Straw Poll - why don't you always play Sid level?

Ah, I forgot that one... Good tip! And I also forgot the anarchy period.
With "at era change" I meant the "barbarian uprising" that happens, when two nations switch from the ancient age to middle age. (Could be that it also happens at later era switches, but I guess by the time two nations enter the industrial age, there are usually no barb camps left on the map, so no one would notice...)
But yes: I believe the number of barb horsemen that are spawned by each barb nest at "era change" depends on the difficulty level. On Warlord or so the barb uprisings never cause any particular trouble, while on Deity I regularly get run over by 24 barb horsemen per barb camp...

So here is a complete list:

Influence of difficulty level in multi-player games, even if no AIs are present in the game
  • the tech costs go up
  • the barbarian activity increases (barb units appear more often, the barbarian uprising at era change spawns more barb units per existing barb camp)
  • the combat bonus against barbarian decreases
  • the probability to find anything useful in goody huts decreases.
  • the "average" duration of anarchy periods increases (for non-religious civs)

Hmm, I thought the number of barbarians that spawned in a barbarian uprising depended on the selected barbarian activity level. 8 on Roaming, 16 on Restless, 24 on Raging. But I haven't looked at this scientifically.

I played Civ 3 about 10+ years ago and yet I never play Sid level due to insane difficulty.
Speaking of Sid level, I noticed that no one ever submitted large histographic victory yet.

You're right, and no Standard victories, either. An easy way to get a #1 spot in the Hall of Fame! Well, maybe not. I think it's probably because if someone wants on the HOF for Sid Histographic, Tiny or Small is easier and much quicker, whereas the milkruns go for Huge. Although there haven't been that many Huge, either. Maybe because Moonsinger's 88,000 seemed so impossible to reach for so long, maybe because it's just really tough to win on Sid on big maps.

When I started playing this game 11+ years ago my goal was to beat the game. I barely beat chieftain the first time but each successive level got easier up to emperor where I lost to the AI. After a little more research and strategy I went on to beat the game at all levels.

I however am not that efficient (time spent) so while I can beat the game on Sid the amount of time required to do so moves the effort from fun to work. If I did not have teenagers and a full time job I suspect I could find time to play Sid though my first priority would be to move up in the CivFanatics HOF.

Because I regularly let my cities fall into disorder.

I'm just not paying enough attention these days. Maybe I should try, though? I used to play on Demigod with intense focus but half-focused I do better on Emperor today than I did while concentrating back then. So I guess if I had a few cups of coffee I could beat Deity and after re-reading strategies could pull off Sid. Maybe.

But I'd rather play Civ4 or Civ5, or continue on Emperor.

My most fun games were on Regent and Monarch back in the day.

Top Bottom