How to bribe AI to DOW?

Puhi

Warlord
Is there anything I can do to make it more likely for an AI to accept my bribe to attack another AI? I know warmongers are more likely to accept bribes, and an AI is more likely to accept a bribe to attack a weaker AI. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm trying to play more wide games, and it's frustrating to get double DOW'd when the AI gets mad I settle too many cities. The only way I know to prevent that is to bribe the AI to fight each other before they DOW me, but they don't always want to go along with my plans.

However by settling a city, you increase science and culture costs. I believe the cost increase stays even after you sold the city. The tech/culture increase is permanent as far as I know and it can't be decreased, it is related to the maximum number of cities you ever owned.

Sorry if you already know this, but if you keep an eye on who the region's pariah is, it doesn't take much to get a Dow on that particular AI.

In my experience, if you're just trying to keep the AI from dowing you, you can pay them to attack pretty much anyone. They don't have to necessarily be active in the war. The AI reeeeeeeeally hates being at war with more than one civ, so if you keep them technically at war, they are highly unlikely to Dow you - even if their troops are not involved in the conflict at all.

I wonder if you could use the city gifting trick to let a Deity AI develop expos for you to capture later. You get a bright green traded recently bonus and avoid the reckless expander penalty, while the AI suffers from it.

and while you're at it, deliberately settle it in the middle of nowhere and abuse the AI growth bonuses, then get it back full sized in a peace deal :D

This is interesting. Gifting a city increases the tech/policy counter, but as long as you settle another city the counter cancels out anyway.

I love the idea of forward settling then gifting the city! I will have to look for those opportunities. Not compatible with 4-city Tradition play, but might be fun!

Is there anything else I should be aware of?
You can always try denouncing if you have run out of other options. That usually gets you a few to several turns, if not putting off the DOW indefinitely. Makes no sense to me that it works at all. I would love to see the explanation from a code delver!

Top Bottom