What difficulty do you prefer to play on?

I play Emperor - it has a nice degree of challenge without locking you in to the "Do this strategy or die" situation of Immortal and Deity, which lets you roleplay some more if you want.

I generally play on Emperor. It gives the AI civs enough advantages that they are competitive with each other, as well as with me.

However, with scenarios I tend to go with what is recommended by the creator. If no recommendation is made, then I choose a difficulty level based upon the situation of whichever civ I am playing.

If you on Steam and look at % that people have completed x difficulty, that's actually fairly representative. However there's a couple dozen on these forums that post often that are Deity. Which makes this forum feel like it's Deity but actually a lot of the lurkers are lower level. I think I'm about Emporer.

This seems like the perfect lead-in for my first ever post. I have been lurking for a while picking up tips and have won on Emporer.

Though I've been playing King the last few games with randomised leaders and maps to broaden out my playstyle a little.

And figure out how to put together a cultural victory. (Won last night at 1911AD a cultural victory with Arabia on a Pangea map.... The UA helps culture I found - since the double copies of resources from Bazaars can be used to buy open borders even if the AI is getting nervous you're close to winning. I could get 5gpt and Open Borders from most civs. The extra long trade routes helps the trade route tourism modifier too. Doubly helpful when you're stuck in the bottom corner of a pangea...)

This seems like the perfect lead-in for my first ever post. I have been lurking for a while picking up tips and have won on Emporer.

Though I've been playing King the last few games with randomised leaders and maps to broaden out my playstyle a little.

And figure out how to put together a cultural victory. (Won last night at 1911AD a cultural victory with Arabia on a Pangea map.... The UA helps culture I found - since the double copies of resources from Bazaars can be used to buy open borders even if the AI is getting nervous you're close to winning. I could get 5gpt and Open Borders from most civs. The extra long trade routes helps the trade route tourism modifier too. Doubly helpful when you're stuck in the bottom corner of a pangea...)
Welcome, my son, come out of the darkness. Lurk no more and become one of the Community. :)

Immortal when I want a peaceful CV/SV, Emperor when I'm going for Domination. I love improving my cities with buildings/wonders too much to create an army big enough to destroy everyone on Immortal.

I play Prince because it's the balanced difficulty level. I don't compete against the AI, I compete against myself for high scores/fast win times.

I have 70 hours of gameplay on Steam, playing Emperor. Haven't won a game on this level yet though.. But I won the one below that with a Diplomatic Victory, buying almost every CS and getting those votes.

I haven't lost on Immortal yet, but for a very long time I was too scared to up it to Deity. Recently I played my first Deity game as the Inca, and last night I won a tough t291 science victory.

I'm probably somewhere between Immortal/Deity level. I alternate between them, typically dropping back to immortal to try out new or creative strats, but starting Deity games more often then not for a normal game these days.

I have played immortal-level almost exclusively for a while after beating Deity to prove to myself I can do it. Now immortal is kinda easy, and I have been starting more Deity games. Just won 2nd Deity victory as Venice SV. Right now playing through a Babylonian SV and looking like it'll be a win too, haven't played a lot with them, but from what I read SV is easy with them so I didn't want to start on immortal. I have a Celts Deity game in the works right now too that's more expansionistic, religious, and war-based. I have a really nice religion that game and am winning 2 wars. Brought in lots of Pictish Faith as I neglected to upgrade them for exactly that reason! :)

Feel like a noob with all you Princes, Kings, Warlord n Immortals. ha ha

I like to play on Chieftain usually. I'm a very casual player, and took a good 6 months off until a couple weeks ago. Bought BNW this week too n it comes tomorrow. So going to have to start a new game and learn the in's/out's of Tourism and Great Works of Art stuff.

After that I'ma try to bump up to Warlord for awhile. Prince seems like it'd be my maxed out difficulty :p

I play on Warlord. It supports the way I like to play the game. Domination with tons and tons of cities.

I could play Prince and probably King and win, but not with the way I like to play, so what's the point.

Depends on map type and number of civs/CS. On huge with 22/41 I'll play Immortal but on standard or smaller I'll play Deity. Or King/Emperor for roleplaying.

Just got back into the game, in fact I bought BNW when it first came out but didn't actually play a complete game until last week... I played 2 or 3 on emperor to get a feel for the new mechanics and jumped right back into immortal. I'm still a bit out of touch with the new strategies, but the game is fun again at least. 1700 hours on civ 5, I have beaten deity many times before but not yet in bnw. And my win % on immortal is nowhere near 80% haha.

Right now I play on King, but soon will make the move to Emperor. I've been playing through all the Civs on King; have only about 5 left to play. I play the 'Small Continents Plus' map almost exclusively. It really produces wonderful maps.

Immortal. Emperor is too easy for me, and deity is also quite easy to win but the AI gets so phat bonuses and cheats its not even funny.

Immortal when I want a fun game where I can experiment with silly ideas and roll play.
Deity if I want incentive to play as good as I can and really manage every detail.

Top Bottom