Crash-Happy Gods and Kings

landlubber

Scottish Nationalist
I just bought Gods and Kings from MacUpdater. Supposedly, the Steam code the website gave works on both PCs and Macs. However, my game as Maria Theresa crashes rather often. The first crash came during the loading screen. I was puzzled, but I tried again. The second time, it crashed after founding my first city. I lowered the graphics settings to "medium" and tried again. This time, everything was running rather smoothly until I clicked on the city bar to look at the border expansion, and it crashed again. What's causing this, and how do I fix it? I've considered that it was MacUpdater. However, several people at CivFanatics reported being able to use the code on PC.

For the problems...er...you've been able to run Civ5 before, correct? What about your hardware?
Right. I've had the occasional crash, but nothing as reoccurring as this. I played 30 or so more turns, and I thought that the problem was perhaps resolved, but it crashed again just as Pacal offered an embassy (what does that do, by the way?)
I have a Dell XPS running Windows Vista. My graphics card is a Galaxy GeForce GT520.

Just checked: Your graphics card is below the minimum specs (unless the regular people again confirm that I'm wrong), so you should probably better set your settings to low...at least for the leaders, which seem to be taxing the system a bit.

Really? I bought this card a month ago new. That's very strange.

It's a new card, but not a powerful card.
The weaker new cards are normally weaker than the medium strong cards from the older generation.

Depending on what you had before in the computer, this might at the end have been a bad step :/.

Well, the other card was 4 years old anyway and really couldn't run much, so I'm sure it was a step up. I had hoped this new card would be more powerful, but lowering the graphics on the leader scenes seems to be working well for now.

Unfortunately, I will have to agree. It seems that even the 430 may be stronger than the 520. The GT 430 which the game was designed "with" has a G3D mark of 667. The GT 520 only has a G3D mark of 339.

Top Bottom