WW2-Global

IarnGreiper said:
I guess I may still take Wick or Edinburgh extremely early with just my little paratrooper and the Luftwaffe. However the English cities require at least naval resistance if you plan a long war with endless resistance.
However since Germany can t rush units by cash taking Wick or even Edinburgh won t turn the tide of war.

IarnGreiper,

With the current game-engine its hard to stop Sealion with naval
forces since there are no option for naval interception.

However with the new costal tile (move-cost 10 for transports) AI will get at least one chance to strike at the invading force.

Since AI cheats it always knows where human transports are.

Rocoteh

Report from the Hauptquatier, January 1940 (increased aggression game)
We are proud to report that most resistance in English cities has vanished. Meanwhile the Kriegsmarine rules the sea from the gulf of Biskaya to Iceland. We decided against the invasion of Iceland since it's too remote and unproductive.
We also have control of most of Turkey but Adena and Erzurum.
Our reconnaissance spotted a huge Russian tank force capturing Tabriz. Italy has lost Tobruk to the Tommies and looks desperate on all fronts. However our spying UB told us that they are still holding out in St Johns.
Canton changed hands quickly from China to Japan, then England and Japan again.

PS It seems to me that the Soviet T26 tank can enter mountain squares :O

IarnGreiper said:
Report from the Hauptquatier, January 1940 (increased aggression game)
We are proud to report that most resistance in English cities has vanished. Meanwhile the Kriegsmarine rules the sea from the gulf of Biskaya to Iceland. We decided against the invasion of Iceland since it's too remote and unproductive.
We also have control of most of Turkey but Adena and Erzurum.
Our reconnaissance spotted a huge Russian tank force capturing Tabriz. Italy has lost Tobruk to the Tommies and looks desperate on all fronts. However our spying UB told us that they are still holding out in St Johns.
Canton changed hands quickly from China to Japan, then England and Japan again.

PS It seems to me that the Soviet T26 tank can enter mountain squares :O

IarnGreiper,

Thank you for the report.
I am considering to remove the amphibious assault capacity for German
infantry. (A German 1941 infantry would have this cap. though.)
To invade England 1939-1940 Germany would have to build a large
number of special transports and marines (very expensive).
England will also have immobile garrison units on all coast-tiles.

It seems that you now have established an excellent position for
further operations. I think you will be able to strike against Russia early.

I will check the T-26 tank.
Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

I am against the new classification of water tiles around the British islands as well as mines off the London harbour. We have here an AI problem we can´t really solve. The Brits bomb the German minefields with no real effect. It is annoying. No real combat. What about denying the bombard ability on British ships?

Adler

Report for Feb 1940
The HQ is proud to announce that the fledgeling Turks are history. We managed to reach Damascus before the Soviets, too. Our recons report heavy tank battles at Teheran between the Bolchevists and the Tommies. Italy has lost El Agheila to the British.
We conduct a lot of reonaissance in order who to strike first France or the SU. Most French divisions are tied up in Italy and the Soviets suffer horrible losses in Persia.

Adler17 said:
I am against the new classification of water tiles around the British islands as well as mines off the London harbour. We have here an AI problem we can´t really solve. The Brits bomb the German minefields with no real effect. It is annoying. No real combat. What about denying the bombard ability on British ships?

Adler

Adler,

There is a problem though:
Right now Sealion is to much of a overrun attack instead of the high-risk
operation it should be. In some way this have to be solved.

Rocoteh

IarnGreiper said:
Report for Feb 1940
The HQ is proud to announce that the fledgeling Turks are history. We managed to reach Damascus before the Soviets, too. Our recons report heavy tank battles at Teheran between the Bolchevists and the Tommies. Italy has lost El Agheila to the British.
We conduct a lot of reonaissance in order who to strike first France or the SU. Most French divisions are tied up in Italy and the Soviets suffer horrible losses in Persia.

IarnGreiper,

Probably its best to finish off France first.

Rocoteh

Too late, I just started Unternehmen Barbarrossa. The French airforce is very strong and their tanks are damn fine, too. However the Soviet planes are a mere nuicance.

IarnGreiper said:
Too late, I just started Unternehmen Barbarrossa. The French airforce is very strong and their tanks are damn fine, too. However the Soviet planes are a mere nuicance.

IarnGreiper,

I see. This will be a very interesting two-front war.

Rocoteh

German report for March 1940:
By the dawn of March, 1st 1940 we started to invade the Soviet Union. Since most of the bolchevist troops are in Persia we faced only disorganiced opposition. Our Kampfgruppen cut through them like a knive through butter. During March we secured the a territory spanning from Vilnius to Stalingrad and Grozny with our brave troops showing no signs of exhausting. The only serious Russian counterattack at Hammerfest was turned without casualities thanks to the naval support of Deutschland, Graf Spee, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.
Meanwhile the Soviets captired Afghanistan and the French lost two tiny hamlets in the Sahara.
The only alarming fact is that France conducted a full scall naval assault on Taranto endangering our Balkan positions. On the western front everything is quiet.

IarnGreiper said:
German report for March 1940:
By the dawn of March, 1st 1940 we started to invade the Soviet Union. Since most of the bolchevist troops are in Persia we faced only disorganiced opposition. Our Kampfgruppen cut through them like a knive through butter. During March we secured the a territory spanning from Vilnius to Stalingrad and Grozny with our brave troops showing no signs of exhausting. The only serious Russian counterattack at Hammerfest was turned without casualities thanks to the naval support of Deutschland, Graf Spee, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.
Meanwhile the Soviets captired Afghanistan and the French lost two tiny hamlets in the Sahara.
The only alarming fact is that France conducted a full scall naval assault on Taranto endangering our Balkan positions. On the western front everything is quiet.

IarnGreiper,

Vilnius - Stalingrad - Grozny. That is incredible!

This will really be interesting to follow.

Welcome back with more reports.

Rocoteh

German front report early april 1940 [increased aggression game]
We are slowly approaching Moskow via Tula, secured Smolensk and Kuybaychev, too, to secure our flanks.
We suffered some lossed to the British in Syria. The British have conquered Tabriz, Bisciara and Asmara. Japan has established a fronline between Chengdu and Nanning. Italy had given up in retaking Taranto, St Johns is lost to the Yankies. The Kriegsmarine is temprorarily unable to control the atlantic west of Ireland.

German front report: late April, 1940
The Wolfschanze Hauptquier for the eastern front is proud to annouce that both Leningrad and Moskow fell to our joint forces.
Meanwhile we negociated a demilitarized zone in Syria under Spanish supervising, in effect we gave our mandate over Syria in Spanish hands. If the Allies fail to this trick this should ease the pressure on our southern front a bit.
Urgent Radio broadcast: French forces have successfully captured Scicily from the Italians. The Hauptquatier of the Wehrmacht is in full control of the situation and will react accordingly.

Bob1475 said:
IarnGrieper - Interesting move giving your Syrian cities to the Spanish. I suspect Spain will grant ROP to allies.
I doubt that and for the last turns I have not been contradicted yet. Spain has only France to fear and is the most pro axis neutral power in game left.

edit: After 3 weeks the Spanish have given in and gave GB a ROP pact. You were right. However, I still have the advantage of a wider field to bomb the British forces advancing towards me.

edit 2: Someone razed Bangkok :(

German front report, Midsummer 1940
As we see the longest days in Sibiria our troops are enjoying themselves in Midsummer festivals at Novosibirsk and Lepsinsk. The Hauptquatier decided that thoses cities will mark the easternmost frontier of the Reich.
The Brits displayed a huge force near Khiva, so we decided to destroy to await them with our bomber forces based at Aralsk. This tactic turned out to be pretty efficient.
In Syria the Tommies remained pretty calm besides their ROP treaty with out Spanish decoys. While their Matildas are are force to be careful of, some generals share the opinion to crush British India before the Japanese arrive. As far as we know the Japs have taken Lhasa as a formidable defensive position. However they seem to lack the troops to defeat Matildas. At least they have not taken any British town but Hong Kong.
The French are displaying a considerable ground force as well as a fine airforce and a large Navy. Hoever we are just introducing our new superior fight FW 190 which should grant us true are supremancy. We also build Bismark C class battleships in our Baltic habors. Our UB fleet is nice but we lack battleships right now. Without our resources in the Scandinavian countries as well as former southern Russia we would struggle to meet the French numbers.
The Brits remain are Navy of considerable size and they display the best tanks with their Matilda II. However they lack a functioning airforce at all theatres.
The Soviets still have a considerable tank and infantry force. However they totally lack any other kinds of weapons.
The Americans seem to be the kings of destroyers and destroyer flotillas. However the fools don t know that they are unable to use that force against us effectively, especially if we display more Bismark class super battleships.
The Spanish still master the art of being obedient to all parties.
The Italians *sigh*, our generals are already taking bets on which city will fall last, bets are high on Gimbi, Tripolis, Sardinia, Creta and Cyprus. However we somewhat fear the Jugernaut of the French should the Italians cease to resist.

IarnGreiper,

Thank you for the reports.

"We are slowly approaching Moskow via Tula, secured Smolensk and Kuybaychev, too, to secure our flanks." IarnGreiper

I think this is a record with regard to a early Barbarossa.

"The Wolfschanze Hauptquier for the eastern front is proud to annouce that both Leningrad and Moskow fell to our joint forces." IarnGreiper

Probably there will be a very early Soviet collapse!

"Meanwhile we negociated a demilitarized zone in Syria under Spanish supervising, in effect we gave our mandate over Syria in Spanish hands. If the Allies fail to this trick this should ease the pressure on our southern front a bit" IarnGreiper

Interesting move!

"As we see the longest days in Sibiria our troops are enjoying themselves in Midsummer festivals at Novosibirsk and Lepsinsk. The Hauptquatier decided that thoses cities will mark the easternmost frontier of the Reich." IarnGreiper

I doubt Russia-AI will be able to counterstrike.

"The Brits remain are Navy of considerable size and they display the best tanks with their Matilda II. However they lack a functioning airforce at all theatres." IarnGreiper

I will look over this with regard to version 2.1.

This is a very interesting playtest.
Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

"The Brits remain are Navy of considerable size and they display the best tanks with their Matilda II. However they lack a functioning airforce at all theatres." IarnGreiper

Perhaps each British zone could have a significant self standing airforce representative of the airforce of the day for that Commonwealth country.
Example - Canada/Australia and Rhodesia all contributed large numbers of aircrew to Britain and managed to still build airforces of their own for deployment in home theatres and other theatres. May I suggest the relevant 1939 bombers and fighters located enmasse in Britain, Canada, Australia, Southern Africa and India with a weighting by numbers 4:2:2:2:1

WW2-Global and Sealion:

September 1939 Britain had 1 armoured division, 12 infantry divisions
and 1 cavalry division to defend the British islands.

July 1940 this force had expanded to 2 armoured divisions, 4 tank brigades,
27 infantry divisions (1 from Canada, 1 from New Zealand) and
6 infantry brigades. Huge amounts of artillery and anti-tank weapons had been lost at Dunkirk. (More than 2 000 guns of different types)
Thus the infantry divisions were short on heavy weapons.
The British armoured forces had 350 "real tanks".
That is tanks with guns. There were also about 500 light tanks armed
with machine-guns.

The German invasion force should have consised of: 6 Panzer divisions,
2 motorized infantry divisions, 29 infantry divisions and 2 airborne divisions.
There were also the SS Totenkopf division and SS Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler
regiment. Both were motorized infantry formations in the summer of 1940.

In 2 posts later today I will show why I it will be easier to simulate
this operation in a relevant way on the new huge map compared
to the old one.

If Sealion had took place in reality it would have been a high-risk
operation. (The German Army Chief of Staff Halder called it suicidal.)
This is not reflected in version 2.0 but much better hopefully in 2.1

Rocoteh

Hornblower said:

Perhaps each British zone could have a significant self standing airforce representative of the airforce of the day for that Commonwealth country.
Example - Canada/Australia and Rhodesia all contributed large numbers of aircrew to Britain and managed to still build airforces of their own for deployment in home theatres and other theatres. May I suggest the relevant 1939 bombers and fighters located enmasse in Britain, Canada, Australia, Southern Africa and India with a weighting by numbers 4:2:2:2:1

Hornblower,

Yes, I think it sounds like a good idea that is worth to try.
Maybe some 70% of the fighters should be in Britain.

Rocoteh

Top Bottom