Language translations for leader sayings

Thanks for doing those, I hate not knowing what a leader is saying. I didn't realise 'well' had been borrowed into Welsh as 'wel', reminds me of how Irish turned 'well' into 'bhuel' (bh with u is 'w'). If you want to see Boudicca's leader screen YouTube user DanielChe6 uploaded it here. However he doesn't show the animation she does when proposing an offer which is really something else.

For those who know Dutch, Swedish or (Austrian) German there's still these to be translated:
William of Orange
Gustavus Adolphus
Maria Theresa

Also for anybody who wants to hear Attila's lines to assess whether it's gibberish or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkLvALGPLFs
or DanielChe6's leaderscreen vid with animations though not all the lines.
His lines are relatively long. I'm not sure how to interpret that in terms of whether it's even a language or not, they could very well be trying to drive the point home that it's gibberish. Bit of a shot in the dark here, but has anybody considered Tatar?

Okay, finally on this board as well and I guess it is good by starting using my German to translate the sentences of good old Maria ;)

Maria Theresa (Maria Theresia in German)

speaks modern German with an Austrian (Viennese, I think) dialect:

Intro: The Archduchess of Austria welcomes his Eminence... ahh... let's get it over with. At four we'll dine. (Die Erzherzogin von Österreich heißt Ihre Eminenz willkommen...ach... Bringen wir es hinter uns. Um vier wird gespeist.)

Peaceful: I see you admire my new damask. Nobody shall say that I am an unjust woman. Let's make a pact/agreement. (Ich sehe, Ihr bewundert meinen neuen Damast. Soll keiner sagen, ich sei eine ungerechte Frau. Treffen wir ein Abkommen!)

Defeated: What a pityful world. No beauty in it anymore, no wisdom. I am almost glad to go. (Die Welt is zum Erbarmen! Keine Schönheit mehr darinnen, keine Weisheit. Fast bin ich froh, dass ich geh'.)

Declare War: Too bad it had to come this far, but you wanted it like that. Next time, be so good, chose your words more wisely. (Schad, dass es soweit hat kommen müssen. Aber Ihr habt es so gewollt. Beim nächsten mal, seid so gut, wählt Eure Worte weiser.)

Attacked: What a fool you are! You will end swiftly and patheticly. (Was für ein Narr Ihr seid! Ihr werdet schnell und elendlich enden.)

NeutralYes01: old fashioned word in Southern-German & Austrian dialects for "Okay!" (Freilich!)

NeurtalYes02: Agreed! (Einverstanden!)

NeutralYes03: Very nice! (Sehr schön!)

No01: Certainly not! (Gewiss nicht!)

No02: We reject! (Wir lehnen ab!)

Neutral Let's hear: Go on! (Fahrt fort!)

Neutral hello: Hello! (literally "Greet God!")(Grüss Gott!)

HatesYes01: Well, if it must be. (Oh, wenn's sein muss.)

HatesYes02: I guess I have no other choice. (Es bleibt mir wohl nichts anderes übrig.)

HatesYes03: I agree! (Ich stimme zu!)

HatesNo01: That's unacceptable! (Das ist inakzeptabel!)

HatesNo02: You can't be serious?! (Das kann nicht euer Ernst sein?!)

HatesNo03: Pardon me? (Wie bitte?)

HateLetsHear01: Come again? (literally "You said?") (Ihr sagtet?)

HateLetsHear02: Go on! (Weiter!)

Hate Hello: Oh, it's you! (Oh, Ihr seid's!)

Could Attila be speaking Tuvan? The phonology seems to fit well, and AttilaNeutralNo02 is "no" in Tuvan. If so, he is obviously not a native speaker, but the language he is speaking could be so.

Possibly. The voice actor is credited enigmatically as "Vitali" (just one name, not first and last). I'm not sure what kind of name that is or who this person is, though.

Here are the dutch ones, did them myself as i am from Curacao (former dutch colony and still in the kingdom), got dutch since kindergarten. William uses a lot of antiquated words and grammar tough, nice touch.

Attacked:
"You call yourself a grand king, but i see nothing more then a barbarian in fancy dress!"
Gij noemt u zelf een verheven vorst, maar ik zie niet anders dan een fijn uitgedoste barbaar!

DeclareWar:
"Even tough i hate war, i gave an *laugh* order to the ministry... to whipe you out!"
Hoezeer ik oorlog ook verafschuw, ik acht het een *laugh* diesntbetoon aan de gemene zaak... om uw bestaan uit te wissen

Defeated:
"My god! Have grace on my soul. My god! Have mercy on this... on my poor people.
Mijn god! Wees mijn ziel genade. Mijn God! Hebt mededoog met dit... mij arme volk.

HateHello:
"What do you want?"
Wat begeert gij?

HateLetsHearIt01:
"What now?"
Wat nu?

HateLetsHearIt02:
"Huh?"
Uhm?

HateLetsHearIt03:
"Speak up!"
Spreek op!

HateNo01:
"That is unaceptable!"
Dat is onacceptabel!

HateNo02:
"You can't be serious?"
Dat kunt genieten erns menen?

HateNo03:
"Excuse me?"
Verschoon mij?

HateYes01:
"Very well"
Heel goed

HateYes02:
"I can't have it any other way"
Ik kan niet anders

HateYes03:
"Exelent!"
Uitstekend!

Intro:
"I am William of Orange, gouvernor of the Netherlands. Do you need something? I still have alot to do."
Ik ben Willem van Oranje, stadthouder over de Nederlanden. Behoeft gij iets? Mij staat nog veel te doen.

NeutralHello:
"Hello again"
Wederom gegroet

NeutralLetsHearIt01:
"Do what you want"
Gaat uw gang

NeutralLetsHearIt02:
"I'm listening"
Ik hoor

NeutralLetsHearIt03:
"Yes?"
Ja?

NeutralNo01:
"I must decline"
Ik moet weigeren

NeutralNo02:
"Ofcourse not!"
Zeker niet!

NeutralNo03:
"Rejected"
Afgewezen

NeutralYes01:
"Very well"
Heel goed

NeutralYes02:
"Exelent!"
Uitsekend!

NeutralYes03:
"Ok, agree"
Aldus, overeengekomen

Peacefull:
"Let this be a lesson to you, hopefully you will remember it.
Moge dit een les voor U geweest zijn, hopelijk zult gij die blijven gedenken.

Request:
"I believe i have something that may be of interest to you"
Ik geloof dat ik iets hebt wat U enig belang zal inboezemen

A quick nitpicking about Theresa. She is using the polite form Sie (as opposed to du), so I imagine her DOW for instance should be closer to:

Shame that it has come this far. But you wished it so/This was your wish.(lit. "You wanted it this way/like this" doesn't sound as polite as it should in English). Next time be so good to choose your words carefully.

The Peaceful one should be IMO:

I see you admire my new damask. Nobody should say that I am an unjust woman. Let's reach an agreement.

Defeated: The world is pitiful! There's no beauty in it, no wisdom. I am almost glad to go.

Patruso has translated them perfectly. What I post here are rather alternatives that slightly deviate from the literal translation in an attempt to capture her tone in English.

And please no GrooveShark. The site is blocked in Germany :crazyeye:

Overall she's awesome, they really nailed her. There is none of that slight awkwardness that I've come to associate with Bismark. Big thumbs up for Firaxis :)

Although it should be noted I am not a native German or Austrian, maybe there is something wrong with the dialect I don't detect. To me though she sounds Austrian for sure :D

So we have Welsh, Dutch and Austrian German essentially translated then? Great job guys.

These are still to be translated:
Gustavus Adolphus' Swedish
Theodora's Greek
Haile Selassie's Amharic
Pacal's (Yucatec?/Mayan language)

I'd say Pacal's attacked line is easily the most impossible to translate.

I don't have an ordered list of Attila's or Dido's up. I mostly did these uploads for people who want to translate before the Friday's international release, and I don't anticipate people translating them before that.

Funnily enough I'm in the international area but it activated for me on the 19th so I got the files. Maybe others did too, I don't know.

Wow, you are fast! It hasn't even been released yet!
Thanks for your contributions everybody, this is very interesting!

@EulerMcE: I can translate Dido, can you please upload her lines as well?

Hello there, I'm Greek and I've been studying ancient greek also for many years so I'd be glad to translate Theodora's lines. Leave it up on me! :)

Attacked : Νυν ,φίλε, αι ταραχαί ουν πρέπουσιν, διδάξομε σε μάθημα. (Nyn ,phile , ae tarahae oun prepousin, didaksome se mathima.) Now ,friend, that riots are needed, we'll teach you a lesson.

Declares War : Αεί αισχύνεται απόλυσθαι το κάλος. Ευτυχώς, ουκ οιούτως. (Aye aeschinete apolisthe to kalos .Eftychos, ouk ioutos.) It has always been a shame throwing away beauty. Thankfully, not like that.)

Defeated: Ελπίζω σε οίδεσθες αυτό και ό έδρασας. Γνώθι σε μόνον ετούτο τον κόσμο μηδείς οφελήσει προδότην. (Elpizo se idesthes afto kai o edrasas. Gnothi se monon etouto ton kosmo midis ofelisi prodotin.) I hope you knew that to act(and you acted) like that. Just know that in this world nobody will aid a traitor.

Hate agrees01 : Μάλιστα δει τα. (Malista di ta). It must be good.

Hate agrees02: Πού χρείμαι; (Pou chrimae?) Where am I needed?

Hate agrees03: Ομολογείται (Omologitae) Agreed

Hate disagrees01: (?)Τούτο δυσχερής (Touto dischaeris) That's unlikely.

Hate disagrees02: Ουκ ει σπουδαίως (ouk y spoudaeos). Definitely not

Hate disagrees03 : Συν συγνώμιν έχων;! ( syn sygnomin echon?!). Excuse me?!

Hate hello: (?)

Hate Letshearit01 : Ειπέ μοι ( Ipe mi ) Tell me

Hate Letshearit02 : Τι; (Ti?) What?

Hate Letshearit03: Προχώρει (Prochori) Move on

Will be adding more soon

Thanks all! Added them all and credited your names. For convenience, would you guys make sure to put the translations in this format?

SoundFileName Excellent. ("Excelente.")

I know we've had this topic for vanilla, so what languages are the new leaders speaking? Some of them are very obvious, while a couple not as much.

Willem - Dutch (obviously)

Maria Theresa - German (obviously), probably with an Austrian accent?

Gustavus - Swedish (obviously)

Haile Selassie - Amharic, more than likely.

Theodora - Greek?

Pacal - Mayan, though I wouldn't be able to say which dialect. Probably Yucatec.

Boudica - Gaelic, not sure which kind.

Dido - ??

Attila - ????

Moderator Action: Merged with the main language thread.

@Morningcalm: Again, if you need more space, you have to say it. It's not complicated for me to insert 2 or 3 more posts after your first, so that the translations can be closer together.

Dido speaks a Phoenician dialect. Boudicca speaks Welsh. Attila is the big mystery. Even the voice actor is enigmatic.

Boudica - Gaelic, not sure which kind.
Boudica speaks Welsh which isn't a Gaelic language. I find it interesting that Welsh seems to be talked about less even though it is by far the most spoken Celtic language. As an aside this reminds me that a lot of non-Irish seem to refer to Irish as 'Irish Gaelic' more often than not which always seemed strange to me.

This is coming late, but can anyone explain why Napoleon 'tutoies' when he speaks? That is, why does he use 'tu' instead of 'vous'? In any French conversation among world leaders, they'd use vous without question. Familiarity would have nothing to do with it.

It's an odd eccentricity that bothers me whenever I negotiate with Napoleon. It's like he's being purposely abrasive or condescending, which might actually suit his personality.

This is coming late, but can anyone explain why Napoleon 'tutoies' when he speaks? That is, why does he use 'tu' instead of 'vous'? In any French conversation among world leaders, they'd use vous without question. Familiarity would have nothing to do with it.

It's an odd eccentricity that bothers me whenever I negotiate with Napoleon. It's like he's being purposely abrasive or condescending, which might actually suit his personality.
Maybe it's to reflect his disestablishment of the aristocracy, and thus, any sense of formality? Also, it's used less often in Montreal, so more people would be used to it, I suppose.

Top Bottom