Scout or Monument?

Do you build a Scout or Monument first in your first city?

• Scout

Votes: 90 84.1%
  • Monument

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters
Monument plus tradition plus palace gives 7 culture per turn. Gives huge lead for policies<br/>
The difference in build order is 10 culture, 14 if you don't have another 2f1h tile. One culture ruin is 20c so that covers the delta. Of course if you're opening tradition the second policy gets you a free monument, so you can put those early hammers towards a granary, or shrine...

So I gave both opening Scout and going straight through Tradition a try.

Pros:
-I had a nice amount of money flowing, and never had a deficit.
-I had five cities before I'd even started building Notre Dame.
-These cities are growing nicely.

Cons:
-Everything other than my capital is POOP. My other cities may be 4's and 5's, but it takes them 40 turns just to build a Shrine.
-My Scouts are whiffing a lot. Ruins are really not very reliable.
-By the time I got my Enhancer Prophet, there were THREE Follower beliefs left. I didn't even want to look at which Reformation beliefs were left.
-I missed more than half the Wonders I went for. The +Production Policy in Liberty is very strong, I feel, and more useful early game than the +15% Production to Wonders policy in Tradition.

Bottom line - I'm going to stick to opening Tradition, opening Piety, and zooming through Liberty. The free GP finisher does NOT reset the timer, and is very useful. However, I will probably go through Tradition after Liberty instead of Piety, which is what I've been doing, because I can live with not getting To the Glory of God if I can purchase GEs with Faith in the Industrial Era no matter what. However, I think I will swap my build order and build a Scout before I build my Monument.

Cons here are all easily fixable with practice on this playstyle. I play this strat all the time (scout, worker (stop it for shrine), shrine, worker,settler, Temple of Artemis). Fill tradition, never touch Liberty/Honor/Piety. Reformation beliefs are honestly not worth the cost. Liberty is decent.

Your other cities shouldnt be building shrines at 1 pop. Usually, you build Granaries (For Growth) /Libraries (for NC). Amount of follower beliefs left is luck. You could get Celts/Maya and Ethiopia in a game and fail or get Huns/Shaka and get first religion. With only Tradition, I usually get 2nd religion, and get Tithe/Pagodas or Mosques/Religious Community/spread farther or faster. Wonders that are reliable are Temple of Artemis and Oracle early.

The archer upgrade still gets Scout Bonuses.

More precisely, an archer upgrade retains whatever scout promotions he obtained while he was a scout, along with his original Ignores Terrain Cost atribute. From the point of upgrade, the archer can only earn promotions that ranged units can earn.

Top Bottom