosque + Pagoda as I believe I needed the happiness more than the quicker faith from Monastery. As I expected the map to take longer than usual Pangaea due to possibly needing astronomy. Reformation Sacred Sites for the tourism. I also captured the neighbor who had monastery + cathedrals but too late to capitalize on it as my passive strength is already way too high for me to ever attempt to spread it without foreign prophets.

Liberty left side, Piety to reformation, cheaper faith building, finish liberty, rationalism secularism, patronage opener. Not even close to ideology.

Mining, pottery, calendar, sailing, trapping, masonry, construction, philosophy, education, astronomy

I don't like playing huge, exploration took too long. The turns time were still fine but not sure if I can handle the real AI city spam on deity on huge. I just wanted this game to be over quickly since I'm not sure I can handle late game on huge.

Your name: poxpower
Game date: 1705AD
Turns played: 251
Base score: 1142
Final score: 2284
Time played: No idea. Like. 5-6 hours.

- Did you use your UU?

Not really. I upgraded 2 warriors to them just to clear some camps / take venice. Could have been swordsmen and done the same.

Fairly useless. I guess I made faster forest improvements around my city. Hurray.

Newp. I managed to coup one city-state, and have another spy die trying. Wasn't useful, all I wanted were the cultured CS which I already had.

Really hindered. World congress wasn't founded until like.. turn 210. Starting was slow as everything was awful terrain and moving took forever.

I knew on King I could just spam wonders so I tried for great library and got it. I also didn't settle my capital on fresh water, planning to build hanging gardens to get my garden. I also made Angkor Wat because for some reason I thought it gave a free University... maybe that was Acken's mod that did that... whoops. It was crap.

Moderately. I got 6 pagodas which helped with culture. Culture was very poor on this map because I never got to World Fair and the cultured city-states were super far away. Also got to buy 1 great engineer and 1 great scientist, pretty helpful, that's like 10 turns faster win.

Just went tradition, 3 into commerce, then finished freedom. This delayed me, if I had more culture I could have finished 5-6 turns faster.

I went mining to get gems and chop forests, then writing to get Great Library, then Philosophy for a 3 city NC, then mathematics to get Hanging Gardens.
Then I went for Metal Casting, Education, Astronomy, Printing Press, Scientific Theory, Radio, Fertilizer, Industrialization, Plastics, Biology, Rocketry, Sattelites.

Yes I just turtled in my corner because like hell I was going to try and conquer that size map. The AI was super far behind and bad so probably could have been reasonably fast anyway.

Game date: 1906AD
Turns played: 326
Base score: 1139
Final score: 1752
Time played: 4:08:00

- Did you use your UU?
No - CS gave me my army basically.

Not really useful. I had good intentions of linking up forest roads, but just built roads anyway in impatience.

Diplomats helped me gave some control over the world congress after Alex went CS crazy. I had to spend 5000 gold to stop Alex winning the game on the first UN vote - he had 60 votes, and that was with Venice killing two CS!

Lots of space meant noone felt compelled to DOW me.

I can go autopilot on science at King - although Alex was a pain!

No. In opening actions I said I went for the early wonders pantheon. Doh, should have gone food/camps.

Freedom for the buy-science perk. I managed to snowball it so 7/8 civs were freedom - peaceful game helped my pc cope!

Sci

Not even going to try domination. Too many CS to buy a win, and Alex was a runaway culture, so that left Science.

Thanks for the game!

Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1830AD
Turns played: 285
Base score: 990
Final score: 1736

After some time I joined the gotm - I never played huge, so it looked very interesting. I liked that I can choose victory type too.

I decided not go to the war, and I never did. I wanted to go for science victory, but in the end, when I saw how much allied citi states I have, I changed it. That time I have spaceship under construction. But I received 56 votes without any problems.

I build only three cities. Went for full tradition, next full patronage and full rationalism, freedom, commerce opener.

AIs were very pathetic all the game, imperor would be more interesting. But it was nice game - especially satellites make me happy- when I saw my Earth completely.

Thanks sor nice game. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 137
Date submitted: 2016-06-20 22:19:41
Reference number: 34520
Your name: tanuki
Game date: 1800AD
Turns played: 270
Base score: 1217
Final score: 2253
Time played: 9:20:00

- Did you use your UU?
Not really

Not that useful

Rigging
Pretty good start with a bunch of deer

Not worried about AI

Mismanaged GS - had 5000 faith at end

Tradition - Freedom

Education - Astronomy

Yes, a lot of room to spread out, used harbors instead of roads

Attachments

• 20160620181705_1.jpg
    20160620181705_1.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 160
Your name: fishbackpack
Game date: 1620AD
Turns played: 234
Base score: 829
Final score: 1802
Time played: 5:19:00

Also went for SS, but it took So Goshdarn Long to find all of the civs. With ICS going pretty well, my science was pathetic and it was stupidly difficult to get Astronomy...

That said, I had 404fpt at the end, and my culture was terrifying. I have never played WIIIDE like this so it was a fun experience.

- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA? Less micromanaging of roads, but very very much weaker than I hoped it would be...
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? So much far away civs :(
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? I played more sloppy and I didn't care to build army or anything that would be necessary at higher difficulties, but it also slowed me down because AI did not have much cashflow.
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? Yes :) Tears of the Gods were a cute must-have pantheon. With mosques and monasteries in ~50 cities, I had 400fpt by the end.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose? Opened piety right away because the 2x shrine build and the +1fpt from shrines are necessary to get a nice religion.
- What techs did you prioritize ? Luxes, Philosophy for Temples
- Did the map size affect your plans? Yes, I planned to go super wide because I knew there would be space and a lower :)-ness cost

Game: Civ5 GOTM 137
Date submitted: 2016-06-21 06:25:35
Reference number: 34522
Your name: zxcvbob
Game date: 1979AD
Turns played: 399
Base score: 1760
Final score: 2227
Time played: 13:18:00

I originally planned to do a "timed victory". I was dominating in every category except Diplomacy and I was catching up fast there. But I decided I didn't want to click, click, click for 100 more turns, and both diplomatic victory and science victory were in my grasp -- so I went with science because it was faster than waiting for the next world leader vote.

- Did you use your UU?
Yes, but they didn't seem any better than regular swordsmen, which I don't use much. Mohawks would have been very helpful if I didn't have iron, but that wasn't a problem. I promoted a couple all the way up to infantry, but most I gave away to CS's for the 20 influence. I also gave away dozens and dozens of landsknechts.

The forests are like roads thing? That saved me a few road tiles, but even after I had the city connections (built actual roads outside my territory), my units would stop at the borders. I eventually ended up with roads everywhere like any other civ. It did help when it was time to upgrade to railroads; I only needed rails on a few tiles to get the production bonus.

Yes, mostly for CS influence. I also used one diplomat on the runaway culture civ (Darius) stay at least "exotic" to avoid ideology unhappiness.

No idea.

Yes, I had tons of gold from Tithe, and I bought an engineer, 2 scientists, and an extra prophet.

Honor opener, full Tradition, finished left side or Honor. Rationalism, Commerce, and Freedom. I settled 4 cities and captured about 4 (eventually annexed Venice, but left the rest as puppets.

Physics (for Notre Dame), Scientific Theory, Radio, Plastics, Satellites, Internet. (I know Internet is not required for science victory)

I've never played on a huge map before, so I didn't know what to expect. I'm glad I was able to steal the Great Lighthouse, it helped tremendously when I set out exploring.

I think I'm gonna "just one more turn" my game because the politics got so interesting right before it was over. I finally got to propose a resolution, and I picked world ideology -- and rammed it thru. Almost all the AI's went Order, so the world is in chaos right now. Alex is also Freedom. I think Monty was Autocracy, but Monty is no more...

Everyone declared war on Alex and denounced me (they are all afraid of me.) Now that all the space ship parts are done, I can focus on spamming missile cruisers.

I think it might be fun to start a proxy war; bribe an AI to declare war on one of my CS's, then start gifting that CS atomic bombs, tanks (if they have oil), XCOM's (can gift multiples of those at a time; don't have to wait 3 turns), destroyers, etc. :D

My second GOTM post

Your name: Xavier's Crown
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250

- Did you use your UU?
Definitely. Waited patiently until I had Mohawk Warriors then used them with CBs to take out Venice, Austria, and Assur.

The extra hammers definitely helped with production as I didn't chop any forest and was working all of them by the time I had longhouses.

Nothing to be gained. Quickly out teched everyone on King level

Was missing ruins and seemed like a slow start consequently. So many capitals on the coast made for easy pickings for my Frigates but it took me a while to navigate around some of the continents to get to them. Had multiple navies of frigates out there at the same time

Easy to grab any wonder I wanted.

Got an early faith and chose camps to take advantage of all the deer on this map

Opened tradition to get the +3 culture than finished off liberty before going back and finishing tradition. Followed that by Rationalism to help with Science

Archery for an early ToA and quick pop growth. Construction and Iron Working to get an early army out (CB's and MW). Metal Casting (longhouse for hammers) and Machinery (X-Bows). Navigation was my next priority to take the rest of the world by sea

Size slowed me down

Your name: Sclb
Game date: 1380AD
Turns played: 198
Base score: 1148
Final score: 2943
Time played: 8:09:00

There is no way I am gonna sit through micromanaging everything for much longer since I'm not sure if my machine can handle it, so I just wanted to end it asap with SS culture which should be the quickest victory path.

- Did you use your UU?
Yes for conquering the poor neighbor that was surrounded by my cities.

Not very, as I clear cut almost all of the forest to speed up buildings. Only the jungles I left since it takes too long so I guess it helped a bit.

First to renaissance, spy in capital, but never got spy leveled.

Helped a bit as it helps Iroquois but it made movement difficult especially out of friendly lands. Also early barbs were a problem until mass cutting of forests due to visibility issues. I didn't know if astronomy would be required and it seems that it is. However I found all but 1 AI before astronomy so that was good. Also I have no idea of the optimal way to do SS that requires astronomy as spamming too many cities destroyed my science and it took very long time to get to renaissance. I've never built the NC for example as I'm always spamming cities and not enough gold to rush library until the very end which doesn't matter.

I can get any wonders I try, but I didn't bother with too many due to need for spamming cities. Got the key ones such as Stonehenge + Oracle.

Faith is required to found religion, and I took pearl/gem faith. Also had stonehenge + uluru. Mosque + Pagoda as I believe I needed the happiness more than the quicker faith from Monastery. As I expected the map to take longer than usual Pangaea due to possibly needing astronomy. Reformation Sacred Sites for the tourism. I also captured the neighbor who had monastery + cathedrals but too late to capitalize on it as my passive strength is already way too high for me to ever attempt to spread it without foreign prophets.

Liberty left side, Piety to reformation, cheaper faith building, finish liberty, rationalism secularism, patronage opener. Not even close to ideology.

Mining, pottery, calendar, sailing, trapping, masonry, construction, philosophy, education, astronomy

I don't like playing huge, exploration took too long. The turns time were still fine but not sure if I can handle the real AI city spam on deity on huge. I just wanted this game to be over quickly since I'm not sure I can handle late game on huge.

1380AD culture victory?

Can we have game save please.

I'm pretty sure someone will beat me to it. The goal is to have huge number of cities and to discover all civs. Discovering civs seems to be the bottleneck here and if I replay I can cut it down at least 50 turns.

They should just ban sacred sites for these challenges, it's too easy / cheesy :/

They bracket the leaderboards for each victory type separately, so it only really "matters" for the CV leaderboard. I would not have tried it without such an obviously perfect map to try it on: the tears of the gods start, huge map settlement-cost reduction, and iroquois free roads (for easy happiness b/c of meritocracy) made it the perfect strategy. In other situations, it would not have been anywhere near as OP, though in most CV situations it is the optimal CV strategy.

Anyway, if you look back a few GOTMs, they did have one CV where SS was banned, so I think we're all picking up what you're putting down ;)

Its a valid stratagem, it yields a fast win, with a risk of having the AI taking it first.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Ah ok good, I haven't checked all games of the month.
But from my limited experiences, on Emperor and under, it's 100+ turns faster than a normal culture victory lol. So.. little broken...

Game date: 1725AD
Turns played: 255
Base score: 1187
Final score: 2327
Time played: 7:33:00

phew....that was exhausting

so so, it was confortable early, although also a bit confusing in terms of city connections.
I guess it would have been really nice if I would have gone wide (instead of 4-city-trad)

hinder, due to increased tech costs and me not wanting to go wide ;)

not exactly in that order....
Tradition, Rati, 3 right side commerce, 5 Patronage, 6 Freedom

Science techs

Well, in some way - it definitely did not made me try domination and at some point everything got so slow and exhausting that I almost planned to not finish it ;)

Top Bottom