[MODULE] Reformed Liches

odalrick

Emperor
Reformed Liches
Better dying through unholy rituals

This module changes liches to using a phylactery, an object of some sort that keeps their soul safe while their body is out, kicking babies and takin' names.

Should their body somehow be destroyed, it causes only minor discomfort as they can simply form a new one.

Creating a phylactery requires many rare components and can only be done in cities. Also, Liches don't trust each other, or anyone else for that matter, so they will never allow anyone else to construct a phylactery in their city.

Along with the phylactery, the mage will create guardians, a deep lair and as many elaborate traps as they can think of. They would never, ever consider risking their own existence unless it is absolutely necessary, so the phylactery defends last. If I knew how to, it would defend after zero strength units.

For each third level spell sphere, the phylactery gains 1 affinity for that sphere, from the many new traps that are installed in the lair. The phylactery also starts with 1 affinity for death mana as the phylactery passively drains life from the surrounding area.

Even though the Phylactery is hidden and shielded by protective spells, some of the magic still leaks out. Every city within two tiles get 1:mad: and 2:yuck: as the vile energies cause crops to wither and madmen to rage. Those minor inconveniences are compensated by the sage advice a lich can provide when casting or shielding from rituals.

Though the phylactery can never be moved, the lich is not confined to it's lair. It can shift part of it's soul into a new body which is free to walk around Erebus, steal candy from small children, litter or whatever it is beings made of solid evil do in their spare time. Doing so is taxing however, and prevents the phylactery from casting spells.

---

Essentially, liches work like Balseraph puppets except liches don't have a duration and their master (the phylactery) can't cast while they exist.

Installation

Download and run Reformed Liches 1.2.exe . It will suggest installation in the Rise from Erebus modmod, but it works with Fall Further as well.

Alternatively download the source directly from Google Code

I downloaded the file but now I am confused about the installing of this mod

First there is even a addetional Sub Directory Named "extra defences", I think this is some optional thing, right?
Second the is a File Called "Reformed_Liches.yaml", whats this?

Edit: Ohh and can I add it to a allready runing game when there is no Channeling III unit so fare?

I'll have to try this sometime, it sounds neat.

Now, will somebody explain to me how a two year old topic - Can Pedophiles Be Reformed? - in the Off-Topic forum is similar to this thread? :l

I downloaded the file but now I am confused about the installing of this mod

Just unpack to modules, just as everything else.

First there is even a addetional Sub Directory Named "extra defences", I think this is some optional thing, right?

It gives phylacteries the affinity from level 3 spells. I thought some people might think that affinity from all mana is too much I made it easy to disable. Also it was really easy.

Second the is a File Called "Reformed_Liches.yaml", whats this?

That's the readme file. It's a plain text file, like XML, only it's yaml.

Edit: Ohh and can I add it to a allready runing game when there is no Channeling III unit so fare?

Not sure, but I'd guess no. It adds a unit and promotions so I think it will mess with the indexing.

Thanks ,never seen the .yaml ending bevore and was wondering that there is no description about the extra directory ^^. Changed the ending to .txt so I could read it because I dont have any Program that know this ending and its no file civ 4 uses.

I'll have to try this sometime, it sounds neat.

Now, will somebody explain to me how a two year old topic - Can Pedophiles Be Reformed? - in the Off-Topic forum is similar to this thread? :l

The word Reformed?

Very humorous write up for the mod, good stuff. Downloaded it yesterday and haven't managed to acquire a lich yet, but I'm sure I will.

Still, doesn't it always boggle the mind that in classic D&D scenarios, the phylactery of a lich is always closely guarded, all kinds of elaborate traps and whatnot, but eventually if you bypass all those, there it is on a pedestal or whatever? Why not just put it in a lead box (proof against about 3/4 of detection spells you could think of) and bury it in the garden? Could be the size of a pack of smokes, turning a city upside down to find it could take years. Ah well.

*or it could get dropped in the sewers like Xykon's, and you need ten thousand hobgoblins to start "panning for gold" :)

Still, doesn't it always boggle the mind that in classic D&D scenarios, the phylactery of a lich is always closely guarded, all kinds of elaborate traps and whatnot, but eventually if you bypass all those, there it is on a pedestal or whatever? Why not just put it in a lead box (proof against about 3/4 of detection spells you could think of) and bury it in the garden? Could be the size of a pack of smokes, turning a city upside down to find it could take years. Ah well.

*or it could get dropped in the sewers like Xykon's, and you need ten thousand hobgoblins to start "panning for gold" :)

Probably because anyone that is even remotely a threat to a lich will have access to those one fourth of spells that will detect the phylactery through lead. Even if it was proof against all but one spell, that's still one spell too many to risk leaving the phylactery unguarded. It's not a case of everyone getting together and randomly choosing one spell to search for the phylactery and giving up if it fails.

Plus, when they reform their body, they probably want to arrive somewhere useful.

Xykon could use that to place an upper limit on the time needed to find his phylactery. 1d10 days...

Maybe the Phylactery is notified of the Lich's demise and need to be resurrected through something very similar to such a detection spell, and so would not be able to serve its purpose if shielded like that?

Maybe the Lich needs room around the Phylactery to physically regenerate?

Maybe the Phylactery is notified of the Lich's demise and need to be resurrected through something very similar to such a detection spell, and so would not be able to serve its purpose if shielded like that?

Maybe the Lich needs room around the Phylactery to physically regenerate?

or part of the soul resides in the Phylactery and so needs a swanky place to stay
hey what about having it be a jewel and encrusting it on a black dragons head? ;)

Dragons have a tendancy to attract lots of attention from big scary heroes. It's not a good place to store something valuable, I think.

Dragons have a tendancy to attract lots of attention from big scary heroes. It's not a good place to store something valuable, I think.

go tell that to Tebryn Arbandi and Abashi

Should the phylactery effect the city in any way? :mad: or :yuck: Or maybe just for a time after a Lich is summoned?

Should summoning a body (lich) reduce population? Like vampire feeding.

Can more than one phylactery reside in the same city?

Top Bottom