Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Phil,

Whats all this 'not a strategy game' talk? Civ is a terrific strategy game, and always has been. Good military play in civ has always entailed long term planning of what units you need when. When to emphasize military and when not too. What size of standing army you can have and weather or not its diverse enough to handle anticipated situations. How effectively can you mobilize against a threat? What is your goal for the war before you start it and how many troops do you need ready to accomplish it. How many resources can you give to the military and keep your economy afloat? Those are the meaningful questions Civ delivers in different forms each game.

They are, however see my deconstruction below:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...postcount=1355

In short, a "pure" strategy game has two key elements:

1. Working out your strategy and planning how to execute it. All of the above, and essentially all strategy in Civ games, falls into this category.

2. Actively interacting with your opponents' strategies; anticipating and defending against their plays, while denying their own efforts to execute their strategies effectively.

Civ games offer no real mechanisms in category 2, however these are the elements that make a strategy game dynamic, and hence complex. You can make all the decisions you mention above, but once you've hit on a successful 'best answer' to each question, that answer is invariably the same across any number of run-throughs, because Civ gives you (and hence your opponents) very little flexibility to adapt to or interact with an opponent's strategy. If you can't force an opponent to adapt his strategy or derail it altogether, then if he has a superior strategy to begin with, he wins the game.

You can declare war - but if your opponent's strategy is superior to begin with he will be the odds-on favourite to win the war, since superior tech and unit production is simply part of good strategy in Civ.

EDIT: To put this another way, complex strategy games force trade-offs - in chess, say, moving your queen prevents you from moving anything else at the same time. In Starcraft, investing resources in a unit that counters a particular enemy denies you resources and production slots to produce counters to alternative enemy plays. The above highlights an inherent weakness in Civ games - there is little or no trade-off involved. If your strategy is superior at producing tech that will help you reach a win condition, it is inherently superior at producing military units to defend against enemy attack - your units are better, you'll have more cities and so can produce units without hampering production of buildings that help you to reach your goal. This is another way of putting something I've observed before; that every win condition - including domination - benefits from playing the game in exactly the sane way, since plays that enhance your ability to defend simultaneously enhance your ability to do research, obtain culture techs early or out-population your opponent, and vice versa. The result is that the trade-off that is forced - whether to produce units or tech/buildings at a particular point - is of relatively little importance. Your units are higher-tech, you therefore need fewer of them to defeat opponents, and switching to military production therefore doesn't really affect the strategic outcome of the game; whoever's in the lead stays in the lead.

You can settle a particular piece of land with resource X, production tiles Y and so forth. But this isn't a strategic response; you take it when it's threatened by anyone, you can't take it in order to deny the Germans, say, the vital area they need to execute their strategy successfully.

You can build a Wonder in order to stop other players getting it - again, not a strategic response to any actual situation. You just build it preemptively as a blanket sanction against everyone else, regardless of whether any particular player wants or needs it.

And fundamentally, none of these approaches (except a successful war) really acts to deny an opponent victory. They act to delay victory, but as I noted in a past post you don't win a game of chess by outracing your opponent to mate or simply delaying it, you do so by actively preventing it. This is really not an option in Civilization, and you can't fine-tune your responses to threats sufficiently to distinguish between a play that will delay your opponent and be a nuisance, and one that will make the difference between his reaching victory in 2049 vs. not at all. And of course, since you can't directly interact with specific enemy strategies, it doesn't much matter which of the victory conditions your opponent is aiming for, or what their own strategy to achieve that goal is. You can't play chess without considering what your opponent's strategy is; you can't select appropriate responses in Starcraft without knowing what your opponent will play. But you can, and do, play Civilization that way.

All of which is fine for the type of game Civ is - it offers enough strategy to be absorbing to an audience who are, for the most part, not traditional strategy gamers. But when you turn it into a 'pure' strategy game, or try to, you're going to expose the fact that it's only half a strategy game.

To take a peculiar analogy, Civ 5 suffers from the problem with the Matrix sequels. The Matrix was a good action film with a sideline in bad homespun philosophy. The sequels bought into hype growing up around it that it was a deeper or more intelligent film than in fact it was, and so ended up over-emphasising a pseudo-philosophical element that only highlighted the original's shortcomings in that regard, while alienating the action-movie crowd the thing was originally aimed at.

I think the designers of Civ V have, similarly, bought into the common conception among Civ gamers - who, for the most part, are strategy gamers in the same way Matrix audiences were philosophers - that this is primarily a strategy game, with essentially the same end result. Whether or not they articulate it in those terms the audience now realises that, hang on, what we actually wanted wasn't primarily a strategy game after all - give us our empire simulator back!

What it isn't is a tactical game. Civ 1-4 (and 5, from the sounds of it) never offered any real tactical depth, and whatever the devs tried to give it failed in one way or another. Civ1 had Spear vs tank and stack death. Civ 2 softened that but still never really had many meaningful tactical decisions. Civ 3 introduced stacks of death, which made things all that much more strategic (can you prepare and produce) but made tactics a joke. CivIV tried to nerf that, but on the whole failed to stop Stacks of Death from being the way to wage war.

See the above; I'm looking at the game at the broader scale of how strategies and planned and executed. Civ games are poor tactically, but that's a whole different discussion.

Then they pull out civ V and try to make it a tactical game. They put all their emphasis into what they're bad at.

This is true in terms of the tactical element of Civ V. However, as above I'd also argue that this is true of the strategic element. Civ V doesn't just try to improve tactics; it tries to be more strategic. It tries to allow better interaction between players, for example, by using city states as 'bargaining chips' that can be used to support your strategy or deny an opponent's. But it doesn't really work because of the way city-state influence works, bad AI opponents, and the limited opportunities for CS diplomacy.

The AI *tries* (badly) to play strategically. No older Civ AI really used war strategically - indeed in Civ IV it was all dictated by how much they liked/disliked you, hence the famous diplomatic transparency system. War was the "final sanction" - if relations deteriorated that far, each side tried to wipe out the other without any particular considerations about military objectives (should I take town X? Have I obtained an advantage so far in this war? If so, should I declare peace? Indeed, an AI civ that's winning would almost never offer peace whatever the context, even if that forced them to keep up unit production when it was no longer strategically wise). In Civ V I routinely get declarations of war from civs with specific interests in obtaining my border city (and has the 'we dislike you settling near us' mechanic to prompt it to do so), and they will often then offer peace either when this has been achieved, or when their initial attack fails. But the AI is of course infamously bad, and the effort to play war strategically comes at the expense of trying to do so diplomatically, hence the notoriously erratic war declarations by an AI that seems to be programmed to focus on capturing City X regardless of the surrounding diplomatic context - they'll just declare war when they feel they have the military to do so, irrespective of whether they supposedly like you or not. Also, the strategic decision-making itself is oversimple - they'll try and take border towns, but they won't try and secure towns with specific resources they need, and will ignore a juicy target for an inconsequential settlement that just happens to be closer.

As I've noted, from the ground up Civ V seems designed around the idea of making 'tall' strategies a viable alternative to 'wide' strategies, so that you can pursue the same goal in a greater variety of ways. This works to some degree, but plays against what Civ players actually want - as I noted to Sulla, having viable 'tall' empires is all very well strategically, but it simply doesn't appeal to the sort of players who want an empire-building game, because no one buys an empire-builder to create an empire of two or three cities.

Older Civ games may have been strategically limiting in forcing city-sprawl-based strategies, but those are at least strategies that its expected player base will *use*. Civ V's effort to 'balance' tall strategies, while I applaud it as a strategy gamer, is like a first-person shooter game that tries to balance the game so that a knife is as effective as a rocket launcher: it rather misses the point.

And on top of all this, fundamentally Sulla and others have pointed out that for all Civ V's efforts to become more strategic, it ultimately hasn't worked. A key complaint levelled against it is that it is still possible to win with a cookie-cutter strategy even at the highest difficulty levels, exactly as has always been the case in Civ - again, because Civ fundamentally doesn't allow the kind of interaction with opponents' strategies that's required to prevent this from happening.

EDIT: And while this has been true for five incarnations of Civilization, it is only generating complaints now. Why? Because Civ V, unlike Civs 1-4, is all about the strategy - it doesn't really offer anything else to the players. THe older games could still be fun empire simulators even if they always played out essentially the same way; there were always minor differences in detail or random events that were of no strategic importance, but whiich made the game interesting to play repeatedly. That's not really true of Civ V, hence common reports of people 'completing' the game and getting bored.

Phil

Im all for winning and what have you, but sometimes I like to actually have allies and maintain good relations even when growing at a massive rate.. Civ 4 seemed to be excellent at allowing this kind of gameplay, however it is near impossible to have even one ally after a while.

Allowing people to substitute anything for actual production has always been one of the flaws of the Civ series; it was refreshing to see pop rushing finally gone, but I agree with Sullla as far as Gold Rushing in Civ 5 is concerned.

When it was pointed out just how bad it was, their response was not to get rid of gold rushing, but just to make gold rarer.

True, it'd make more sense if buying a building with gold cut the number of hammers needed instead of instantly popping a building. Like if the first 50%, maybe 75% of the hammers for something can be bought with gold (or increased hammers per turn generated for that object which would have a similar effect).

Phil,

Your link is dead.

Many words with many bad assumptions and little content. No wonder you became a contemporary scientist. That and politics are the only places that kind of thinking can thrive.

Other than simply failing to understand the previous games there isn't much excuse for your thesis that you can't force opponents to adapt their strategy. In Civ V it may be true that there is no true strategy, but that can be pinned down to terrible AI and bad game design. Previous incarnations certainly allow you to screw with opponents strategies for the win.

In Starcraft, investing resources in a unit that counters a particular enemy denies you resources and production slots to produce counters to alternative enemy plays.

In starcraft, if you're playing a horrible opponent you have enough time to gather resources and time to produce to cover all your bases. Most of the arguments you have against the Civ series is essentially the same you'd have against starcraft if your opponents where terrible and you had unlimited time and resources.

You can declare war - but if your opponent's strategy is superior to begin with he will be the odds-on favourite to win the war, since superior tech and unit production is simply part of good strategy in Civ.

You mean, declare war arbitrarily with no strategy like the terrible Civ V AI scripts then its just a hammer vs hammer production and tech battle. If you're strategy is to pillage their lone source of a strategic resource on the first or second turn and use your resource advantage against them then even better overall strategy can lose. Oil wars in Civ IV could be changed by denying oil, and Deity games have been one at a tech and hammer disadvantage based on uranium denial. Holding a fortified chokepoint has always turned tides of war in Civ, being able to attack from locations the opponent can't see has been a good tactic in civ that can turn wars (esp in III or before where there where separate ATK\DEF stats.

Beyond that, wait and get better tech vs rushing is a major strategic decision in Civ, and you can mess with opponents if you know their going for either. Setting up a good defence can repel rushes for fewer production points and put you in an advantage over a rusher, but building defensive units vs a techer will put the defender at a disadvantage in the long run. Defence beats rush beats techspaming beats defense.

Three general strategies that counter each other and are thus are influenced by the strategies around them.

But if you can play so much better than your opponent that you can attack and tech and defend better than they can do any one of those things, no, there is no strategy. Thats a difficulty level and AI problem though, not a game design problem.

You can settle a particular piece of land with resource X, production tiles Y and so forth. But this isn't a strategic response; you take it when it's threatened by anyone, you can't take it in order to deny the Germans, say, the vital area they need to execute their strategy successfully.

What are you talking about? You realize that you have a limited supply of settlers at any given time right? You can strategically decide to settle a sub par peice of land near an opponent to deny it to them over a good peice of land that would be hard for them to get too. That would be a strategic response to an opponent wanting the same piece of land. Of course it may mean you provoke a war with them, and you have to weigh your options.

You certily CAN settle a redundant source of copper just to deny your neighbors said source. The extra copper does very little for you in the short run (in earlier games of civ, Civ V of course broke that with bad trading AI) but if it stops them getting better units you might have just beat them. Of corse that means not settling somewhere more valuable.

Due to city maintience in Civ IV that would be a fairly complex decision in that game. Founding a city just for resource denial would be costly. I understand Civ V broke that and brought back ICS, but thats a Civ V problem.

You can build a Wonder in order to stop other players getting it - again, not a strategic response to any actual situation. You just build it preemptively as a blanket sanction against everyone else, regardless of whether any particular player wants or needs it.

This assumes you can build as many wonders as you want, you can't blanket take all wonders in civ without not building other things. Once again, if you're playing an opponent far under you you can do this, but on higher levels of good civ games its not an option.

Scenarios like 'this AI likes to build the great wall, but my strategy revolves around it, so I need to prioritize these tiles and these techs to beat them' is strategic. Obviously scenarios like 'oh, a wonder is available and I'm two eras ahead of everyone, lets just build it.' are not strategic.

I wish scientists still learned to check their assumptions, its so important . You have so many underlying faulty assumptions here... Your constant assumption is that there are unlimited resources in civ, thus there is no tradeoff between building this or that. Its a faulty assumption since you only get a certain amount of hammers per turn, and turns are a finite resource.

Quite a bit of Civ IV high level play involves rushing the Sistine Chapel, why? Because without the Sistine chapel the AI won't win cultural victory before 1800. Does the player need the wonder? Usually not. Can the player just blanket grab all wonders? Certinly not. Do they need to do this every game? No, only when they know a player is in the game that would go for a cultural victory.

And fundamentally, none of these approaches (except a successful war) really acts to deny an opponent victory. They act to delay victory, but as I noted in a past post you don't win a game of chess by outracing your opponent to mate or simply delaying it, you do so by actively preventing it.

You understand that ACHIEVING a victory denies your opponents victory right?

And "Raze a cultural city" is a Civ IV strategy that pretty much denies the AI getting a cultural victory. "Raze their capital" In earlier Civs denied an immanent space race victory as well.

And you seem to misunderstand Chess as well... You can only prevent your opponent from checkmating you by checkmating them, or taking everything that could potentially checkmate you. Otherwise there is always the risk that given enough time they might checkmate you. The later just means that its either a stalemate or, lo and behold, you checkmate them.

I'm not really sure weather you misunderstand higher level play of earlier Civ Games, or misunderstand stragety in general more, but you're failing at both of those enough to earn a decent facepalm...

This is true in terms of the tactical element of Civ V. However, as above I'd also argue that this is true of the strategic element. Civ V doesn't just try to improve tactics; it tries to be more strategic. It tries to allow better interaction between players, for example, by using city states as 'bargaining chips' that can be used to support your strategy or deny an opponent's. But it doesn't really work because of the way city-state influence works, bad AI opponents, and the limited opportunities for CS diplomacy.

Yes. Civ V did fail at its strategic ideas, that is part of my point.

No older Civ AI really used war strategically - indeed in Civ IV it was all dictated by how much they liked/disliked you, hence the famous diplomatic transparency system.

No, older AI civ just failed at strategy as much as Civ V's. Civ IV had non transparent (barring moding) modifiers to attack based on someone becoming advanced, powerful, or approaching certain victory conditions. That's pretty much the same as the 'we dislike you for settling near us' mechanic, and Civ IV even had THAT mechanic, in the form of 'our close boarders spark tensions'. It was just possible to nullify those via diplomacy. TBH having the option to convince someone NOT to act in their own best interests is more strategic than an AI that acts just as insane one way or another. Civ IV also had backstabbing AI's...

As I've noted, from the ground up Civ V seems designed around the idea of making 'tall' strategies a viable alternative to 'wide' strategies, so that you can pursue the same goal in a greater variety of ways.

Civ IV actually achieved that... The 'wide' strategy could actually sink you in that game if not properly executed, and a lot of players couldn't execute it. On the other hand One City Challenge was more viable than ever before with focused specialist economies. Plus Civ IV's cultural victory worked just as well with 9 cities as 90, and more cities actually penalized diplomatic victories (other than backdoor domination of course)

This works to some degree, but plays against what Civ players actually want - as I noted to Sulla, having viable 'tall' empires is all very well strategically, but it simply doesn't appeal to the sort of players who want an empire-building game, because no one buys an empire-builder to create an empire of two or three cities.

What are you talking about? Pleanty of people liked running small Specialist economies or culture wins in IV... Letting smaller empires compete was actually something most players liked, one of the big complains about Civ V is that ICS is back...

A key complaint levelled against it is that it is still possible to win with a cookie-cutter strategy even at the highest difficulty levels,

Mmm, high level play in Civ IV revolves around 'playing the map' based on what and who is around you. Unless its a cheesy 'dual Quechua rush' you pretty much had to play around what was around you... This is more a Civ V failed complaint than a problem with Civ as a whole.

With scripted AI there is going to be a point where you 'learn their strategy' and can always beat them by playing a cretin way, but that's true with many human opponents in other strategy games (including chess) as well.

For being decently written I can't believe how much you like to impose your assumptions on your ability to effectively argue. Civ IV offered quite a few layers of strategy and counter strategy, quite a bit of which had to come into play to win on higher levels. You seem to miss it because you apparently play on levels where you can do things like 'blanket get every wonder just for denial'. I'm not sure weather I believe your a biologist or not, but if you are its just another testament to the increasing problem of putting assumptions before actualization.

In starcraft, if you're playing a horrible opponent you have enough time to gather resources and time to produce to cover all your bases. Most of the arguments you have against the Civ series is essentially the same you'd have against starcraft if your opponents where terrible and you had unlimited time and resources.

I'm assuming equivalent skill levels. Arguing that you can reliably beat an opponent without trade-offs if that opponent doesn't mine enough resources or defend their bases is of course true, but is equivalent to your argument that you can reliably beat an opponent in Civ strategically if they don't play well enough to secure multiple sources of uranium or defend those key sites. Sure, you can shut down an opposing higher-tech civ's military if your opponent isn't paying attention, but my point is that if opponents' skill and yours are approximately equal, there's little that can be done to alter the strategic outcome.

All of your scenarios imply a 'perfect game' from your perspective that relies on the opponent letting you waltz into his capital to raze it, let you grab his only source of a key resource etc., or worse still, relying on the presumption that the random chance of starting locations denies them the resource in quantity to begin with - you clearly can't base a case for complex strategic play on a strategy that lets you win through dumb luck, and which is completely foxed if your opponent gets luckier in the next game. In other words, all of scenarios presume an inherently weaker opposing play that you can exploit. This is like arguing that strategy in chess is all about taking undefended pieces or hoping your opponent doesn't see the threat your knight poses to his rook.

Past a certain level, every chess player will defend all their pieces, and all will see every imminent threat - the strategy instead relies on knowing when to push, which piece to sacrifice when and calculating what will be gained by it based on the opponent's likely response, and where on the board to pick your fights - which squares are worth sacrificing pieces to control, and which piece is best-placed to control it. None of your examples illustrate anything comparable in Civ - the strategies you present are all at about the level of placing a queen to threaten his rook and hoping he won't see it coming in time to do anything about it.

You mean, declare war arbitrarily with no strategy like the terrible Civ V AI scripts then its just a hammer vs hammer production and tech battle.

You may have been playing a modded or otherwise different version of Civ IV and earlier titles, or possibly doing so in multiplayer, but the AI precluded conducting strategic raids. You declare war to grab resource X, and then want to declare peace, the AI would either insist on continuing the war or, if it realises it's losing, will accept peace temporarily while building up for the next attack - forcing you to be at permanent war readiness with every opponent whose key resource you've raided. As above, it works fine if you happen to have the luck or, through bad AI play, opportunity to exploit a shortage of resources on their part and effectively remove them from the game militarily. But presuming equal luck and skill, it's not a viable option.

Beyond that, wait and get better tech vs rushing is a major strategic decision in Civ

It's a major strategic decision in Starcraft too. In that game the latter will win you the game outright, or lose you the game outright, for the reason you mention that you can defend and come out ahead in resources. But it is far from the *only* major decision in Starcraft 2, or the only opportunity that game gives you to "mess with opponents". But once again, it relies on a bad play from your opponent - if you've scouted a rush, it generally won't work, and any capable opponent will switch strategies as soon as he knows he's been seen. In Civ, an AI won't take this into account, you're right, and will rush and be set back. That doesn't mean Civ is strategically complex, it means Civ has crappy AI. And I think this is the fundamental that relates to all of your points - you're looking at it from the perspective of someone who plays and beats an AI opponent, so perhaps without realising it every one of your assumptions is framed around experience with an inferior player.

What are you talking about? You realize that you have a limited supply of settlers at any given time right? You can strategically decide to settle a sub par peice of land near an opponent to deny it to them over a good peice of land that would be hard for them to get too. That would be a strategic response to an opponent wanting the same piece of land. Of course it may mean you provoke a war with them, and you have to weigh your options.

No, I'm not suggesting you can't deny land to an opponent by settling it - I'm taking issue with the suggestion that you can do so *strategically*. Say I want to settle an early city, and (to use your example) there's copper in a nearby hill. I can, as you suggest, settle an area that's between that copper and Germany, so that they can't get at it. But is this really a strategic decision? You don't want Germany to get at the copper regardless of their strategy or victory condition, even if you know what they are. If the Mongols rather than the Germans had been your neighbours, you wouldn't have wanted them to get it either, again irrespective of their strategy - copper isn't a resource that's more relevant to one strategy than another particularly, it's just an early-game strategic resource needed to make decent military units, whatever those units are used for. Similarly if the resource had been horses or iron rather than copper, the same would apply.

Play the game again, and again, with different neighbours using different strategies. Every time you have the opportunity to block that copper to your rival, what do you do? Chances are you'll do the same thing, over and over. Hence there is no real strategic decision-making involved. Yes, you can decide not to block the copper and to settle somewhere more useful to you instead, but that's similarly independent of your opponents' desire for copper. The only context-based consideration that will influence your decision one way or another (aside from the attractiveness of the alternative city site) is whether your rival already has at least one source of copper, in which case that site probably won't be a priority target for an AI rival anyway, so whether or not you deny it is strategically irrelevant from their perspective.

This assumes you can build as many wonders as you want, you can't blanket take all wonders in civ without not building other things.

No, I'm talking about denying *a* Wonder, not every wonder. You gave an example of exactly what I mean yourself - you'll default to building the Sistine Chapel to deny it to everyone. It doesn't matter if one rival is angling for a cultural victory, if three rivals are, to a large extent it doesn't matter if any of those rivals are likely to be in a position to actually secure a cultural victory - as you say yourself it's a default strategy to produce the Sistine Chapel to deny it to opponents.

Once again, if you're playing an opponent far under you you can do this, but on higher levels of good civ games its not an option.

That depends whether the AI is "far under you" on the higher levels as well, which is dependent on your own skill level. All of your examples, as I've mentioned, suggest that you're assuming an inferior opponent. This is not surprising because of the way Civ difficulty levels work - they work by giving the AI different bonuses at each level of play, the AI itself is the same and never learns to play any better at Deity than it does at Chieftain, it just starts off with more gameplay advantages. This is why you can get the impression that, if you can beat Deity by denying his one uranium, you're playing strategically at a high level. No, you're playing a dumb Chieftain-level AI that's no better at learning it should have more than one source of key resources than it did at lower difficulty levels; it's just got a better handicap.

Scenarios like 'this AI likes to build the great wall, but my strategy revolves around it, so I need to prioritize these tiles and these techs to beat them' is strategic.

Not very, because the scenario would be very similar if you didn't know the AI liked to build the Great Wall, or if it had about a 50/50 chance - if your scenario revolves around it you want to be sure of getting it anyway regardless of what the AI is doing. The only time it would be a strategic decision is if you knew or strongly suspected that the AI had a very low probability of going for the Great Wall, in which case you'd choose delay it as long as your strategy required. And of course if the AI always does the same thing, then your response is, yet again, always going to be the same one.

Obviously scenarios like 'oh, a wonder is available and I'm two eras ahead of everyone, lets just build it.' are not strategic.

Nor is "oh, the Sistine Chapel is available and someone else might want it, let's build it to be on the safe side". The best argument you can (and did) make for considering this a strategic decision is that it depends who the other empires are in the game. So, you won't go for it every game - okay, but odds are you'll go for it in the majority. A situational decision which is nevertheless the right one in most situations is only trivially strategic (as you imply yourself by pointing out that "a lot of high level Civ IV" play involves it).

I wish scientists still learned to check their assumptions, its so important . You have so many underlying faulty assumptions here... Your constant assumption is that there are unlimited resources in civ, thus there is no tradeoff between building this or that.

This is an assumption introduced by your mischaracterising some of the above - such as suggesting I was proposing building every wonder, or simultaneously settling everywhere on the map the enemy might want to go. Your own assumptions seem somewhat more fatal - you assume that any of the scenarios you present can actually happen against an equally skilled opponent, which is either a case of giving the AI too much credit, or overreliance on the theory of what Civ IV should allow rather than of actual gameplay. Your examples are just cases of things you can pull off to exploit a weaker opponent, not viable strategies to level a playing field against even competition.

You understand that ACHIEVING a victory denies your opponents victory right?

Only at the end of the game, by definition. So it doesn't really factor into strategic decision-making as a separate component when you already have 'win the game' as an objective.

And "Raze a cultural city" is a Civ IV strategy that pretty much denies the AI getting a cultural victory.

And a Civ IV strategy that pretty much relies on the AI letting you do it.

"Raze their capital" In earlier Civs denied an immanent space race victory as well.

Ditto.

And you seem to misunderstand Chess as well... You can only prevent your opponent from checkmating you by checkmating them, or taking everything that could potentially checkmate you.

This is rather my point - two options where Civ offers one. "Taking everything that could potentially checkmate you" being what I mean by denial. In fact there's a third option - place your defenders so that it doesn't matter what your opponent threatens your king with, the only things that can be positioned to become active threats can be eliminated. So you don't actually need to take all the pieces that could threaten you, just manufacture a situation where that will happen if the opponent presses their attack, however many turns they take.

No, older AI civ just failed at strategy as much as Civ V's. Civ IV had non transparent (barring moding) modifiers to attack based on someone becoming advanced, powerful, or approaching certain victory conditions. That's pretty much the same as the 'we dislike you for settling near us' mechanic, and Civ IV even had THAT mechanic, in the form of 'our close boarders spark tensions'. It was just possible to nullify those via diplomacy. TBH having the option to convince someone NOT to act in their own best interests is more strategic than an AI that acts just as insane one way or another.

Strategy game AIs, which are mostly superior to those in the Civ series, are nonetheless usually bad, simply because strategic play is by its nature complex. I think part of the flaw - beyond general bad AI - that makes Civ V seem *so* terrible is that it tries to play strategically where Civ IV never did. War in Civ IV was still mostly a matter of 'look at the list of plus/minus modifiers. Do we hate them? If yes, wipe them out. Check. Are we winning? If yes, carry on. If no, check again. Have we lost cities? If yes, offer peace, but hate enemy civ forever more".

Civ V wants its AI to declare war on people it doesn't necessarily hate in order to achieve objective "Capture Paris" "Check. Is Paris ours? If yes, check. Do we have enough units to take Orleans? If yes, carry on. If no, declare peace. Is Paris ours? If no, check. Do we still have enough attackers? If yes, carry on. If no, declare peace and slowly normalise relations. It requires more logical checks to perform a simple war-related task like capturing one city, and will do that for every city, than Civ IV, which only really cares (a) does it like you, and (b) if you're at war, is it winning or losing. Civ IV can play better just because it has less to keep track of in terms of its AI decision-making. It's the same reason average chess AIs are superior to real-time strategy game AIs; chess has a much more AI-friendly 'action-response' structure and the AI will always know that if you do X, you can't do Y at the same time. It can't work this way in games with more complex rules, even if the actual strategies allowed are as simple or simpler.

Civ IV actually achieved that... The 'wide' strategy could actually sink you in that game if not properly executed,

Key qualifier highlighted. The problem isn't that a badly-executed strategy doesn't always work, the problem is that the same well-executed strategy *does* always work. That there is an optimal strategy that always wins regardless of what strategies are played against it.

There's a lot of whining on Starcraft forums about a '1-1-1' (Barracks-Factory-Starport) strategy that can take on all comers and win. The fact that it's the easiest thing in the world to screw up a 1-1-1 and lose the game doesn't imply that 1-1-1 isn't the optimal strategy in the hands of a better player (disclaimer: I'm not making any claims about whether or not it is - though personally I doubt it - just raising it as an example). The wide strategy, if properly executed, *always* worked.

What are you talking about? Pleanty of people liked running small Specialist economies or culture wins in IV... Letting smaller empires compete was actually something most players liked, one of the big complains about Civ V is that ICS is back...

As I understand it, ICS isn't a blanket term for expansionist strategies, it's the term for a particularly excessive form that placed a city anywhere a city could concievably be placed. Civ IV curtailed it, but other 'wide' strategies still ultimately outperformed 'tall' strategies - even a cultural victory can't be won with only three cities in Civ IV.

Mmm, high level play in Civ IV revolves around 'playing the map' based on what and who is around you. Unless its a cheesy 'dual Quechua rush' you pretty much had to play around what was around you... This is more a Civ V failed complaint than a problem with Civ as a whole.

See my points above. Playing "what was around you" affected overall strategy to a rather limited degree, as per the 'settle to prevent the Germans getting copper' example. And playing to exploit random events such as the rarity of oil or uranium in one player's territory is strategic in the context of that game, but is hardly generalisable complex strategy. If I have a queen and my opponent has a rook that's threatened, it's good strategy on my part to take it if he doesn't spot the threat and move it. It's not good chess strategy generally to play in the expectation that my next opponent won't see it coming.

With scripted AI there is going to be a point where you 'learn their strategy' and can always beat them by playing a cretin way, but that's true with many human opponents in other strategy games (including chess) as well.

Yes, it's true of individual opponents. But it's not inherently true of the game in chess. If you play multiplayer Civ against an opponent who has enough uranium, and who defends his key cities sensibly, you inherently lack alternative sanctions to influence the outcome of the game. This is never true in chess.

Phil

Yes, it's true of individual opponents. But it's not inherently true of the game in chess. If you play multiplayer Civ against an opponent who has enough uranium, and who defends his key cities sensibly, you inherently lack alternative sanctions to influence the outcome of the game. This is never true in chess.

What happens to all your claims about Chess if 10 times as many pieces are in play, on a board 10 times as big, and maybe with multiple opponents as well? You seem to be saying you prefer the small, compact decisions of Chess. Well that's not Civ. It's a big game with arguably too much flexibility. Managing all that muck and staying focused on an objective could very well be the acumen of skill in the genre.

All right, I'm going to try to cut this down and go point by point... It's still going to be longer than this topic warrants though.

I'm assuming equivalent skill levels.
False. If opponents have equivalent skills you can't wonder spam, you can't count on just out teaching them, and you can't count on being able to arbitrarily settle anywhere. Most of your previous argument was that Civ didn't have strategy because you could just win...

Your next few paragraphs can be summed up that 'random elements in a game mean it's not strategic' This is a false assertion. Having a game where good strategy does not always win does not mean it is not a strategy game. A fine example o that would be BlackJack. BlackJack is a singularly strategic game. Good BlackJack playing revolves around playing a set strategy (either Basic or a Card Counting variant) consistently though enough random hands that the law of averages brings out out ahead. Will someone playing randomly often beat a good player in any given hand? Yes. But good strategy means they'll win many, many more hands out of 1000 or 10000 than a poor player would.

Understanding probability, being able to adapt to disadvantage situations (or make the best of advantage ones) and being able to fine tune moves based on set goals is all part of good strategy, and part of a good strategy game. Chess is a fine strategy game, but believe it or not being different from chess does not make something 'not a strategy game'

You declare war to grab resource X, and then want to declare peace, the AI would either insist on continuing the war or, if it realises it's losing, will accept peace temporarily while building up for the next attack - forcing you to be at permanent war readiness with every opponent whose key resource you've raided.

Yes, actions have consequences you have to consider before taking them. That is actually part of strategy, not something that takes away from it. You must weigh your options before raiding... But lets step back to this.

but the AI precluded conducting strategic raids.

For you? Don't generalize and say that it did this for everyone... DoW, Raid the city with the resource, win the war, gift a tech and start trading. Build up and DoW with enough defencive units to hold the city till your opponent is out of units that use the key resource, then advance for a total victory. Or, as you apparently do every time, don't DoW because you can't deal with the consiquences of your action. Or heck, do something to provoke them DoWing on you, then you don't get the long term diplo penalty and still get resource denial...

But presuming equal luck and skill, it's not a viable option.

Presuming absolutely equal skill Chess is always a stalemate. Presuming total equality ANY strategy game should lose its viable options, that doesn't make the game 'not strategic', it just makes the game 'not rock paper scissors', which is fine.

Play the game again, and again, with different neighbours using different strategies. Every time you have the opportunity to block that copper to your rival, what do you do? Chances are you'll do the same thing, over and over.

No, YOU will do the same thing over and over because that is YOUR strategy. That doesn't mean there is no strategic decision making, it just means you play the same way every time. I might not care if a neighbor has copper if I don't plan on warring with them and they arnt' disposed to attack me. The Gems on the other side of me may be more appealing, or a nice, totally difffernet city site for developing more Hammers or commerce. Or heck, I might want some Marble.

Just because you play like a machine don't mean there is no strategy.

And the kicker is that even if that WAS the only viable strategy, it would still be a strategy. Back to BlackJack, there is really only one viable basic strategy, but its still a game of strategy. You either play right or you lose more often.

And did you realize I'm criticizing YOU for basing your assumptions about civ around playing an inferior player, I'm generally not talking about playing inferior players myself? Some reading comprehension would be nice...

No, I'm talking about denying *a* Wonder, not every wonder. You gave an example of exactly what I mean yourself - you'll default to building the Sistine Chapel to deny it to everyone. It doesn't matter if one rival is angling for a cultural victory, if three rivals are, to a large extent it doesn't matter if any of those rivals are likely to be in a position to actually secure a cultural victory - as you say yourself it's a default strategy to produce the Sistine Chapel to deny it to opponents.

But, I didn't say that, I said high level play often revolves around that because it counters strategies of cretin AI's, it certainly doesn't default to that.

Lets cut to the chase, do you have any idea what a strategy is? Do you understand that in any set of circumstances there will be optimal strategies? Do you understand the existence of sub-optimal strategies does not mean that a game is 'not strategic'?

This is why you can get the impression that, if you can beat Deity by denying his one uranium, you're playing strategically at a high level.

No, all I said was that if you do that you're playing strategically. I said nothing about what level that strategy was on. All I've been doing with this whole thread is countering your silly assertion that Civ is not a strategy game. It demonstratively and obviously is, and is a great deal more complex and difficult than many that exist. Either way, humans can be beat by uranium denial, and the uranium denial strategy can be beat via banning nukes, or simply defending uranium too well, or having alternate sources, or random uranium spawns. Its not a no brainier against a good human. Hence its a strategic option. It just happens to be a generally good option.

Not very, because the scenario would be very similar if you didn't know the AI liked to build the Great Wall, or if it had about a 50/50 chance - if your scenario revolves around it you want to be sure of getting it anyway regardless of what the AI is doing.

No, early production sacrifices early growth. There is a tradeoff. If you knew the AI did not want that wonder you could grow more and grab it right when you needed it rather than rushing too it. Grow more and get it 20 turns later, or grow much less to get it right away? There will be a tradeoff there, and knowing what your opponent wants is the deciding factor in that.

This is an assumption introduced by your mischaracterising some of the above - such as suggesting I was proposing building every wonder, or simultaneously settling everywhere on the map the enemy might want to go.

Actually, those mischaracterizations where not assumptions, they where hyperbole meant to mock how you ignored the opportunity cost in each of the presented situations. You can't just build a wonder for denials sake, wonders are expensive and have a cost of time and production. Nor can you just settle a city so they don't get it without sacrificing the chance to settle a city in a different location at that time. Those are strategic decisions weather you like it or not. I get that you're used to walking into a conversation with a hypothesis first and ignoring everything that goes against that hypothesis, but you'd be better off accepting contradictory information and adjusting your ideas to it than ignoring it.

Your own assumptions seem somewhat more fatal - you assume that any of the scenarios you present can actually happen against an equally skilled opponent, which is either a case of giving the AI too much credit, or overreliance on the theory of what Civ IV should allow rather than of actual gameplay.

That never was one of my assumptions... You just made an assumption about what my assumptions where, sadly enough. What does it matter if such and such thing can't be done vs an equal opponent in equal situations? Like I said, perfect equals in Chess means a stalemate, no strategy works in Chess with total and perfect equals. That doesn't make Chess 'non strategic'.

But as far as it goes, most of what I've said CAN happen in Civ IV with equal opponents. Civ IV had collateral damage, if a strategic resource is on a boarder even a good human can't effectively defend it vs a well made stack with siege taking it on the turn of the DoW. Saving up EP's and a great engineer can let a human deny another human a wonder. There is a whole EP and research metagame that only shines with humans because the AI was never taught it. (Though I run modded AI that is quite a bit better) They certainly can level a playing field against a stronger opponent. You're just ignoring that because it messes with your hypothesis.

Only at the end of the game, by definition. So it doesn't really factor into strategic decision-making as a separate component when you already have 'win the game' as an objective.

Wait, did you just say a game should have strategy to do something other than its main objective? What? You're strategy should be to END THE GAME WITH YOU AS THE VICTOR. Chess certainly doesn't have a separate objective than that. It only has one victory condition too, so you must find it quite shallow.

And a Civ IV strategy that pretty much relies on the AI letting you do it.

And chess strategy relies on your opponent letting you take their pieces.

No, once again, Civ IV strategy relies on you MAKING THINGS HAPPEN despite your opponent opposing you. Weather you're playing poor AI, a poor human opponent, or a good human opponent, it relies on your strategy beating theirs. That is what a strategy game is.

This is rather my point - two options where Civ offers one. "Taking everything that could potentially checkmate you" being what I mean by denial. In fact there's a third option - place your defenders so that it doesn't matter what your opponent threatens your king with, the only things that can be positioned to become active threats can be eliminated. So you don't actually need to take all the pieces that could threaten you, just manufacture a situation where that will happen if the opponent presses their attack, however many turns they take.

The situation you describe has either both players doing it, making a stalemate (something civ doesn't have) or having one player doing it and destroying the other. When a person defends until their opponent makes a false move its called a counter-offensive, and Civ has those. They're quite exploitable against the AI, not so much against humans, thus I didn't really meniton them.

Yes, Chess has stalemates and Civ IV doesn't. Stalemates arn't actually a victory condition though. Civ doesn't have that because of its score mechanic and time victory. Otherwise you COULD get into an infinite buildup loop situation, and runing older civs AI only (without a human to shift the balance) without a time victory often leads to just that.

Civ V AI pretty much runs on +- modifiers too, they just got hidden... It gets so much flack because the modifiers are terrible at both gameplay and strategy, where the Civ IV ones where just bad at strategy.

Civ IV AI actually targeted cities too, and while its more simplistic, its 'war success' hidden stat combined with 'power rating' pretty much did the same thing as CivV's 'do we have enough troops' check.

Civ V wants its AI to declare war on people it doesn't necessarily hate in order to achieve objective "Capture Paris" "Check. Is Paris ours? If yes, check. Do we have enough units to take Orleans? If yes, carry on. If no, declare peace. Is Paris ours? If no, check. Do we still have enough attackers? If yes, carry on. If no, declare peace and slowly normalise relations. It requires more logical checks to perform a simple war-related task like capturing one city, and will do that for every city, than Civ IV, which only really cares (a) does it like you, and (b) if you're at war, is it winning or losing. Civ IV can play better just because it has less to keep track of in terms of its AI decision-making.

The thing is adding more logical checks doesn't mean the AI is smarter or more strategic. It just means its decision making is less fluid. The 'pick the best nearest city and attack' and 'declare peace when losing' is better programming hands down than a list of logical checks that accomplishes the same thing.

It's the same reason average chess AIs are superior to real-time strategy game AIs; chess has a much more AI-friendly 'action-response' structure and the AI will always know that if you do X, you can't do Y at the same time. It can't work this way in games with more complex rules, even if the actual strategies allowed are as simple or simpler.

As it's been described, the best Chess AI's arn't really intelligent at all, they just win by the brute force of being able to process every single contingency. They can't actually adapt to unknowns. I tend to agree with what your saying here at least.

The problem isn't that a badly-executed strategy doesn't always work, the problem is that the same well-executed strategy *does* always work. That there is an optimal strategy that always wins regardless of what strategies are played against it.

Civ IV actually achieved that... The 'wide' strategy could actually sink you in that game if not properly executed,

Key word highlighted. I never said that a well played wide strategy always beat the tall one in Civ IV, it doesn't. It is not always the optimal strategy, esp if you're playing an equal and can't rush and can't afford to fall being in techs in the classical era. It always carries the risk of sinking your economy into oblivion, and ruining your game. Not only did I not say the wide strategy always worked, I was pointing out a weakness in the wide strategy that the tall one does not have anything comparable too.

It is strong, but playing equals I'd probably shell out core cities and try to get specialists\academies in all of them before expanding. Then I'd have to classical war. I'd be at a moderate advantage over the expander. If they also build tall then we'd probably be competing for open land at that point, and luck would be a big factor.

As I understand it, ICS isn't a blanket term for expansionist strategies, it's the term for a particularly excessive form that placed a city anywhere a city could concievably be placed. Civ IV curtailed it, but other 'wide' strategies still ultimately outperformed 'tall' strategies - even a cultural victory can't be won with only three cities in Civ IV.

You understand it right. As far as I'd heard in civ V you could ICS since pop gave science directly and you could build happy buildings that affected the whole empire. Having a 1 pop hobo town with lots of happy buildings actually helped the empire more than it hurt it. Settling tundra in Civ IV would often be a liability, and never an asset until late game (with corps or something).

And Culture Can be won in CivIV with three cities, in fact three cities with many religions is as good as nine with one or two. Though it is weaker to have only three.

...but is hardly generalisable complex strategy.

No, there are quite a few generalizable complex strategies in Civ IV. Have a look for yourself, many of them are posted on this very forum.

It's not good chess strategy generally to play in the expectation that my next opponent won't see it coming.

So, chess doesn't have fog of war or espionage sliders. You understand a game can be strategic and be different from chess right?

Uh, no. U.N. Sanctions are still there :). And considering thats an endgame example, I'd say that a chess game where you've lost all your key pieces and have only three pawns to compete with their queen and rook and they are a half competent player you lack the sanctions to influence the outcome of the game. That IS true in a game of chess.

So far as I can tell your main arguments are:

Randomness precludes strategy.
The existence of generally optimal strategies paradoxically makes something not strategic.
Equality in skill negating counterable strategies somehow makes a game non strategic.

All of which I would defer to the simple but deep game of BlackJack. Its highly random and its got set, optimal strategies, which in a no advantage situation are negated by someone else playing strategically. Its still a pure strategy game, you still win or lose more based on playing a strategy. Wining or losing any individual hand means very little, and people that adjust what their doing every hand and play inconsistently wind up worse than those that know their plan and generally stick too it. Having the best long term plan produces the best resaults. That's what defines a strategy game.

Chess is actually primarily tactical, and as such is kind of a bad example of a pure strategy game. In chess you often adapt to your opponents move and try to predict their responses and you can change your general strategy in the course of a game but the win or lose comes down to the individual moves more than general strategies. You might play opening gambits and have general rules of thumb you stick too, but you win or lose based on individual moves and foresight.

Poker is another example of a tactical game, where general strategies (like a hold'em 7 2 off suit fold) are good but take the back seat to your plan for that hand. Playing an individual hand right can make or break you and if you do the same thing all the time you're going to be broke...

Strategy is 'where will we be 100 rounds from now' and tactics is 'what are we doing in the next 5 turns to get there'. Because Civ is strategic, good long term planning resulting in more production and tech should generally trump a few smart moves in any given war.

What happens to all your claims about Chess if 10 times as many pieces are in play, on a board 10 times as big, and maybe with multiple opponents as well?

Then, aside from the number of opponents, you get Go. A game which I pointed out in another post is no more strategically complex than chess. It allows a lot more diversity in initial strategy selection, but during play it has exactly the same considerations of which pieces threaten which, where to press an attack and so forth.

You seem to be saying you prefer the small, compact decisions of Chess. Well that's not Civ. It's a big game with arguably too much flexibility. Managing all that muck and staying focused on an objective could very well be the acumen of skill in the genre.

It's not an issue of complexity, it comes back to those two elements of strategy I mentioned. Only one - execution of your own strategy - is something you can influence in Civ; options to limit or deny opponents' strategies are very limited. I haven't dwelled on the first, but I completely agree that there can be sophisticated decision-making involved. The issue is that it is not decision-making that leads to a dynamic, strategic game, something that requires the opposing sides to be able to interact with and interfere with one another's play.

Take an example from the point in a Civ game I reached yesterday - it happens to be Civ V, but the same would apply in a similar situation in other Civ games (minus the crater).

Before shutting down for the evening, I'd researched Iron Working. Two sources of iron are available that I know about and are in reach; I had none in my own territory. Neither is in very good city locations - one is in the middle of tundra, the other is in a grassland with no surrounding production tiles and cities to all sides.

If I go for the tundra, I also gain access to the Barringer Crater, and this is a 'safe expand' - however it is also some way from my empire and the iron will not immediately be within my main borders, so I won't be able to produce Swordsmen or Catapults until I buy or expand enough territory to join it to my empire.

If I go for the grassland, I'm in a site which is surrounded by Orleans, Troyes, and Copenhagen. I was recently at war with the Danish, and a primary reason for settling this site would be to deny them the iron. However, it is right on a border, it will likely prompt a resumption of the war as soon as the peace treaty expires, and since I don't yet have any iron I need to weigh the advantages of denying it to my opponent vs. making sure my own supply is secure and not at risk of interruption from being pillaged (they are Vikings, after all) if the Danes were to break through my defences.

Longer-term I also have to consider that the resource-denial approach will give me a city which will (in all probability) ended up surrounded by three larger cities of my own, with no opportunity to expand that doesn't interfere with the production of these sites. So while it's more convenient in the short term, it may not be as good a long-term investment as the tundra city, which apart from anything else has that attractive research-boosting crater.

I also need to factor in my opponent. The Danes are not, currently, a threat. Their army was destroyed; they sued for peace giving me their gold and resources once I stepped within Copenhagen's borders, and so they won't be spamming Spearmen any time soon. When I last scouted they had only two cities (I'll have five with the new settlement), and they have a smaller area of the island in which to expand. A Swordsman or two is unlikely to turn the tide, probably even if they get to Steel and can produce Berserkers. I also have to consider whether the denial will even work; can they get iron from a city-state or another civ I haven't encountered? Do AIs even play that way? So resource denial in this context may take a low priority. Also, of course, Civ V specifically adds the additional consideration that each iron resource may provide different amounts of iron (I didn't check before logging off since my settler was still under construction), and that may influence my decision as well.

Of course, I could take both sites, but since I want Copenhagen and I'm out of trading partners with luxuries I don't have, I don't want the happiness hit of two new cities too fast, let alone the culture hit to my policy progression. So a trade-off is forced.

Are all of these strategic decisions? Very much so - in the sense of 'how to I best execute my own strategic objective?' (the current objective being the eventual elimination of or defence against Denmark, allowing me to pursue my cultural victory in peace).

Are they strategic decisions in the second sense I mention, of allowing me to deny or derail my opponent's strategy? Only marginally. Even though I'm weighing denying a resource to my opponent, that's not something that will affect his strategy; I don't, in fact, know what victory condition Denmark is going for or their approach to achieving it, but unless they're banking on winning a domination victory in the Medieval period, iron won't help them. Moreover I'm in the position to make the decision in the first place because I'm already stronger than them and have de facto control of the iron (and a spearman sitting on it) at the moment, so their victory is unlikely whatever I do. Ultimately it's another case of having a strategic opportunity afforded to me by a weaker opponent. I'm weighing denying them the resource to protect myself or make it easier for me to steamroll them. You only need to look at the differences in complexity between the two forms of strategy - several paragraphs weighing how best to achieve my objective without interference, and half a sentence ("make it easier for me to steamroll them") that even considers the way it helps in my interactions with a rival player.

Have you considered that you don't see the ability to derail an opponent in Civ is because you don't understand the AI's objectives enough and the AI is not hard enough for that to be reliant?

There are plenty of ways to derail opponents in civ, too many probably, actively ignoring them and trivializing the few you almost understand doesn't negate that.

Moreover, being able to stop someone else's strategy is NOT a valid criteria for a strategy game. Strategy is long term planning and goal setting weather you're in a conflict or not. Strategy doesn't even have to be a competition. You can even have 1 player or solo strategy games as far as that goes. Sim City is a strategy game by the true definition of the word.

Better planning = win. This game revolves around strategy. Better adaptation and reaction = win. This game revolves around Tactics.

You also seem to be muddling this whole thing with the luck\skill distinction. Chess is nice because its a game of pure skill, no random factors. Roulette is a game of pure chance, no skill will help. Civ is a game of chance and skill. That doesn't mean its not strategic.

All right, I'm going to try to cut this down and go point by point... It's still going to be longer than this topic warrants though.

False. If opponents have equivalent skills you can't wonder spam, you can't count on just out teaching them, and you can't count on being able to arbitrarily settle anywhere.

Which is precisely my point. Remember that I mentioned these very things in the context that these are the only options Civ allows for interacting with other players, and I've stressed repeatedly that such options are limited. Also, of course, having read the below you'll have seen that wonder-spam and settling everywhere are not actually things I argued.

Most of your previous argument was that Civ didn't have strategy because you could just win...

Again, false. In fact it's critical to my point that Civ has strategy - specifically, it has optimal strategies. My point is that Civ doesn't have strategic play, which is a distinct issue - see my earlier points 1 and 2 again. Also see my most recent post, which details one example of the sorts of strategy Civ allows. It can, indeed, be very complex in terms of how you select and execute specific elements of a strategy (such as whether to grab iron you need for yourself to allow you to produce iron-hungry units, or deny it to an opponent to bolster your security). But once settled on, there's no dynamic - there's nothing an opponent can do to meaningfully interfere with your strategy, and correspondingly very little of your own decision-making is influenced by their strategy, the essence of strategic play.

Your next few paragraphs can be summed up that 'random elements in a game mean it's not strategic' This is a false assertion.

It is a false assertion, and one I didn't make. The random elements in question I presume referring to the 'does he have limited uranium or not' example. A game is not strategic if it *relies* on those random elements in order to offer strategy. Look at the example I detailed about my iron situation with Denmark, for example. This only arose because of a specific arrangement of iron in the landscape that is strategically unusual - sources both in otherwise unattractive locations, and the absence of iron within my existing borders forces a decision I wouldn't otherwise have any need to make. If any of those variables were different, it's not a case that I would need to adopt a different strategy, it's a case of no strategy being involved - if the Danes weren't close to one of the only sources of iron, or if they already had iron within their borders, denial is irrelevant. If either site was attractive for settlement, the choice between them becomes obvious. If the 'tundra site' were closer, I wouldn't need to weigh the pros and cons of going for a source I'd need to connect to my empire vs. just expanding. If the iron were in my borders to begin with, there's no decision-making needed at all.

So not only does randomness dictate whether or not you even need to apply strategic thinking, it's a more important consideration than deterministic factors such as what my opponent's doing (my relative state of power vs. the Danes, their intentions and their tech level would all be irrelevant given any of the above differences in the scenario), and on top of that the probability of getting a situation randomly where you are forced to act strategically is somewhat lower than the probability of getting an easy ride, given the number of alternative scenarios in which no strategy is required and the very specific situations in which it is.

Having a game where good strategy does not always win does not mean it is not a strategy game

As above, it's my entire case that the *issue* with Civ games is that the optimal strategy does always win. The problem randomness introduces is that it allows generally bad strategies to win that wouldn't work in any other context. As I said as an analogy with this very case, playing chess with a strategy based on hoping your opponent won't spot threats to his pieces (which is very common among inexperienced players) is bad strategy. But on those occasions where the opponent does miss it, it wins games. This is the situation Civ presents, except that what determines victory or defeat isn't whether the opponent is bad so much as whether they're unlucky enough to have only one, hard-to-defend source of a key resource. Moreover, as I've stressed already, that only even works if you have a lead to begin with - as in my example with the Danes, I can decide whether to deny them iron only because I'm already in a superior position, a consequence of having more cities, more units, more gold to buy units, faster tech progression...

It's the exact feedback I've pointed out is a weakness in Civ games strategically; I don't need to make any tradeoffs between producing units or producing the Oracle at this point, as now that I'm ahead there's essentially nothing Harald can do about it. Did I get into that position because I played an inherently superior strategy? No doubt at least partly - I expanded while he didn't, and at the same time he doesn't seem to have developed his capital any more than I have my own. Did I get into that position because I responded effectively to his strategy and outplayed him? Hardly - I just expanded early and produced units whenever I didn't need another settler/worker/building, exactly as I would pursuing the same strategy in any Civ game, completely irrespective of his plans.

Presuming absolutely equal skill Chess is always a stalemate.

Not true unless both players also play absolutely the same strategy. If this were true, then chess would be so deterministic that the player with greater skill would win every time - which doesn't happen. Two players can be equally skilled and still play in ways their opponent won't anticipate, and that reasonably skilled players won't necessarily anticipate (whereas you don't need to be 'reasonably skilled' to know that if you have only one source of uranium, it's a target worth defending).

No, YOU will do the same thing over and over because that is YOUR strategy. That doesn't mean there is no strategic decision making, it just means you play the same way every time.

The point is that you CAN play the same way every time, and if you do you will end up with the same result every time. That's the underlying issue, not whether you could also do something else. In that link that didn't work I distinguished between strategic diversity and strategic complexity. It's not strategically complex to be able to do two things that achieve the same result. It's also not strategically complex to be able to do one of those things and *always* achieve the same result, irrespective of what your opponent is planning or how they respond. In an FPS you could go for a sniper rifle or a rocket launcher, depending on personal preference - but that doesn't add any strategic depth if all you do with either weapon is use it exactly the same way every time. Fundamentally this is why such things as FPSes, World of Warcraft, and however many other games there are out there that offer players lots of options but no depth to any of them are not considered strategy games.

I might not care if a neighbor has copper if I don't plan on warring with them and they arnt' disposed to attack me. The Gems on the other side of me may be more appealing, or a nice, totally difffernet city site for developing more Hammers or commerce. Or heck, I might want some Marble.

Just because you play like a machine don't mean there is no strategy.

If it's an approach that can consisently win, it rather does.

And the kicker is that even if that WAS the only viable strategy, it would still be a strategy. Back to BlackJack, there is really only one viable basic strategy, but its still a game of strategy. You either play right or you lose more often.

This ties into exactly my point above - Operation Overlord may have been the only viable strategy for the Normandy invasion, for example. It could still have failed if it wasn't planned and executed in a way that anticipated and responded to specific threats. It was the mark of good strategy not because there were other options that could have been chosen instead (strategic diversity), or because it was the optimal strategy that was destined to work no matter what (which is my primary argument about Civ strategy), but because it was a good strategy that could nevertheless have failed if it didn't anticipate potential counters and respond appropriately.

And did you realize I'm criticizing YOU for basing your assumptions about civ around playing an inferior player, I'm generally not talking about playing inferior players myself?

I both realised and rebutted that criticism, yes. As for talking about playing inferior players yourself, you've been assuming you're playing the AI. The AI, as you've pointed out yourself, is unable to play strategically. It is inherently an inferior player of a strategy game, however many handicaps it's given. Moreover every one of your own scenarios falls foul of the assumption you accused me of making: unlimited resources. You're assuming victory in the situations you present, which relies either on a lack of defence by your opponent, or that you have sufficiently unlimited production, equivalent or higher tech, and uncontested access to uranium and other key resources yourself, that you can win any conflict over a capital or key resource. Which once again carries the implicit assumption of inferior play on your opponent's part.

Lets cut to the chase, do you have any idea what a strategy is? Do you understand that in any set of circumstances there will be optimal strategies? Do you understand the existence of sub-optimal strategies does not mean that a game is 'not strategic'?

A more relevant question would be "Do you understand the argument I'm actually making?" Yes, there will be optimal strategies in any set of circumstances - those circumstances including "the absence of effective means to counter those strategies". This is the fundamental problem; nowhere have I argued that Civ doesn't offer strategies, or even that it isn't complex - see my previous post discussing a fairly complex application of strategy in Civ. The defining point is the lack of strategic *play*, the very limited sanctions that exist to interact with and respond to other strategies, and the result that, with only minor variations, the same optimal strategy will always be optimal regardless of context. Your best counter to that has been to indicate that you can shut down a route to cultural victory that is overreliant on a single wonder, and even characterise that yourself as a play by "cretin AIs" - so you have a limited ability to interfere with an opponent's strategy if that strategy is highly specific and your opponent is very stupid. This really doesn't do wonders to help your case.

No, all I said was that if you do that you're playing strategically. I said nothing about what level that strategy was on. All I've been doing with this whole thread is countering your silly assertion that Civ is not a strategy game. It demonstratively and obviously is, and is a great deal more complex and difficult than many that exist. Either way, humans can be beat by uranium denial, and the uranium denial strategy can be beat via banning nukes, or simply defending uranium too well, or having alternate sources, or random uranium spawns. Its not a no brainier against a good human. Hence its a strategic option. It just happens to be a generally good option.

It's not an option against a good human - leaving aside, again, that two of your four examples of cases where it works rely, again, on partial or complete random chance (alternate sources and uranium spawns), and another relies on having sufficient control of the game to pass UN resolutions (and hence already having an advantage), how are you defining a "good human player" if you're suggesting that a good human player might not defend his uranium? This seems akin to saying that in Starcraft 6-pool is a viable strategy against a good human player who doesn't defend his base. It's part of the definition of good play that you *do* defend your resources.

No, early production sacrifices early growth. There is a tradeoff. If you knew the AI did not want that wonder you could grow more and grab it right when you needed it rather than rushing too it. Grow more and get it 20 turns later, or grow much less to get it right away? There will be a tradeoff there, and knowing what your opponent wants is the deciding factor in that.

Isn't that exactly what I said? My point was you don't rush it because you know your opponent is likely to - if you need it and you're unaware of your opponent's intentions, you'll rush it because you can't take the chance. It's only in those cases where you know for sure that he's *not* going for it that you'll delay it.

Actually, those mischaracterizations where not assumptions, they where hyperbole meant to mock how you ignored the opportunity cost in each of the presented situations.

The flaw in that being that the mockery relies on the assumption that I was ignoring this opportunity cost ... which only holds up if you assume that the hyperbole itself is an accurate characterisation.

I'm sensing again that you missed the key point of my case, which is not that you don't make strategic decisions, but that you don't make strategic decisions *informed by what your opponent is doing, as a targeted response to another strategy*. Again see my Denmark/iron case study. If I choose to take the cost of denying a resource instead of settling one I need, that's a decision I make about how best to execute my strategy - my original point 1, which I conceded right at the start is the element of strategy Civilization offers in abundance. It's not, however, a decision that is influenced much by a need to respond to a specific enemy threat or strategy outside rather limited situations (such as your own example of the Sistine Chapel, given foreknowledge that the AI relies on it for cultural victory).

That never was one of my assumptions... You just made an assumption about what my assumptions where, sadly enough. What does it matter if such and such thing can't be done vs an equal opponent in equal situations? Like I said, perfect equals in Chess means a stalemate, no strategy works in Chess with total and perfect equals.

Another problematic assumption, I'm afraid, as detailed above. It matters if *no* strategy can be successfully used to interfere with an equally skilled opponent's strategy. So long as you're arguing that Civilization offers the ability to interfere with and respond to other players' strategies, and are relying for your case on examples of play that don't work against equally skilled opponents, then plainly whether you realise it or not you're implicitly assuming a weaker opponent.

But as far as it goes, most of what I've said CAN happen in Civ IV with equal opponents. Civ IV had collateral damage, if a strategic resource is on a boarder even a good human can't effectively defend it vs a well made stack with siege taking it on the turn of the DoW.

Which again surely comes down to a combination of randomness (where the resource is located, particularly if it's a late-game resource whose location you don't know when first settling cities) and/or poor play from an opponent (if they do have foreknowledge of where the resource is, and don't either settle sites that will prevent other civs from forming a border there, or emphasising culture production in that city to expand their borders further from the contested resource).

Wait, did you just say a game should have strategy to do something other than its main objective? What? You're strategy should be to END THE GAME WITH YOU AS THE VICTOR. Chess certainly doesn't have a separate objective than that. It only has one victory condition too, so you must find it quite shallow.

Once again, go back to my points 1 and 2:

1. The strategy you plan to execute to meet your win condition and your plans for executing it.

2. Preventing your opponent from meeting their win condition, relying on knowledge of their strategy and approach, and on formulating appropriate responses.

"Win the game" is not a strategic response to an opponent's effort to win the game - it's what you achieve as a result of your strategic play (i.e. response and denial) on the way to that goal.

And chess strategy relies on your opponent letting you take their pieces.

I think you need more experience with chess before commenting on it. The way the game works, any piece in the right position can take any other. Each player defends their pieces, responding to a new threat with an additional defender, and only moving between squares that are already defended unless it's to secure an enemy piece - in full knowledge that that piece is then itself under threat. The game doesn't revolve around "letting" the other player take your pieces, it revolves around choosing which pieces to sacrifice when in order to gain an advantage, since once defences are up any play by either player is likely to result in both the attacker and defender being lost. This can be summed up as, in your words, "MAKING THINGS HAPPEN despite your opponent opposing you".

No, once again, Civ IV strategy relies on you MAKING THINGS HAPPEN despite your opponent opposing you.

Once again, the problem is that it doesn't, and you've yet to provide any compelling example - either from gameplay or simply in the way the mechanics work - that actually allow you to do this against an opponent who isn't already at a disadvantage. Your opponent can't do anything substantial to oppose you for all the reasons I've given, and so your own strategy isn't reliant on defending against specific opposing plays. At best you can prepare generically to defend, as you will if you need to protect a key resource or city, but that's not a specific response to any particular opponent's play or overall strategy.

Weather you're playing poor AI, a poor human opponent, or a good human opponent, it relies on your strategy beating theirs. That is what a strategy game is.

Which rather makes my case for describing Civ as not being priimarily a strategy game. Yes, there are strategies that are better than others, and players using them will have more success. But once you've plateaued at the best strategies, these are always the best strategies, regardless of context.

The situation you describe has either both players doing it, making a stalemate (something civ doesn't have) or having one player doing it and destroying the other.

This kind of defence can be set up while still allowing pieces to put pressure on the opposing king (every piece you force to defend their king is one less they can use to attack yours, freeing up another of your own defenders to go on the offensive, and so forth), so it's not a static game of turtle I'm describing, or an inevitable stalemate - it's a play that can deny victory to your opponent while still being used offensively.

The thing is adding more logical checks doesn't mean the AI is smarter or more strategic. It just means its decision making is less fluid.

I think that's exactly my point...

As can any strategy if not properly executed, including tall ones.

Key word highlighted. I never said that a well played wide strategy always beat the tall one in Civ IV, it doesn't

No you didn't, that was my contention. And from the below, again I think we're at odds in how 'tall' and 'wide' are being defined here. I'm making the simple case that more cities are better than fewer cities, as a universal of Civ. I'm not saying that spamming the map in a given era, or across the game as a whole, is inherently superior regardless of context; however while spamming the map may not be, more vs. fewer cities is. Again it comes down to the qualifier "properly executed" - it's the proper execution that determines when in the game you need to tech up, when you need to expand more, however again once these solutions are reached, they're invariate.

As in your below example, if you're playing in the classical era against an equal opponent, teching up during that period of the game is the optimal strategy. Over the course of the game as a whole, rather than a snapshot, however, you'll be playing for more rather than fewer cities and doing so in much the same way with much the same results against equivalently skilled opponents - you say yourself below that you will tech up "before expanding". The fact that you will then expand is a constant irrespective of context. It's this lack of dynamism in strategic play that is the basis for my case.

You understand it right. As far as I'd heard in civ V you could ICS since pop gave science directly and you could build happy buildings that affected the whole empire. Having a 1 pop hobo town with lots of happy buildings actually helped the empire more than it hurt it. Settling tundra in Civ IV would often be a liability, and never an asset until late game (with corps or something).

I came to Civ V post patches, so I don't know what controls were added since, but even those complaining about Civ V ICS originally note that it's not currently a viable option. There are different mechanical limitations - happiness is certainly one, since past a certain level of tradeable luxuries you have to rely largely on happiness buildings, and you need two happiness buildings to offset the happiness hit from one new city, notwithstanding happiness hits from population (and as you note, pop gives science directly, so depressing population size in your cities to maximise expansion is not workable - one city with pop 1 gives you -4 happiness for +2 science. One city with pop 4 gives you -4 happiness for +8 science). Additionally, and I think its impact on the game is generally unappreciated here, now you can work any tile within a city radius. This means that any new city within your existing borders is going to be competing for tiles to work, limiting your ability to choose its production while at the same time giving you less benefit from having more cities rather than fewer.

Setting a city in tundra in Civ V is a liability as well, due to paucity of resources and food (and in my experience tundra tiles aren't often near rivers, so you can't build water mills). And as above every city has a happiness cost, so you won't want one in an unproductive area if you can avoid it, any more than you'll want to foot the maintenance costs of a bad city in Civ IV.

I've seen people arguing that city placement is less important in Civ V, but I don't really understand the objection and suspect it comes mainly from people without a great deal of Civ V experience. There's the "luxuries all do the same thing" case - which is true on paper (except, of course, that as ever they give different resource bonuses to the title they're found on), however now that each resource gives a one-off bonus, it becomes important contextually. If I've got dyes, do I want to expand to get sugar, or to get more dyes that I can trade for something else? The new We Love The King Day condition plays well with this - if Paris wants spices, and the Americans have spices to offer but no dyes of their own, I might want to settle the site near dyes for a short-term gain as well as securing a long-term trade good that I can then reuse to trade for whatever another of my cities demands later. I might be able to trade that sugar for spices, but that will give me no net happiness gain and, anyway, only America has spices and they've already got sugar. etc. etc. Then there's the strategic resource cap; do you want an accessible low-yield resource, or a more distant one that will give you 4 iron rather than 2?

And the different terrain types still do essentially the same things; individual tile resource yields are lower, but as above you can work all of your tiles, and so you need to think about city location beyond the old city radius - okay, so that area gives me good resources. But everything beyond that is useless mountains; I could settle it defensively, but due to low yields per tile I'm looking at a city with little potential for long-term growth.

And Culture Can be won in CivIV with three cities, in fact three cities with many religions is as good as nine with one or two. Though it is weaker to have only three.

Precisely my point. It's always weaker. Doable, but there is always one optimal strategy if you want to select the best way of winning reliably - and it's always the same one.

So, chess doesn't have fog of war or espionage sliders. You understand a game can be strategic and be different from chess right?

You clipped the preceding comment that gave specific context to this point - it's not that doing something your opponent doesn't see per se is bad strategy. It's that in chess specifically, relying on a strategy that only works if your opponent doesn't see it is bad strategy. Starcraft has the fog of war, and exactly the same can be said there - going for a 'cheese' rush in the expectation that your opponent won't know it's coming, if you haven't established for sure that he's not anticipating it, is bad strategy - doing so in the hopes of pulling it off every game is certainly bad strategy. The comparison being with such examples as rushing a culture city/capital/uranium tile, which only work if the opponent is careless or inexperienced.

Uh, no. U.N. Sanctions are still there :).

Which rely either on you and your trustworthy allies having a majority (which comes back to a point I made that if you're in control of one aspect of the game, you're generally in control of all of them), or on everyone else wanting to ban nuclear weapons for their own purposes (and if the guy with the uranium wants to ban nuclear weapons, it's not likely that denying it would serve any purpose to begin with).

The last was apparently too long for one post.

And considering thats an endgame example, I'd say that a chess game where you've lost all your key pieces and have only three pawns to compete with their queen and rook and they are a half competent player you lack the sanctions to influence the outcome of the game. That IS true in a game of chess.

I'd agree with that. However, in chess this is an example specific to the endgame. In Civilization it is not. The specific example is of a late game resource, but the point is relevant to any point in the game - again, look at my example re the Danish. It's entirely withiin my control whether or not I deny them iron. There's nothing they can do about it. And it's entirely contingent on my goals, independent of what they could or decide to do, or what their strategy is, whether I do so. It's a strategic opportunity I only have because I'm already in a dominant position against a weaker opponent. If the situation were reversed, and they had iron and I needed to deny it so that I could compete with them militarily, I would have no way of doing so; they would have the stronger army, the iron would be under the control of their capital, which they would defend - and they would probably be forcing my own forces to defend a push on Orleans or Troyes.

So far as I can tell your main arguments are:

All of which are at to some extent mischaracterised, but I'll roll with it for the sake of the example.

Randomness precludes strategy.

An aside rather than a 'main argument', responding to a specific example you raised. And consequently not a general point. Randomness per se does not preclude strategy. What precludes strategy is when your ability to make strategic decisions - rather than just the decision you choose - is dictated by random events. If the only iron for miles around is within my borders, it's hardly a strategic decision to develop it. It only becomes a strategic decision if the available sources are contested, or present multiple alternatives to choose between. By contrast if you're about to fight a battle, you still have to decide how to fight the battle whether it's raining or dry - the random event determines what you decide, not whether there's a decision to be made in the first place.

The existence of generally optimal strategies paradoxically makes something not strategic.

This is close to my main point, although I'm not sure why you would consider it 'paradoxical'. It's a generally optimal strategy in World of Warcraft to develop your character to high levels and obtain special items. Does that by default make World of Warcraft strategic? Even when there exist suboptiimal strategies such as giving him common, cheap weapons and armour instead?

What defines strategy is context. Assaults from a beach landing worked in the context of Operation Overlord, but failed in the context of Gallipoli. One anticipated and responded appropriately to enemy countermeasures, the other did not. In game terms, strategic play requires the ability to counter otherwise optimal strategies, to force play that responds and adapts to opponents' plays. Again take World of Warcraft, a game that offers you differences in strategy in what class you select, how you level up your character, what items to give him, and so on and so forth. What it doesn't offer is any option to respond to an opponent's strategy in a meaningful way - you won't go with a particular set of kit in order to counter the fact that another player went for a specific type of kit himself; sure if you know you're going to fight him you might select a damage type you know he's weak against, but that's as far as the very limited strategy on offer goes.

My central argument has been that this is essentially true in Civilization as well; that you can't respond in meaningful ways to deny an opponent's strategy or force him to adapt, and that because of this - and because Civ games play in a way in which dominance in one field (such as science) is typically linked to dominance in all others - once a player is in the lead, he will stay in the lead. There is no dynamism to Civ's gameplay, it's all about how you execute your strategy more or less in isolation.

Equality in skill negating counterable strategies somehow makes a game non strategic.

A strategic game should enable equal players equal prospects of victory. As above, once someone gets ahead in Civ for whatever reason, an equally skilled player has no real sanction that will allow them to reclaim the game. Sure, every counterstrategy should have its own counter, but none of your examples, and none I can think of myself, work at all given even moderately good play. There's a difference between a counter that a good player may not anticipate, and something that only works at all against inexperienced or sloppy players - again, like the Starcraft player who won't defend his base correctly.

Reading further, I suspect we may be up against a simple clash of semantics. My key argument, as I noted, was the lack of dynamism allowed by Civ and the resulting existence of fixed optimal strategies. You now appear to be saying that you broadly agree with at least this latter.

The remaining question merely seems to be "how are you defining a strategy game?" Any game, including such examples above as first person shooters and World of Warcraft, can be said to involve strategy to some degree; many have "set, optimal strategies". They are not usually referred to as 'strategy games'. Moreover, the depth of play per se is not what warrants the 'strategy game' label - it's a genre description, not a description of intellectual rigour. A complex crossword can be intellectually challenging to solve and undeniably has a single optimal strategy (get all the answers right), and even strategic decision-making in the form of deciding which answers to shoot for first in order to give you the best chance of correctly answering subsequent questions. Also not a strategy game. In this very thread, having previously described Civ as "not a particularly good strategy game", I gave a specific case study detailing complex strategic decision-making it demands in one context. Not all games involving strategy are strategy games any more than all music sung by folk is folk music. Similarly, I've never heard your favoured example blackjack described as a strategy game.

Chess is actually primarily tactical, and as such is kind of a bad example of a pure strategy game. In chess you often adapt to your opponents move and try to predict their responses and you can change your general strategy in the course of a game but the win or lose comes down to the individual moves more than general strategies. You might play opening gambits and have general rules of thumb you stick too, but you win or lose based on individual moves and foresight.

Tactics is slightly different again. Tactics are the moves you make towards executing a strategy, which is certainly of key importance in chess. However, decisions that require adapting your strategy to respond to particular threats are strategic, not tactical, in nature. If your strategy involves exchanging queens, moving your pieces to threaten the opponent's queen while protecting yours is tactical. If the opponent then denies the exchange by moving the queen out of danger rather than taking yours, adapting to that new situation is strategic - and the specific moves you make to execute your new strategic direction, tactical. To go back to my Denmark example, whichever decision I choose to make will be strategic. That's the case whether the decision is one that will take a resource the Danes could claim or one that's irrelevant to them, illustrating how artificial it is to distinguish 'strategy' from 'tactics' on the basis of whether or not one involves responding to your opponent, as you appear to suggest. By contrast, the route I send my settler along, whether I send it with an escort etc., will be tactical, once I've decided his destination.

This is a fine but key distinction in the context of my discussion of Civ strategy, and more complex than your characterisation of strategy as long-term and tactics as short-term. Tactically in Civ, you can adjust the way you stack your units or the tiles you place them on relative to the enemy to help win a war - but it's a strategic question whether that war will achieve any broader objective in terms of denying your opponent's strategy or facilitating yours. This is the case whether the war lasts for 5 turns or 100.

Have you considered that you don't see the ability to derail an opponent in Civ is because you don't understand the AI's objectives enough and the AI is not hard enough for that to be reliant?

It's not an issue of skill - I'm not very good at Starcraft, however being familiar with the game and its mechanics, it's straightforward enough to identify ways in which a player can overcome a skilled opponent by selecting the right counters to their units at the right time, selecting the right times to exert pressure themselves and so forth. If playing well strategically in Starcraft relied on opponents neglecting to defend their workers or base, and was impossible against players who did mount a defence, I would level similar criticisms at that game.

And being familiar with the game and routes to victory in Civ only emphasises personal experience that there simply aren't mechanisms in place in the Civ series to permit this kind of interactive play. You yourself have so far been unable to give general examples of mechanics that permit this kind of play, and your specific case studies rely on weak play or very specific strategies that you defeat mainly through foreknowledge (based on past games) of a stereotyped AI strategy that is unable to adapt to losing, in this instance, the Sistine Chapel.

There are plenty of ways to derail opponents in civ, too many probably, actively ignoring them and trivializing the few you almost understand doesn't negate that.

Failing to describe any and trivialising criticisms of the few examples you gave doesn't demonstrate it.

Moreover, being able to stop someone else's strategy is NOT a valid criteria for a strategy game. Strategy is long term planning and goal setting weather you're in a conflict or not. Strategy doesn't even have to be a competition. You can even have 1 player or solo strategy games as far as that goes. Sim City is a strategy game by the true definition of the word.

Again we seem to be running into semantics. "Strategy game" defines a specific genre, not just "games with strategy", in the same way that 'blues' is a specific genre of music rather than a catch-all description of songs with melancholy themes. However, having said that your above (and below) definitions reflect an artificial distinction. In the same way I asked "how do you define a good player as one who lets you grab his uranium?" I can ask "What defines a 'better' plan, if an ability to adapt and react isn't part of planning?"

Moderator Action: Please no further derailment of this thread.
If you want to talk about strategy vs. tactics, then create your own thread please.

We are definitively running into semantics, wording, lots of wording, wording wording wording.

Please create your own thread about strategy. I am sure many will follow you into it to "debate" countless hours about how much strategic depth civ5 has.

No offense, nothing personal. I just can't stand it anymore, and I don't have another place to go to share my frustrations with the few that share that feeling with me: frustration. This thread was created to RANT, so that we don't bother the ones that feel happy and do not see any failing in this new "gem". We have been cornered here. This is our only place. Respect that, please.

Please leave. With all due respect.

Thanks.

@ Phil,

Send me a link if this gets picked up elsewhere.

@ Aristos,

I could use a good civ V rant, thanks for that.

I play Civ IV and III multiplayer quite a bit, and out of the the people I play with the only three guys that love Civ V are the ones that are pretty terrible at civ in general. Crushing their vain hopes at monarch when they're playing warlord isn't out of the question, even with a bad start. Insane AI doesn't bother them, because they play on levels with enough bonuses not to care. Broken elements of the games strategy doesn't bother them, because they arn't the type of player to figure out any kind of strategy. Civ V seems like an 'attract players with shiny new features and don't care about anything else' kind of game.

I also get really sick of the 'this happens with every civ game therefore people that don't like it are wrong argument.' I've been playing since Civ II, and I can remember each Civ game coming in. I welcomed III pretty dang warmly, I felt elements like actual boarders where something the series really needed. I thought they weren't necessarily implemented well, but they weren't broken either. I disliked IV at the start by virtue of its terrible, terrible, DRM. I suppose vanilla might have been bad, but I wouldn't know as I didn't start it till warlords. I found it quite different than III, but different isn't bad.

I don't like V by virtue of its DRM choice, and its not likely that one ever change. I'm glad that it had the bad DRM though, because the more I read about it the more it seems like the screwed up key game elements. Random\insane AI is not something I'd ever like to play against.

I agree with Sulla that at low level play an inexperienced player like myself will be challenged and have fun. I would like to become more experienced and be able to win at higher levels... this was a very satisfying and addictive aspect of my progression in Civ IV.

From what I am hearing and seeing in the game reports, the road to success at higher levels in Civ V is to do stuff that I feel is abusive (luring gold out of stupid AI). Yes, I'd still feel like it would be an accomplishment to be able to win at high levels in Civ V... but I fear that doing so will only ruin my enjoyment of the game. Sort of like Super Mario... once you've saved the princess once, you don't go back to the game and enjoy the thrill of doing it again and again.

So maybe I'm better off stinking at the game and enjoying it than being good at it and being bored with it?

Civ IV gives me both the feeling of accomplishment having reached the highest levels, while still wanting to go back and do it again and again, because each game is unique. Can Civ V deliver in that same way? I don't think so. But I guess since I still stink at it I shouldn't complain too much... its still fun (though by playing maybe 2 games a month I already have the feeling that each game plays very much the same way).

In any case, I think both the fans of Civ V and the detractors have valid arguments. It could (should) have been a more compelling game like other Civ games were, but it is what it is... and outside the Civ franchise context is still a fairly decent game in its own right, though not the game that Civ fans had waited so long for - a big disappointment for us.

One of my fav features from warlords/BTS was removed- vassals. And the arguments that people in the 'is Civ V dumbed down' thread make is that vassals were present in the first EP of IV, so it should be included in the EP for V. Hell man, the guys making IV didn't have a time machine to go to the release of Warlords, but developers of V did have a copy of Warlords.

None of the games of this genre are exceptionally strategic or tactical or are blessed with an incredible AI. One should admit, that even Civ4 is far inferior to chess in its strategical content if we think of good strategy as a function of logics, algorythmical and mathematical thinking. And any game which defines a set of rules can be challenging in its own set of rules and mechanics even if these are far fetched and pointless. So one can always creata a challenge for himself even within the lamest of so called computer strategy games. Many fans, however, try to defend Civ5 according to its potential level of challenge, which discussion goes off too generic and philosophical, and ofcourse there aint a winner here because Civ4 superiority lies not in its challenge but in its enjoyment factor and high level of replayability. Simply put: Civ5 is boring, while Civ4 is not. And the AI is quite a secondary factor, because it is not the AI which made civ1 and civ4 such a memorable game. And I do believe that the boring and unappealing nature of Civ5 is an objective phenomenon. Most of Civ5 fans here did admit, that they play the game casually, and after a time it definetly gets boring. Civ4 never got boring, or at least not this rapidly. Its like the soul of the game has been torn out. I dont want to repeat myself, but the reason for this "emptiness" are many bad individual design decisions like 1UPT (on the map itself), global happiness, puppeting, City States etc. All of these are badly implemented and some of these are simply a bad idea in general.

One of my fav features from warlords/BTS was removed- vassals. And the arguments that people in the 'is Civ V dumbed down' thread make is that vassals were present in the first EP of IV, so it should be included in the EP for V. Hell man, the guys making IV didn't have a time machine to go to the release of Warlords, but developers of V did have a copy of Warlords.

Hell, they had an encyclopedia of the franchises's history at their hands, with 20 years of accumulated experience that a professional and humble designer DOES NOT throw away as if it were just... circumstancial. Unless, of course, said designer is not professional and humble.

Yes, I am one of the few that still puts the heavy weight of this failure in little Joni's hands. No need to argue about that though, we just need to wait, because time will tell, and I believe soon enough: whatever he touches at Stardock will show how much responsibility he had in civ5's "disaster" (it is to me, anyways).

Some defenders try to justify the decisions to cut almost everything out of the core gameplay by saying that it was only an "illusion" of depth, and not real. I disagree completely. Even if the AI is not a genius at handling the options (espionage, religions, corporations, deeper diplo relations, etcetcetc), the simple presence of more options gives the game a natural "randomness" that for many hardcore IS the spirit of strategic depth, and is what is lacking in civ5. Simply put, the more options are there to play, win and loose the game, the more unexpected circumstances you have to adapt to while playing, and therefore the more depth you feel, even if it is only an illusion of depth (which it is not).

THAT is what is lacking in 5, and it was a concious decision of the lead designer, about which he even bragged many times (see interviews with him), including the "multi-level AI" that he declared his own son. It is indeed, and as children in real life, speak volumes about their parents.

None of the games of this genre are exceptionally strategic or tactical or are blessed with an incredible AI. One should admit, that even Civ4 is far inferior to chess in its strategical content if we think of good strategy as a function of logics, algorythmical and mathematical thinking. And any game which defines a set of rules can be challenging in its own set of rules and mechanics even if these are far fetched and pointless. So one can always creata a challenge for himself even within the lamest of so called computer strategy games. Many fans, however, try to defend Civ5 according to its potential level of challenge, which discussion goes off too generic and philosophical, and ofcourse there aint a winner here because Civ4 superiority lies not in its challenge but in its enjoyment factor and high level of replayability. Simply put: Civ5 is boring, while Civ4 is not. And the AI is quite a secondary factor, because it is not the AI which made civ1 and civ4 such a memorable game. And I do believe that the boring and unappealing nature of Civ5 is an objective phenomenon. Most of Civ5 fans here did admit, that they play the game casually, and after a time it definetly gets boring. Civ4 never got boring, or at least not this rapidly. Its like the soul of the game has been torn out. I dont want to repeat myself, but the reason for this "emptiness" are many bad individual design decisions like 1UPT (on the map itself), global happiness, puppeting, City States etc. All of these are badly implemented and some of these are simply a bad idea in general.

Quality post, i agree 100%

:rolleyes:

Well since everyone rants or raves about this game I thought I would throw in my two cents from a very simple point. My love is overshadowed by my boredom.

First I have to ask myself what has made this game a great series and addictive in the past?

Answer: Multiple paths with ease of play at ALL stages of the game! "Just one more turn" was the whole object of the game and having the pleasure of being part of how the world developed through history.

How: Military(conquest, specialization, generals), diplomatic(diplomacy screens), espionage(diplomats), trade (caravans), piracy(privateers), revolutions(goverment models), commercial(roads and railroads), Religion(missionaries) There may be more that I have forgotten.

Sadly.... the game lacks most now.

I find the game very boring once the roads are built connecting cities. The world is explored, and my game becomes nothing but a race and an END TURN button press. I find it too boring and tedious moving a dozen units across the world trying organize them to one spot at a specific time and not go off on there own route.

I remember the middle ages of the older games flush with diplomats and caravans trying to get around the world for specific objectives. I remember missionaries trying to convert the world. Something different than always being at war.

Even in the older games I rarely finished them because of "End of Turn" Sickness then too. Nothing to do in the modern era. Corporations were an attempt but still lacked appeal. It felt like I was just sending out more caravans.

Civ4 was by far a more in depth and facinating game. If they could have just put effort in revamping it and adding more mid to late era and end of game variations the game would have been "ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER"

It's more than obvious they developed this game for the console players for market shares. Wasn't it obvious when they released and modified CIV4 in their first attemp. and now offer a lame CIV game on Facebook. WHAT AN INSULT TO THE TRUELY FAITHFUL WHO PAID FOR THIS SERIES FOR 2 DECADES.

It's been over a year now. The game has had some improvements. But adding new civs and a few more wonders and adjustments does not lack for the basic problem.

IT'S BORING ONCE INFANTRY AND ARTILLARY BECOME AVAILABLE.

I do like the "latest save order being sorted now" So I can see just how many games I have saved at the same point of the game and maybe, but never go back to them.

I'ts funny, I can see just how tolerant I was by the turns I have lasted before leaving it and directly look at them in a chronological order now that may reflect my real life sutuation. Maybe I was in a better mood on certain days and went further before hitting the "SAVE, MAIN MENU" buttons again.

MP may be more real and challenging but it is still hard to dedicate 2-3 days with the same people. Almost all MP games are small and quick. This game is still and always will be a single player game to be played at YOUR convenience and on your free time.

Thank You, Thank You Very Much!

Top Bottom