For the first time, an inhabited island has sunk into the watery embrace of Varuna

aneeshm

Deity
Varuna is the sea-god of Vedic mythology.

Link

This is the first time that an island which was inhabited once upon a time has been completely submerged.

Disappearing world: Global warming claims tropical island
For the first time, an inhabited island has disappeared beneath rising seas. Environment Editor Geoffrey Lean reports
Published: 24 December 2006

Rising seas, caused by global warming, have for the first time washed an inhabited island off the face of the Earth. The obliteration of Lohachara island, in India's part of the Sundarbans where the Ganges and the Brahmaputra rivers empty into the Bay of Bengal, marks the moment when one of the most apocalyptic predictions of environmentalists and climate scientists has started coming true.

As the seas continue to swell, they will swallow whole island nations, from the Maldives to the Marshall Islands, inundate vast areas of countries from Bangladesh to Egypt, and submerge parts of scores of coastal cities.

Eight years ago, as exclusively reported in The Independent on Sunday, the first uninhabited islands - in the Pacific atoll nation of Kiribati - vanished beneath the waves. The people of low-lying islands in Vanuatu, also in the Pacific, have been evacuated as a precaution, but the land still juts above the sea. The disappearance of Lohachara, once home to 10,000 people, is unprecedented.

It has been officially recorded in a six-year study of the Sunderbans by researchers at Calcutta's Jadavpur University. So remote is the island that the researchers first learned of its submergence, and that of an uninhabited neighbouring island, Suparibhanga, when they saw they had vanished from satellite pictures.

Two-thirds of nearby populated island Ghoramara has also been permanently inundated. Dr Sugata Hazra, director of the university's School of Oceanographic Studies, says "it is only a matter of some years" before it is swallowed up too. Dr Hazra says there are now a dozen "vanishing islands" in India's part of the delta. The area's 400 tigers are also in danger.

Until now the Carteret Islands off Papua New Guinea were expected to be the first populated ones to disappear, in about eight years' time, but Lohachara has beaten them to the dubious distinction.

Human cost of global warming: Rising seas will soon make 70,000 people homeless

Refugees from the vanished Lohachara island and the disappearing Ghoramara island have fled to Sagar, but this island has already lost 7,500 acres of land to the sea. In all, a dozen islands, home to 70,000 people, are in danger of being submerged by the rising seas.

Worrying, but was always going to happen - global warming or not.

I particuluarly like how the article makes these broad and sweeping authoritiative assumptions about complete bullfeathers. For example, an island dissapiearing beneath the ocean? OMG GLOBAL WARMING US UPON US!!!! Completely rediculous. I suppose that Venice has been fighting a losing battle with the sea for the last 500 years because of those evil Vikings and their gas-burning curraghs.

It's not a sweeping statement.

Global Warming = Warmer temperatures = Melting Ice = Rising Sea levels. We already know that warmer temperatures caused by global warming are causing a lot of ice at the poles to melt, rising the sea levels.

It's not a sweeping statement.

Global Warming = Warmer temperatures = Melting Ice = Rising Sea levels. We already know that warmer temperatures caused by global warming are causing a lot of ice at the poles to melt, rising the sea levels.

Yeah, but if sea levels are rising, they should rise roughly the same amouth in every place in the globe, specially in oceanic coasts, maybe not that much in more protected seas like the mediterranean, but the fact is that we don´t see that rise everywhere, we just see local risings, or rather land sinkings that could be explained by continental drift/earthquakes/other geological phenomena.

Have you ever heard of continental drift?

You're going to blame sinking on the Indian subcontinent on continental drift? I could understand if you did that somewhere else, but in India, that kind of statement is singularly absurd.

What about the Islands in the Carrabian that have been submerged? Indiginous peoples lived on those now sunken islands.

You're going to blame sinking on the Indian subcontinent on continental drift? I could understand if you did that somewhere else, but in India, that kind of statement is singularly absurd.

Explain how its obsurd. Are you privy to some secret of tectonic movement that the rest of us aren't?

*cough*

India is smashing into the Asian Plate. That's why the Himalayas are there. Now, that land is rising; the land directly to the south of it fell a little bit because of subduction, but the amount of subduction is not going to change enough to submerge a Bengali island. Furthermore, the supposition that somehow plates have accelerated in motion to be able to submerge an island from one satellite picture to the next, as described in the article, is also absurd. Plates are billions of tons of rock; they do not speed up and slow down on a whim, and the Ganges Delta has not been sinking significantly until the last century or so; in fact, it was building up prior to that.

Now, to suppose that somehow plate tectonics accounts for a rapid shift in sea level is, as I said above, absurd. The plates do not significantly change rates of movement. These are not rocks, nor even boulders, that can be shifted. This is rock on such a scale that, instead of shattering, it tears, simply due to the immensity of the whole thing. To say that somehow it will speed up through a mysterious mechanism that we don't know, on most of the conveniently low islands in the world, is just ridiculous.

Yeah, but if sea levels are rising, they should rise roughly the same amouth in every place in the globe, specially in oceanic coasts, maybe not that much in more protected seas like the mediterranean, but the fact is that we don´t see that rise everywhere, we just see local risings, or rather land sinkings that could be explained by continental drift/earthquakes/other geological phenomena.

It's not rising everywhere? Whatever gave you that idea? Or is this yet another conservofact you pulled out of your collective butts?

Furthermore, it doesn't rise everywhere by exactly the same amount. It didn't when the sea level rose from the ending of the last ice age, and it's not doing so now either.

Sea level is rising everywhere, and it's been rising faster since the advent of the industrial revolution than it has for the last 8,000 years or so.

I particuluarly like how the article makes these broad and sweeping authoritiative assumptions about complete bullfeathers. For example, an island dissapiearing beneath the ocean? OMG GLOBAL WARMING US UPON US!!!! Completely rediculous. I suppose that Venice has been fighting a losing battle with the sea for the last 500 years because of those evil Vikings and their gas-burning curraghs.

I agree, though given that islands don't usually disappear this way (usually the top is washed away; in this case, the water rose over the top), it's somewhat warranted. Venice, however, is fighting for its existence because the city is too heavy, though of course global warming only makes it worse.

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything? Plate tectonics (from whitch continental drift evolved into) just goes too slowly to produce these kinds of sea level changes at this rate.

That is why I pointed out other possible geological causes, in post #6. What I was pointed out is the bad science that fails to contemplate other possible causes to explain the sinking and globalizes a local phenomena.

It's not rising everywhere? Whatever gave you that idea?

Common sense. If they were rising everywhere we should have noticed the rising happening in highly populated areas first. You shouldn´t have to go to a exotic island nobody heard of to notice the effect.

Or is this yet another conservofact you pulled out of your collective butts?

It is not my duty to prove that the phenomenon is global. It is the writers of the article´s duty to prove it. I was pointing out the bad science. First, they haven´t thought about other possible causes and second they take a local phenomenom as it were global.

Besides:
  • links posted by Urederra in this thread = 1
    [*]Links posted by UnderSeen in this thread = 0

You´d better follow the advices you are giving.

And stop trolling, please.

Furthermore, it doesn't rise everywhere by exactly the same amount.

I haven´t defended the opposite. Have you read my post?

Sea level is rising everywhere, and it's been rising faster since the advent of the industrial revolution than it has for the last 8,000 years or so.

I recomend to follow the advice you were giving at the beginning of your post.

EDIT: and if the sea level has been rising for the last 8000 years or so, it means that the rising is due, at least in part, to natural causes. isn´t it?

Ure, heard of the moon? That goes a long way to ensure more waters sloshing about the equator

Also due to the earths currents, water levels are higher.. for example due to North and South American being joined (they were once appart) The sea is considerably higher on the West coast.

Why big citys arn't in trouble..? they are! Everywhere citys are expending vast amounts of wealth battling the tides.. this island had no such expendature and so went atlantis on us.

I want pictures of an underwater island! Dead palms below the sea level most likely look fantastic!

So, now animals we don't know about are going extinct (White dolphin in China), dictators we don't know about of countries we don't know about are going extinct (dictator of Turkmenistan) and now islands we don't know about are going extinct! Great job everyone! Just one more thing we don't know about that goes extinct and I think we'll get a discount on something!

Really you could understand if this happened in say Greece where one or two Islands are sinking,albeit at a geological rate as they are want to do, due to plates pulling apart, but this is pretty slow even in a region as active as Greece, and besides this isn't happening in the middle of the Indian ocean. Basically as the Earth heats water expands and the sea levels rise. I'm sure they've accounted for any geological reasoning for this unless they're scientific qualifications aren't worth a bean.

Ure, heard of the moon? That goes a long way to ensure more waters sloshing about the equator

A Newfie friend of mine told me that the highest tides on Earth were actually in Nova Scotia, faaaaar away from the equator. And according to this link, he is right.

Also due to the earths currents, water levels are higher.. for example due to North and South American being joined (they were once appart) The sea is considerably higher on the West coast.
I know, that is why I didn´t say exactly the same increment, and I gave the example of the mediterranean sea. But anyway, if there is an increment in sea level, it should be noticeable everywhere in the oceans.

Why big citys arn't in trouble..? they are! Everywhere citys are expending vast amounts of wealth battling the tides.. this island had no such expendature and so went atlantis on us.

Man has been expending money and efforts protecting the coasts battling the tides and the erosion the waves cause for millenia, that is nothing new. The problem is article says that
Rising seas, caused by global warming, have for the first time washed an inhabited island off the face of the Earth.
It took me less than one minute to find a link to the submerged city in Japan I posted in my first post, and if you type "submerged ancient city" in google, you can find many more. That is not something that happens "for first time" as the article claims. And, according to UnderSeen, the sea rising phenomenon is something that has been happening for the last 8000 years, at least.

It seems to me that the journalist who wrote the article ties facts, causes, effects and links consequences too happily.

Man has been expending money and efforts protecting the coasts battling the tides and the erosion the waves cause for millenia, that is nothing new. The problem is article says that It took me less than one minute to find a link to the submerged city in Japan I posted in my first post, and if you type "submerged ancient city" in google, you can find many more. That is not something that happens "for first time" as the article claims. And, according to UnderSeen, the sea rising phenomenon is something that has been happening for the last 8000 years, at least.

It seems to me that the journalist who wrote the article ties facts, causes, effects and links consequences too happily.

Well it is pretty sensationalist, what it should say is global warming is causing this to happen, the Earth has been going throuigh a warming period for the last x years, we can directly attribute this deal to something other than geology. Given x, but he obviously has taken what the scientists ahave said at face value. I'm sure though they aren't just making it up to get attention and that their views that the major cause of the flooding is sea temperature rise, is correct, like I said unless their very poor scientists, whether this is post industrial global warming or just the nature of global warming in general over sustatined periods is what I think most people would ask.

Top Bottom