Religions

Here's another thing I would like to fine-tune when I get back: I don't know about you but right now I very very seldom use missionaries, if I use them at all. Do you have the same feeling? I think I should greatly reduce automatic religion spreading until renaissance. Opinions?

Yes, same here:)
No need to use missionaries, spread factors should be way down..

I use them to spread manually religion after I get ocean-going ships. It's fun to convert the overseas nations to the One True Religion.

Passive spread does seem way too speedy yes. Not very often there's any need to build missionaries unless you're going to stick them in caravels and send them off continent.

While my State religion seldom needs a missionary to spread to my own cities, I do use them to spread a second (and sometimes even third) one, if I have their holy cities (usually conquered from a neighbour...).
I might send one along with a settler to give the religious bonuses to a newly founded city, especially after the mid-medieval era.
And of course when I get ocean going ships, it's mass conversion time for the other continents!

I use missionaries extensively only to spread multiple religions (those whose holy cities I own) to all of my own cities, for the extra gold the holy city shrines make.

I don't play with Revolutions, so there's little downside to having multiple religions, especially when it makes useful buildings much more available / numerous.

Maybe you could also increase the decay rate when having too many religions in a city?

I don't know what are the experiences of others but I think inquisitions are buggy. When I try to use inquisition in a holy city I literally always fail to chase out religions. Not only the religion that is seated there but all other non state religions. Holy city relocation is off and according to tool tip I was expecting to leave only my state religion and the holy city religion in the city but inquisition always failed.

To be honest, my early game strategy almost always ends up with a rush towards Aesthetics/Meditation to get the Shwedagon Paya and swap to atheist.

Holy city relocation doesn't work, at least never has for me.

With holy city relocation off, it won't be relocated when its purged during a inquisition, it will just cease to exist.

Same as if the city was raised.

Note : As I understand it, if another civilization, has 2 or more cities with the religion to be purged/city to be raised, they holy city will relocate, when holy city relocation option is enabled. Without limited religions being enabled.

With Limited religions, it would only go to a civ, that HASN'T a Holy city, and has 2 cities with that purged religion.

I play with holy city relocation, but have never experience this. 45 Deg, has noted, that it works in Realism Invicitus.

Maybe you could also increase the decay rate when having too many religions in a city?

I don't know what are the experiences of others but I think inquisitions are buggy. When I try to use inquisition in a holy city I literally always fail to chase out religions. Not only the religion that is seated there but all other non state religions. Holy city relocation is off and according to tool tip I was expecting to leave only my state religion and the holy city religion in the city but inquisition always failed.
Noted. It's all on my to-do list.

Top Bottom