Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

Hey sk0tie and Dan, if you can hear me through all these yells for help...

I had a thought (rare as they are) about the "long wait between turns on big maps" issue. Is there any chance is may have something to do with trade? Why I say this is when you get to over a 100 cities the PC must work out who can trade what with who for each city and things must get hairy. On my "Huge" I noticed that when I finished building three airports in three towns on the same turn, the time it took before giving me the option screen in that city was really long (around 3 minutes). The same happened with harbours. All other city inmprovements that were built in that turn let me select a new option to build right away without a wait.

So you guys that have the long wait, avoid building 100 airports at the same time

Anyhow, just a thought. I recon you guys probably know what's causing it already and are trying to remedy the situation.

Many thanks for attempting to right the wrongs!:D

Yeah!!!!!!!!! It finally works!

I now have complete faith (just ;) ) in infogrames! foR THOSE with whom the patch does not work (the modified exe) try deleting the movies folder!

YEHA! Im very very happy - Cheers all those that helped me out

:) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Ok, er, yeah. Well I take what I said back. I do have a bug. :cry:

I thought something was a little odd. I have just finished developing advanced flight and I still cannot rail anything...I have the steam power advance...but I cannot build rail. Oh well, what's 56 hours of ones life anyway...:crazyeyes

When you obtain steam power, you use SHIFT-R rather than just 'R' to railroad, AND you need to be wired to a coal square.

If you don't have any coal, then you've got to get your begging bowl out and ask a neighbouring civ...

If you are playing an isolationalist scenario on a continent all to yourself, then you've got a problem!

:egypt:

How do those with windows xp

"test drivers for your sound card and video card that support DirectX 8.0 and DISABLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS":crazyeyes

Help!!

I just purchased CIV III today and am eager to get to civilizing!

After installing and upgrading w/ the patch, I begin to run the game and the intro movie comes up fine and then afterwards, the screen goes to black and in a blue tinted message-box the message "SELF-DIAGNOSIS
PC DISPLAY SETTINGS
CORRECT?"

appears. I hear the music/sound affects in the background, but try as I may, nothing else will happen, I cannot even ctrl-alt-del out of it(just lost an english assignment because of this).

My cpu meets all of the req, excelling in all but my pII is only 350mhz(a lil slow) and 192RAM. All of my drivers are up to date and I have no idea of what to do. I also have my display settings in the ctrl panel set to the correct setting, so that's not it.

Video: ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2x (GT-C2U2)

Thanks 4 reading,
clay

Despite discovering the required techs, I can't build railroads. Even my automated workers don't build them. The other civs can and do, but I can't. Downloaded the 1.16 fix and uninstalled everything and reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Hey, KrazyClay
I think you got that famous monitor out of sync error, and that wierd message is your monitor telling you so. Try set your monitor to Standard "monitor 1024x768" NOT "monitor 1024x768 @ 75Hz" or "Plug and Play Monitor". To do this, right click "My computer icon" --> "Divice Manager" --> Click plus next to "monitors", them click properties --> driver --> Update driver. If you're lost from there yell, but from here its different for Win95, win98, ME.

Better yet, try locate an inf file for you specific monitor.
Have fun.

Concerning my moniter...I'm using WinXP and it is listed as a default moniter...and w/ no drivers installed. when i try to update the driver it asks for the hardwares installation disk...is that from my XP disk or computer package disc(it's a HP pavillion moniter, i got it w/ my cpu a few years ago).

also, you mentioned trying to find an inf for my moniter...how would i go about doing that?

thanks for your help!!

clay

Hi there everyone

I've been having a monitor (perhpas refresh) type problem. I've looked through some of the posts, but its 6:30am here - and ive been up all night working, so here goes:

Setup:
I have an AMD K6-2 500, with a Gigabyte GA-5AA M/b, 192MB RAM, Soundblaster 16 PCI snd crd, a Diamond Speedstar A90 AGP graphics, and a Viglen Envy 15P Monitor. I am dual booting in 98SE and 2K Pro, I have the newest drivers for everything except the monitor, for that i am using the windows default monitor.

Problem:
Ok, so in 2k Pro, i load the game, and the intro comes up fine, then then screen goes blank, but i can still here the sounds - i think the links/buttons still work, but i cant see anything! But, I boot into 98SE, and it works fine - but in general, my humble old pc runs a lot smoother in 2k, so i would be most appreciative if i could get it wotking in 2k

Thanks for any help

Cocksy

Did you install the patch? Once you've done that, you can apply the "refresh=60" switch in the Civilization.ini file (read about it in the Readme.txt).

That fixed the same problem on my 2K machine.

Brad

I have an EMonster500 running W2K.
Intel PIII - 500
64MB Ram
DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)
Vidoe Card - Voodoo3 3500 tv (Omega 1.03b) - 3dfx
Video Driver - 3dfx Version - 5.0.2195.232
Audio Driver - Crystal SoundFusion Version - 5.0.2184.1

I have tried quite a few things but the game still runs the splash screen then the monitor clicks a few times, shuts off and then back on but only sits at a blank screen, there is no raising the task manager from here.

thanks for your time

Generally all those black screen/ monitor going click, click then black or going onto standby are related to the refresh rate being to high for the monitor. If you aint got the patch, Get IT! and try Brad's suggestion.

For an inf file, go the the manufacturer of your monitor's web site.
Look for support or something along those line and look for drivers. Look out for your monitor's model number.
Most unfortunately don't give a rip or don't have a site. Good makes will have one. But setting to Standard VGA 1024x768 (not Standard VGA 1024x768 @ 75Hz) instead of Plug & play has fixed this issue on two buddies machines, (both 98 though).

Originally posted by Despiser
Look familiar folks? but it's a new game. you change the object of the game to get as far as you can. I made it all the way up to 1995 AD!

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in
module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 018f:0046046e.
Registers:
EAX=078e9fd4 CS=018f EIP=0046046e EFLGS=00210202
EBX=00000004 SS=0197 ESP=00abfa48 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=0000002f FS=0d8f
EDX=00000001 ES=0197 EDI=ffffffff GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 01 52 ff 90 80 00 00 00 50 56 57 b9 c8 b0 5e
Stack dump:
00000000 078e9fd4 0bf80032 078e9fd4 00467196 00000001 ffffffff 0000002f 00000008 00609970 005dc980 078e9fd4 004835f0 00000000 00000008 078e9fd4

Yes, I get this issue as well. I have found that I consistently reproduce this error whenever I progress to the industrial age and Nationalism is discovered. Both times I have encountered it, I progress, have the option to research Nationalism and a few others, choose one of the others and it immediately gives me Nationalism anyway and produces Despiser's message. I can't recall having this issue prior to the patch but I am not pointing the finger at it.

Decided to bite the bullet and reinstall the game. Reinstalled and the games, which were crashing on changing to the industrial era, started working. Then ran the patch file and tried one of the others and still no problems so that's all cool. Problem was probably introduced with one of the mods to the bic file I had implemented. I can live without the mod since it's the gameplay I'm after, after all. :D

I started this thread way back in October and I was shocked to see how many people have read it. I recently looked through the thread and I see there are still a few issues that I did not cover. Here is a complete guide to making sure this game works correctly on all of your systems. This includes some old, and new fixes that we have come across. Thank you for all of your support in our products! :)

Let's Begin--

First, try disabling any extra background programs. You should just have "Explorer" and "Systray" running in the background. Anything else may cause conflicts. You can do this by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and using the "End Task" button on all the extra programs one at a time. Alternatively, if you are using Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows XP, you can go to START->RUN, type in "msconfig" (without quotations), and hit "OK". This brings up the System Configuration Utility where you can put the computer into a "Selective Startup" and remove the check mark from the "Load Startup Group Items" check box. Click "OK" and the computer will ask you to restart. Go ahead and restart, and when the computer comes back up, you can tap CTRL+ALT+DEL and verify that just Explorer is running. If not, manually end task on the extra programs and then test out your game.

If that doesn't work, verify that you have the newest drivers for your video card and update as necessary. You can obtain information about your video card by going to START->RUN and typing in "dxdiag" (without the quotations). This will bring up the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Go to the display tab and you can find out the "Name" of your video card, the "Main Driver" which it uses, and the "Version" of that driver. Once you have that information, go to START->SETTINGS->CONTROL PANEL, double click the "System" Icon, go over to the "Device Manager" tab, open up the branch called "Display Adaptors", double-click on the entry for your video card listed there, and go to the "Driver" tab on the new window that comes up. Here you can see the "Date" and "Provider" of your video driver.

With all of that information, you should be able to go to your manufacturers website, and download and install the newest video drivers. If you are uncomfortable going through that process on your own, you should call the people who support your computer and have them walk you through the process of updating video drivers.

Beyond that, you should consider checking what monitor drivers your computer has installed. Go back to the "Device Manager", but this time open up the "Monitors" branch. You should just have one monitor listed here. It will probably say "Default Monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor". It is ideal to have a driver installed for your monitor which actually has the monitors proper name. For example, "Dell 1726" is listed on my computer. You can ask your hardware manufacturer if they have specific drivers for your monitor. If such a driver is not available though, you should try one of Window's standard monitor types. To do this, start by making sure you only have one monitor listed in this section of the Device Manager. If there is more than one, "Remove" the extra monitor (highlight the monitor click remove). You can usually tell which one should be removed by looking at the name. Always remove the "default" or "plug and play monitor" instead of whatever else might be there if there are two monitors listed. If there is just one monitor, we can get started.

Double-Click on the monitor listed there. Go to the "Driver" tab on the window that should pop up. Click on the "Update Driver" Button. This will give a welcome screen, click "Next". You will now be presented with an option to "Search..." or to "Display a list...". Choose to have a list displayed. On the next screen, select the option to "Show All Hardware". Now, on the left side, scroll up and select "Standard Monitor Types". On the right side you will now have several options to choose from. If you are using a laptop computer, select "Laptop Display Panel 1024x768". If you are using a desktop computer select "Super VGA 1024x768@75Hz". Then keep clicking "next" until you can eventually finish the process. When it is finished, restart the computer, and then test the game.

The above process is not known to be dangerous, but you may want to consult your hardware manufacturer before doing any system changes. It may invalidate your warranty and there are some models of hardware which are not compatible with certain settings.

Sound issues are another reason why the game may lockup during the movie. Check your sound card Playback device and make sure it is set correctly. To do this, click on the Start Menu and go to Settings, then Control Panels. Locate and double-click on Multimedia (Sounds and Audio Devices for Windows 2000/XP) and switch to the Audio tab. Under Playback Device, make sure that it says your sound card type, and not "Use Any Available Device", or "Standard Device". For example, I have a SoundBlaster 16, and the PlayBack device is set to "SB16 Wave Out [220]".

Finally, if none of the above steps help, try reducing the number of fonts in your Windows\Fonts folder to something below 256 fonts. The game uses the "Lucida Sans" font. You might consider deleting any Lucida fonts from your fonts folder and replacing it with the Lucida Sans font from the Civilization III folder.

If after trying all of these, and the game still tends to crash, or behave oddly, reinstall the game and make sure that it is installed into the default directory, and not in the root directory of the C drive. Download and install the patch we have available from http://www.ina-support.com/patches/ and hopefully that will eliminate the problem.

Good Day! :)

sk0tie
Infogrames, Inc
Tech Support, North America

Hi. I don't seem to be able to use the left right up or down Arrow keys anymore to move units arround, although I can still use the diagonals. I have downloaded the patch and It worked fine before I got the patch and for one session after. I have had to use the go to command every time I want to move no on the diagonal which is annoying. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.:confused:

Hi Skotie....i've got this

Video Card Name Cyberpro2000PCI
Manufacturer Integraphics Systems
Approx. Total Memory probably 1 Mb

I will also need the driver version numbers of the sound and video cards, which can be found in the Device Manager. (Right-click on properties of My Computer)

the driver version is 4.0

Ca n i play Civ 3 with this video card?
I can only choose 1024*768 with 256 colors or 800*600 with 16 millions.........is there a patch to play game with lower resolution?
Thanks

i have found that i can play civ3 fine on small or tiny maps. any map size standard or larger always causes the game to quickly crash with a "civ3 has generated errors and will be closed by windows" message. i've played and won on small size maps so i wonder if this is the same bug as the civil disorder menu glitch or the industrial age problem. any suggestions?

win2000 pro
intel 3 550
nvidia tnt2
256ram

It's not the same bug. I've had the crash in the industrial era on any size map. I've been running fine since I reverted back to ver 1.07f and applied the crack from the site I mentioned on another thread. What an odd concept: Go out and buy the game only to have to run a cracked copy to get it to work?!

Top Bottom