Dynamic Civilization Naming - Submit Names Here!

Kweeky

Little Boat
After M'Hael suggested dynamic civilization name changes in http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=235524, I decided it could be a constructive idea to put together a thread with six different civilization names for all the civilizations. Post, and I'll copy and paste it into this starting topic :)

Here's my thoughts for Britain:

"English Empire"

Ancient: (Pre-Birth)
Classical: (Pre-Birth) (Would be Romano British however ;))
Medieval: England (Scotland wasn't united with England for the majority of the medieval era, so England is appropiate I feel)
Renaissance: British Empire
Industrial: British Empire
Modern: United Kingdom

Another submission by me (doing the easy ones :p)

"American Empire"

Classical: (Pre-Birth)
Medieval: (Pre-Birth)
Renaissance: United States of America
Industrial: United States of America
Modern: United States of America

May be worth doing (in brackets) any historical naming which would require a civic for the name to make sense:

For example, with Russia, Russia existed as Russia, the U.S.S.R. and Russia again in the "modern" era. So within the modern era, Russia can be Russia with the Monachy civic and Russia becomes USSR with the State-Property civic and Russia can become Russian Federation with (I want to say free speech, but considering the political climate between the UK and Russia right now, I may just have to go for "universal suffrage" instead :p) Universal Suffrage for example. ;)

"Babylonian Empire"

Ancient: Sumeria
Classical: Babylonia
Medieval: Iraq
Renaissance: Iraq
Industrial: Iraq
Modern: Iraq

"Persian Empire"

Classical: Persia
Medieval: Timurids
Renaissance: Persia
Industrial: Persia
Modern: Iran

"Chinese Empire"

Ancient: Xia
Classical: Shang
Medieval: Tang
Renaissance: Ming
Industrial: Qing
Modern: PRC

"Viking Empire"

Ancient: -
Classical: -
Medieval: Vikings
Renaissance: Scandinavia
Industrial: Scandinavia
Modern: Scandinavia

(Should kill that debate?)

"Aztec Empire"

Ancient: Teotihuacan
Classical: Toltecs
Medieval: Aztecs
Renaissance: New Spain
Industrial: Mexico
Modern: Mexico

"Mayan Empire"
Ancient: Olmecs
Classical: Maya
Medieval: Maya
Renaissance: Guatemala
Industrial: Guatemala
Modern: Guatemala

For China's Clasical Age I'd propose the following three ones instead of the Shang: Zhou, Qin or Han (these periods were more significant to the formation of Chinese civilisation as we know it today).

"Carthaginian Empire":
Ancient: Maybe Phoenician Empire?
Classical: Carthaginian Empire
Medieval: Moorish Empire/Sultanate/Caliphate (as there were many dynasties, so a more generic term should be appropriate)
Renaissance: Moorish States
Industrial: Maghreb
Modern: Maghreb

"Incan Empire" (this means they should spawn way earlier):
Ancient: Chavín (or some earlier civ- Andean civilisation predates Mesoamerica's)
Classical: Tiwanaku
Medieval: Incan Empire /Tahuantisuyo
Renaissance: ???
Industrial: Peru
Modern: Peru

"French Empire"
Ancient: (Pre-Spawn)
Classical: (Pre-Spawn)
Medieval: (Western) Franks / France
Renaissance: France
Industrial: France (maybe French Empire- Napoléon)
Modern: France

"German Empire"
Ancient: (Pre-Spawn)
Classical: (Pre-Spawn)
Medieval: (Eastern) Franks... or Holy Roman Empire
Renaissance: HRE/German States
Industrial: German Federation/ German Empire
Modern: (whatever) Republic of Germany

"Indian Empire"
Ancient: Harappans
Classical: Vedic/Magadha/Maurya
Medieval: Chola/Sultanate of Delhi
Renaissance: Vijayanagar/Mughal Empire
Industrial: Marathas
Modern: India

Not that this is ever going to happen (nice idea though it may be) Iraq shouldn't be Iraq until the Modern era or Industrial at the earliest. It should be Persia surely, which causes some issues I would think? :p

I cant mind what thread it was in but there was one where Rhye (might have been Vish or someone else though) said it was impossible to do this dynamic name changing idea thingamy.

Yes, there are troubles, but there is somewhere a mod that is trying to do this. Then again, it is possible to tie the names (but not colours or flags, etc. ... afaik) to civics. So, emancipation is one that the modern civs all receive... Or maybe you could add a sixth invisible civics column that you automatically change to (via a event that gets triggered when entering a new era...).

Either way, it is probably lots of work to do, but it's possible,.

The mesopotamian region was called al-Iraq during the rule of the Arabs and Turks, so Iraq seems appropriate. Other possible names would be Abbasids or Kara Konyunlu.

Also, Carthage during Renaissance could be called Barbary, since that was the collective term used by the Europeans to describe the Moorish/Berber states.

Thanks for the submissions guys!

I feel that dynamic names fits in perfectly with the very concept of "Rhye's and Fall" Civilizations may fall as one civilization/ideal and rise again but as a different concept.

As Mitso suggested, we could tie it into an invisible civic that all civilizations gain when entering a new era (or after X number of turns).

If the player can change their name midgame, the AI should be able too as well - at least, that's the theory anyway ;)

If this will ever be in, it should be tied to civics + event.

For example, as Ottoman empire, if you adopt republic/universal suffrage and dont have theocracy you get event 'Ottoman Heritage abandoned - Republic of Turkey Proclaimed'. To add a bit of gameplay value, this event should also increase happiness and add science but reduce state religion happiness or temple happiness.

Adopting State Property (and also Police State?) as Russia - 'Soviet Union Proclaimed'. In addition to name change, event could add some extra industry, or happiness, or troops...

Slavery with USA - Confederate States of America (Adds unhappiness in northern cities and reduces in south?)

Emancipation with Persia - Iran

England if you control Scotland, Wales and Ireland and have hereditary rule - United Kingdom

Chinese Empire:

Modern: Peoples Republic China (State Property)
Republic China (Free Market)
Maybe for all Civs the modern name should have a peoples republic (state peoperty) and a republic form (free market).

Incan:
Renaissance : Grand Colombia (not exactly the same but maybe?)

France and Germany
Medieval : East and West Francia is one should want to refere to the Frankish times.

Rome:

Ancient: Roman Kingdom
Classical: Roman Republic
Medieval: Roman Empire
Renaissance: ????
Industrial: Kingdom of Italy
Modern: Republic of Italy

Greece:

Ancient: Hellas
Classical: Macedonian Empire (?)
Medieval: ??? Byzantine Empire maybe
Renaissance: ????
Industrial: Kingdom of Greece
Modern: Greece

Egypt:
Ancient: the two lands
Classical: Aegyptus
Medieval: Mamluk Empire
Renaissance: Sultanate Egypt
Industrial: Egypte
Modern: Republic of Egypt

Dutch:

Ancient: /
Classical: /
Medieval: Holland
Renaissance: United Provinces
Industrial: Kingdom of the Netherlands
Modern:Kingdom of the Netherlands

Russia:

ME: Grand Dutchy of Moskva
Ren: Russian Empire
Ind: Russian Republic (free Market) or USSR (state porperty)
Modern :Russian Federation (free Market) or USSR (state porperty)

It is certainly possible, it has all ready been done for normal Civ right here. I think tying it to a set of invisible civics would be the best, however, when you changed invisible Civics, how would you avoid Anarchy?

Could we instead tie it to the Techs that make you change Eras? That would avoid the Anarchy...

In the CIV4CivicInfos.xml file you can edit the civic.

This line should be edited :
<iAnarchyLength>1</iAnarchyLength>
Make it 0 and no anarchy.

But how are you going to change the civic age bound and how are you going to link the name with the civic state porperty?

Has someone tried JDog5000s MOD for renaming civs. When I downloaded it, something was wrong with the file.

Spain:

Ancient: n/a
Classical: n/a
Medieval: Castile
Renaissance: Habsburg
Industrial: Spain
Modern: Spain

It is certainly possible, it has all ready been done for normal Civ right here.

That link is not for standard civ, but it's a modcomp for the BarbarianCiv and Revolution mods. I had a look at it a while ago but could not integrate it with Rhye's. I hope that somebody will come up with something similar that’s workable for BtS’s RFC.

Name changes should be primarily based on civics, not just the passage of time. City names such as "Neapolis" and "Panormus" should also be modernised ("Naples", "Palermo") when the owning civ's changes name.

Actually not Naples, Napoli. As we are using for example Arabic city names for Arabia, also Italian city names for Italy/Rome.

Actually not Naples, Napoli.

I know, I was born in Naples.

As we are using for example Arabic city names for Arabia, also Italian city names for Italy/Rome.

Rhye once said that Italy is not the same as Rome. But I still think that Rome should change name to Italy when:
  1. Rome adopts universal suffrage, or
  2. when it respawns in the Middle Ages or later.

Top Bottom